Getting rid of the DMSO "smell"

R

RVEXLER

Awards
Ok, just mixed in the supplied DMSO with the T-Gel and added 12 grams each to two bottles of it. My problem is the smell of garlic!!! Already been pointed out to me by co-workers so I have to do something. Don't really like the idea of throwing out almost two full bottles and starting over. So, did a search on DMSO and found two suggestions:

1) Parsley Oil

2) Scented Oil (e.g. tangerine, etc.) added to the t-gel.

Wanted to get some feedback from those that have tried either and what results they have had as well as the amounts used.

Thanks a bunch!!!!

C

curt2go

Homebrew Help, Inc.
Awards
  • Established
How much are you putting on. Once I get over 10mls/day then I notice it but only on my breath.. TTY

Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog

Obese Member
Awards
  • Established
The scented oil works, but only for skin odor. I am partial to the tangerine.

If I exceed 1.2 ml/day of DMSO, my breath stinks no matter what I do. Breath strips help. Oh yea, and brush your damn teeth :D

No matter what you do, don't ask Curt for his advice. He will have you smelling like a girl ;)

R

RVEXLER

Awards
The scented oil works, but only for skin odor. I am partial to the tangerine.

If I exceed 1.2 ml/day of DMSO, my breath stinks no matter what I do. Breath strips help. Oh yea, and brush your damn teeth :D

No matter what you do, don't ask Curt for his advice. He will have you smelling like a girl ;)
I think that the smell is from my breath. I am doing 12ml a day of the t-gel (3 ml from each bottle, twice a day). One bottle has 12 grams of boldenone base and the other has 12 grams of test base.

Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog

Obese Member
Awards
  • Established
At 12 ml/day, assuming 10% DMSO, you are running 1.2 ml/day-DMSO. Your breath is very likely going to stink. This is going to vary slightly depending on your body weight. Chew lots of gum and carry breath strips.

Or, you could just try holding your breath :p

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
you only used 10% dmso in both of the bottles and it still smells like garlic? hmm i didnt havE that problem.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
you only used 10% dmso in both of the bottles and it still smells like garlic? hmm i didnt have that problem.
Me either. Interesting it seems even this is different for different people.

S

SCORPIO

Awards
  • Established
I didn't get to much of the garlic breath or body odor. What you can do next time is add d-limonene at 5%.....just drop the IPM to 25% if you are using the recipe on this board. If you just made the bottles, you could prolly just add 5% d-lim, to your current solution, which might throw it off a bit, but not by much.

M

mauibuilt

Awards
  • Established
is it just me?

its weird, when i cycled, i did not stink, well did not notice it...but i did post cycle, smelt it on my towel, i guess after bathing all my pores opened up.

anyone have this smell only appear at the end of cycles and continue post?

living2die

living2die

Awards
chances are, you do stink. i could slightly detect an odor on my breath but other than that, i couldn't detect any other body odor. my own mother first told me i smelt like pea soup, than she told me i smelled like creamed corn. her sister has a terminal case of cancer (multiple myoloma sp?) and has received stem cell transplants. apparently they use dmso for said transplants because she told me i smelled like her sister after the dmso/stem cell transplant lol

WHERE CAN I BUY GAYLORD CHEMICAL'S DMSO ? CAN I BUY IT OFF OF THEIR SITE ?

is it just me?

its weird, when i cycled, i did not stink, well did not notice it...but i did post cycle, smelt it on my towel, i guess after bathing all my pores opened up.

anyone have this smell only appear at the end of cycles and continue post?

living2die

living2die

Awards
So where does aggregate DMSO volume per application meet the breaking point, where one is no longer able to stave off the odor sides of DMSO?

>1.2 mL DMSO = garlic breath
>3-5 mL DMSO = garlic breath and garlic body odor ?

chances are, you do stink. i could slightly detect an odor on my breath but other than that, i couldn't detect any other body odor. my own mother first told me i smelt like pea soup, than she told me i smelled like creamed corn. her sister has a terminal case of cancer (multiple myoloma sp?) and has received stem cell transplants. apparently they use dmso for said transplants because she told me i smelled like her sister after the dmso/stem cell transplant lol

WHERE CAN I BUY GAYLORD CHEMICAL'S DMSO ? CAN I BUY IT OFF OF THEIR SITE ?

centeroiler

centeroiler

Awards
So where does aggregate DMSO volume per application meet the breaking point, where one is no longer able to stave off the odor sides of DMSO?

