alcohol hand sanitizer as TD base

lifthardheavy

Awards
I have in front of me a $1 bottle of target brand hand gel (for cleaning your hands when you don't have water/soap nearby).

Ingredients: ethyl alcohol 62%, carbomer, fragrance, glycerin, isopropyl alcohol, isopropyl myristate, propylene glycol, vitamin E, water.

seems it would make a convenient TD base at 1/20 the cost of dmso or phlojel. And you'd smell good afterward. :)

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I'd PM or email this to Dr. D - he could help you with this.

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Your hand gelwill work as TD carrier to some extend. But propably not as well as proper TD carrier or DMSO. You could maybe copmpare it to the old TDs from Biotest and ergopharm. these were made of 80% ethyl alcohol and 20% isopropyl myristate, for an absorption rate of around 10%.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Things to consider:

What final concentration of active will it accomodate?

What do you know about the penetrative qualities of the ingredients?

How will you incorporate the base powder into compound? (with all that etoh it will evaporate quickly in room air)

Will the compound eventually dry the application sites? (please do not fall back on the fact that PG & Vit E are ingredients)

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Johnny - where the hell is your Cartman av????
I had to look twice to make sure that was really you - without the av.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Yes, briiinnngg baaack the aaaaavy.

fatsuperman

fatsuperman

Awards
  • Established
I'm confused

You get your gear?

now you are going to fret how to use it transdermally?

I don't understand it, phlojel can be ordered legally, and DMSO can be purchased at the local farm supply store. Why are people settleing for 10% absorbtion when they can get 25 to 30% legally for a few bucks more?

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Johnny - where the hell is your Cartman av????
I had to look twice to make sure that was really you - without the av.
:blink: I didn't notice it was missing.

lifthardheavy

Awards
You get your gear?

now you are going to fret how to use it transdermally?

I don't understand it, phlojel can be ordered legally, and DMSO can be purchased at the local farm supply store. Why are people settleing for 10% absorbtion when they can get 25 to 30% legally for a few bucks more?
$1 versus $75 (phlojel), is not "a few bucks". in this case, the gear is cheaper than the carrier.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
What final concentration of active will it accomodate?

What do you know about the penetrative qualities of the ingredients?

How will you incorporate the base powder into compound? (with all that etoh it will evaporate quickly in room air)

Will the compound eventually dry the application sites? (please do not fall back on the fact that PG & Vit E are ingredients)
etoh?

Is there a cheaper and more legal product than gear that we could try in this that could tell us whether it worked or not?

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Ethyl alcohol, i write in charts all day it's easier:)

Is there a cheaper and more legal product than gear that we could try in this that could tell us whether it worked or not?[/QUOTE]I guess you could use ibuprofen. I do not know if it is cheaper than some base powders though.

fatsuperman

fatsuperman

Awards
  • Established
Phlo jel is only $20 if you order the 100 gram jar, which is good for a 6 to 8 week cycle depending

As far as the hand sanitizer, try mixing a little up and see if the powder will absorb.

I guess you can try it and get back with us, you might want to add a little dmso with it too, perhaps try pre solubulizing your powder in it before adding it to the TD agent.

I guess you'll run into the problem we all have with TD agents. We can only get ancedotal feedback from the user, we can't get any concrete results.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Ethyl alcohol, i write in charts all day it's easier:)

I guess you could use ibuprofen. I do not know if it is cheaper than some base powders though.
How would we know if it was working? Wait till I get a headache and then apply it? :blink:

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
How would we know if it was working? Wait till I get a headache and then apply it? :blink:
Ibuprofen=anti-inflammatory, analgesic. Apply to skin above joints, tendons...you get the idea. You could always try a little cocaine but he was looking for a cheaper more legal powder.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Ibuprofen=anti-inflammatory, analgesic. Apply to skin above joints, tendons...you get the idea. You could always try a little cocaine but he was looking for a cheaper more legal powder.
Wouldn't it still be very hard to measure or even estimate the absorption rate using ibuprofin?

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Wouldn't it still be very hard to measure or even estimate the absorption rate using ibuprofin?
I'm sure it would be. But you asked:
How would we know if it was working? Wait till I get a headache and then apply it?
:)

Kaliman

Awards
Lifthardheavy brought up a good point as far as cost effectiveness. Also, imagine the convenience of buying this stuff in your local area as opposed to ordering. With the addition of DMSO absorption should be really good.

On the other hand, How safe is ethyl alcohol? I thought I read something about ethyl alcohol possibly causing blindness. Unfortunately, I don't remember where I saw this. Hopefully, someone will be able to provide a definative answer to this possible safety issue.

Good thread Lifthardheavy! I just repped you for your resourceful post.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Considering you can go and buy a proven carrier like Penetrate for $13 and the fact that you are dealing with an unknown quantity(hand sanitizer) with unkown penetration/absorption capabilites I think this discussion is pointless.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
On the other hand, How safe is ethyl alcohol? I thought I read something about ethyl alcohol possibly causing blindness. Unfortunately, I don't remember where I saw this. Hopefully, someone will be able to provide a definative answer to this possible safety issue.

Bruh - EtOH is what is in alcholic beverages. METHANol (MeOH) can cause death if about 30 mL's are ingested and blindness at about 10 mL's.

Ethanol should be fine - I guess. Not sure if it will have to be processed by the liver though (but it would probably be in such small amounts relative to drinking a few beers).