>1.2 mL DMSO = garlic breath
>3-5 mL DMSO = garlic breath and garlic body odor ?
This is highly subjective and depends on ones body chemistry and the purity of the DMSO. Are these figures from an actual study or conjecture on your part? I've never seen this before.

The "smell" from DMSO is almost entirely from the breakdown of DMSO and its resulting metabolites. The 99.9% pure DMSO I use has virtually no odor out of the bottle. Its not until it enters your body and is broken down, do the sulfur metabolites emit the dreaded odor associated with DMSO.
There is really no way around it. I've heard from numerous people that so-called "odorless" DMSO is a farce, and that after it was applied its metabolites smelled just the same as any other DMSO. Just apply the minimum amount and you'll be fine. If you keep on applying a lot of it, it builds up in the body and you're gonna smell.

living2die

living2die

Awards
Thanks centeroiler,
I am interested in this 'cumulative' effect of DMSO. I can keep my aggregate DMSO (Arkema brand DMSO 99.9% pure USP) volume between 1-2 mL...am I going to have body odor issues?

This is highly subjective and depends on ones body chemistry and the purity of the DMSO. Are these figures from an actual study or conjecture on your part? I've never seen this before.

The "smell" from DMSO is almost entirely from the breakdown of DMSO and its resulting metabolites. The 99.9% pure DMSO I use has virtually no odor out of the bottle. Its not until it enters your body and is broken down, do the sulfur metabolites emit the dreaded odor associated with DMSO.
There is really no way around it. I've heard from numerous people that so-called "odorless" DMSO is a farce, and that after it was applied its metabolites smelled just the same as any other DMSO. Just apply the minimum amount and you'll be fine. If you keep on applying a lot of it, it builds up in the body and you're gonna smell.

centeroiler

centeroiler

Awards
Thanks centeroiler,
I am interested in this 'cumulative' effect of DMSO. I can keep my aggregate DMSO (Arkema brand DMSO 99.9% pure USP) volume between 1-2 mL...am I going to have body odor issues?
I have no way of knowing how much DMSO makes you smell bro. lmao.:laugh:

Just try it. Any odor goes away within a day or two once you stop using it, anyway.

living2die

living2die

Awards
If you go over to cuttingedgemuscle, jboldman would go toe to toe with you in arguing that gaylord chem brand DMSO is indeed odor free. jboldman notices that the garlicy odor on the breath is still present, just not the body odor itself. so while it might not be entirely odorless, it certainly comes pretty close.

well if you have no other information on this subject, i am going to assume that anything over 2-3mL of DMSO will cause odor issues. my conjecture is based off of the T-1 product (not sure if it is made anymore) of 2003. They used 240mL of a TDS, and 24mL of DMSO in their admixture. They did this for a reason...1mL ED or less total aggregate volume (assuming that you use less than 10mL of the T-1 formula), you will not suffer body odor issues.

"I just received a bottle of T-1. It's the older version with 24ml of DMSO, and a 240ml bottle of T-1. I know that your supposed to mix 10%, but I have also heard of irratation. Has anyone tried using les than 10% or even 5%?, or is 10% the set ammount."

Not exactly sure on the number but it would improve a tiny bit. But you have to start worrying about bad breath and smelling like DMSO:(
Not worth it if you ask me

I have no way of knowing how much DMSO makes you smell bro. lmao.:laugh:

Just try it. Any odor goes away within a day or two once you stop using it, anyway.

centeroiler

centeroiler

Awards
I honestly have no desire to go toe to toe with anyone, I'm just relaying what I was told by others. I have never used Gaylord's "odorless" DMSO so I can't say from personal experience. I did try to get some for that very purpose (to try) from Gaylord and they wouldn't sell to me. Where did jboldman get his? That I want to know, so maybe we could buy some to try.

I don't understand why are you hanging your hat on a set cutoff point for when DMSO will make you smell? Unless, you are making up a big batch of something and don't want to go overboard with the DMSO. This is not the best way to use DMSO though anyway. It should be applied minimally straight before your TD formula. This way you can also precisely control the amount used independent of your TD.

I'm all for trying Gaylord's if I could get it. BTW, I wonder if jboldman is assessing his own stink, or does he have someone else smelling him? LOL!

I went over to cutting edge. I couldn't find the post where he says he actually used it. He refers to it as being orderless but thats it. Do you have the actual thread/post?

If you go over to cuttingedgemuscle, jboldman would go toe to toe with you in arguing that gaylord chem brand DMSO is indeed odor free. jboldman notices that the garlicy odor on the breath is still present, just not the body odor itself. so while it might not be entirely odorless, it certainly comes pretty close.

well if you have no other information on this subject, i am going to assume that anything over 2-3mL of DMSO will cause odor issues. my conjecture is based off of the T-1 product (not sure if it is made anymore) of 2003. They used 240mL of a TDS, and 24mL of DMSO in their admixture. They did this for a reason...1mL ED or less total aggregate volume (assuming that you use less than 10mL of the T-1 formula), you will not suffer body odor issues.

"I just received a bottle of T-1. It's the older version with 24ml of DMSO, and a 240ml bottle of T-1. I know that your supposed to mix 10%, but I have also heard of irratation. Has anyone tried using les than 10% or even 5%?, or is 10% the set ammount."

living2die

living2die

Awards
jboldman is one crafty SOB...sly as a fox and smart as a wip!!! jboldman has a wife whom he is very forward with, and lets her know what he is using...she has never expressed any discontent with DMSO odor sides related to his gaylord chem brand odorless DMSO. (i reiterate that jboldman does report mild garlic breath odor but not body odor, which is really the only thing i am concerned with, as i have no problem chewing a palatable smelling gum).

yeh i am on board with you in using DMSO as a pretreatment only, because DMSO tends to work far more efficiently as a PE rather than just a carrier. When DMSO is used as a carrier, you have to use a substantially high volume in proportion to TDS aggregate volume (like greater than 90%). Therefore, I save money and irritation and get more DMSO per mile when using it just as a PE. I apply DMSO to application site about 5 minutes before TDS application of an admixture of (IPM, IPA, Oleic Acid, and Ethyl Alcohol). Works real well and absorbs super quick.

I honestly have no desire to go toe to toe with anyone, I'm just relaying what I was told by others. I have never used Gaylord's "odorless" DMSO so I can't say from personal experience. I did try to get some for that very purpose (to try) from Gaylord and they wouldn't sell to me. Where did jboldman get his? That I want to know, so maybe we could buy some to try.

I don't understand why are you hanging your hat on a set cutoff point for when DMSO will make you smell? Unless, you are making up a big batch of something and don't want to go overboard with the DMSO. This is not the best way to use DMSO though anyway. It should be applied minimally straight before your TD formula. This way you can also precisely control the amount used independent of your TD.

I'm all for trying Gaylord's if I could get it. BTW, I wonder if jboldman is assessing his own stink, or does he have someone else smelling him? LOL!

centeroiler

centeroiler

Awards
I apply 1ml+ a day for pre-treat and arthritis and I have no problems at all with odor. The Arkema I get is super pure @ 99.99% and has absolutely no smell out of the bottle. My buddy ultra-purifies his. He runs his through a Steri-cup filter @ .45 microns and a .20 micro Millipore and I'll bet its every bit as pure, or purer as Procipient. That's what I call sly. He sells it in small quantities to the bros at the gym. It just makes a great DMSO even better, with no bull**** from Gaylord, and no smell in even higher doses.

Peace.

living2die

living2die

Awards
c-oiler...

how much arkema brand DMSO are you using per application, in terms of volume ? 1mL seems to be the odor carrying capacity of DMSO in general, even in respect to the higher purity Arkema brand DMSO which I also am using. I could care less about bad breath. This is the cost that I accept for fame. I am most concerned with body odor. I think there has to be a general set quotient for avoiding DMSO body odor.

I apply 1ml+ a day for pre-treat and arthritis and I have no problems at all with odor. The Arkema I get is super pure @ 99.99% and has absolutely no smell out of the bottle. My buddy ultra-purifies his. He runs his through a Steri-cup filter @ .45 microns and a .20 micro Millipore and I'll bet its every bit as pure, or purer as Procipient. That's what I call sly. He sells it in small quantities to the bros at the gym. It just makes a great DMSO even better, with no bull**** from Gaylord, and no smell in even higher doses.

Peace.

living2die

living2die

Awards
How long does DMSO remain an active penetration enhancer on the skin ? I applied a spritz of cologne to my collar bone like 3 hrs. after I had applied a pretreatment of DMSO and eventually my TDS PREG and noticed that I could taste the Polo Explorer fragrance, emanating from my breath ? It sure beats DMSO breath, but this can't be healthy???? Anyone with any thoughts ?

W

washingtonirvin

Awards
I have a thought... don't use DMSO! I was once hospitalized after using DMSO; the compound is no longer widely used by the medical profession because of its side effects, notably its ability to carry pathogens to where they can cause real damage in the body, into the cerebro-spinal fluid in my case, causing meningitis.

I am the last person to tell you not to play mad scientist, the last person to tell you not to question accepted medical wisdom, but I think DMSO is very unsafe. I have had good results with Phlojel, no side effects there.

Bad breath was the least of my worries when I was racking up a $12,000 hospital bill and facing withdrawal from opioid painkillers.

Just a thought.

Washingtonirvin

living2die

living2die

Awards
No that isn't true. Please don't make conjectures you cannot support. My aunt just had a stem cell transplant at a Seattle, WA hospital. What did they use to transfer the stem cells into her body? DMSO. At the highest level of cutting edge science, (i.e. stem cell transplants, an operation which costs $250,000 per transplant, and she is getting multiple), they are using DMSO. You tell me why you think they are doing this if DMSO is so unsafe ? DMSO is widely used throughout the world. The medical profession is also falsifying diseases like ADD, ADHD off of subjective analysis, dolling out thousands upon thousands of amphetamine pills to 8 yr olds. Why should I trust anything the medical profession has to say about anything?

I do believe that simple safety precautions can be taken to render DMSO a safe substance. DMSO should only be administered pre treatment for a TDS, at less than 1mL PD.

I have a thought... don't use DMSO! I was once hospitalized after using DMSO; the compound is no longer widely used by the medical profession because of its side effects, notably its ability to carry pathogens to where they can cause real damage in the body, into the cerebro-spinal fluid in my case, causing meningitis.

I am the last person to tell you not to play mad scientist, the last person to tell you not to question accepted medical wisdom, but I think DMSO is very unsafe. I have had good results with Phlojel, no side effects there.

Bad breath was the least of my worries when I was racking up a $12,000 hospital bill and facing withdrawal from opioid painkillers.

Just a thought.

Washingtonirvin

W

washingtonirvin

Awards
What isn't true? What is the conjecture I can't support? And why use DMSO when there are safer alternatives?

I didn't say DMSO isn't used at all by the medical community. You're knocking down a straw man there...

W

washingtonirvin

Awards
"Why should I trust anything the medical profession has to say about anything?"

Trust who you want. Some studies are good, some are bad. You be the judge.

living2die

living2die

Awards
If you can inject it, drink it, apply it to your skin, in doses consistent with the effective dose of DMSO...I would say that if you can three of these criterion, you are dealing with a pretty safe compound. DMSO satisfies all three.

I'm sorry I didn't inquire earlier, but how were you using DMSO ? What caused the accident ? Was it negligence on your part, or was it not due to your own human error ? I will be more cautious in the future...I don't want to be a statistic.

living2die

living2die

Awards
Also what volume in terms of mL were you using, how were you using DMSO, and did you suffer any stinky sides, and if so, at what mL dose were you using ?

If you can inject it, drink it, apply it to your skin, in doses consistent with the effective dose of DMSO...I would say that if you can three of these criterion, you are dealing with a pretty safe compound. DMSO satisfies all three.

I'm sorry I didn't inquire earlier, but how were you using DMSO ? What caused the accident ? Was it negligence on your part, or was it not due to your own human error ? I will be more cautious in the future...I don't want to be a statistic.

W

washingtonirvin

Awards
Thank you living2die. I only posted out of concern for you guys.

DMSO itself is not the problem. The problem is DMSO in the presence of toxins or pathogens. The DMSO can transport them from places where they are harmless to places where they are very harmful indeed.

" Also what volume in terms of mL were you using, how were you using DMSO, and did you suffer any stinky sides, and if so, at what mL dose were you using ? "

This was back in 2004, not sure what % it was. I do recall that it left a red burn where I used it. And yes, I had a bit of the garlic breath, though I don't recall it lasting for long.

I was always hygenic in my use of DMSO. The problem was that there was something that was inside me that was causing no problems, but caused meningitis when the DMSO brought it into the cerebro-spinal fluid.

I have had no such problems with other transdermal carriers.

living2die

living2die

Awards
When I was using straight DMSO gel, I was suffering from the burn as well. But I have compromised this problem with spiking the liquid DMSO with just the smallest trace of glycerol, this seems to mitigate the sides. I only use USP Arkema 99.9% pure stuff now.

DMSO itself is not the problem. The problem is DMSO in the presence of toxins or pathogens. The DMSO can transport them from places where they are harmless to places where they are very harmful indeed.

" Also what volume in terms of mL were you using, how were you using DMSO, and did you suffer any stinky sides, and if so, at what mL dose were you using ? "

This was back in 2004, not sure what % it was. I do recall that it left a red burn where I used it. And yes, I had a bit of the garlic breath, though I don't recall it lasting for long.

I was always hygenic in my use of DMSO. The problem was that there was something that was inside me that was causing no problems, but caused meningitis when the DMSO brought it into the cerebro-spinal fluid.

centeroiler

centeroiler

Awards
Hey bro, sorry to hear that. I'm not saying this didn't happen to you so don't take it that way, but are you sure it was the DMSO? I have heard that in theory this could happen but yours would be the only case I have ever heard of where it was proven to have happened.

Wow, if true a mixture of alcohol with the DMSO would be a good idea.

Just a thought.

Washingtonirvin

centeroiler

centeroiler

Awards
How long does DMSO remain an active penetration enhancer on the skin ? I applied a spritz of cologne to my collar bone like 3 hrs. after I had applied a pretreatment of DMSO and eventually my TDS PREG and noticed that I could taste the Polo Explorer fragrance, emanating from my breath ? It sure beats DMSO breath, but this can't be healthy???? Anyone with any thoughts ?
Thats revealing. Obviously the DMSO and maybe the TDS is still active after all that time. Wow. What else could it be? I would not apply anything in the same area then. That must taste awful!

living2die

living2die

Awards
HaHa, yeh, be extra careful ! After cutting the DMSO dose down to 1mL per day, I don't even notice the DMSO induced breath, although I hear that over a long enough timeline, one becomes immune to it. In any case, I no longer find my 'mind in disturbia' everytime I am around other people, watching their expressions out of the corner of my eye to see if they make a 'thizz face' lol:raincloud:

Thats revealing. Obviously the DMSO and maybe the TDS is still active after all that time. Wow. What else could it be? I would not apply anything in the same area then. That must taste awful!

living2die

living2die

Awards
this question is fair game to everyone, what is the efficacy of d-limonene in equalizing out the dmso related odor ?

in order to combat the dmso odor, i just purchased some d-limonine for fragrance enhancing properties. i will use it at 5% total volume. have you ever used d-limonine to kill the skin odor from dmso? i think this might be the panacea i have been looking for

M

mistfall

Awards
Proven fact or possible coincidence?

washingtonirvin,
After reading your post I've been searching for any published research that says DMSO has been proven to carry pathogens into the CNS, or even any other claims that it does so, and can't find a single article on it.. I wonder very much if you or your doctors came to the conclusion that DMSO caused your problem out of speculation rather than any real evidence. Just because somebody does "X" before they get sick does not mean that "X" is what caused them to get sick, after all.