why wont my solution gel?!?!??!

goldlifter

Awards
ok, went by the formula with iso alchohol,IPM,D lim,glycerol, and carb 940 but the solution still wont gel! everything is dissolved and i'm left with a fairly clear solution. should i just keep adding carbomer till it gels? any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
ok, went by the formula with iso alchohol,IPM,D lim,glycerol, and carb 940 but the solution still wont gel! everything is dissolved and i'm left with a fairly clear solution. should i just keep adding carbomer till it gels? any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated
You have to add just a little NaOH solution, very little, don't keep adding carbomer!

former_SlimJim

Board Supporter
Awards
To gel an alcohol based product start off with no more than 1/2 of a % by weight of 940. You also have to include at least some water in the formula to hydrate the 940. NaOH will work as a neutralizer up to about 20% alcohol, which probably won't work in your situation. TEA is a much better choice as it is effective up to about 60%. For 80% alcohol use AMP. After adding the water allow it to sit for an hour or so then thoroughly mix in the neutralizer one drop at a time until it gels. If you add in too much neutralizer, it will turn to liquid again once the ph gets too high. Good luck.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
To gel an alcohol based product start off with no more than 1/2 of a % by weight of 940. You also have to include at least some water in the formula to hydrate the 940. NaOH will work as a neutralizer up to about 20% alcohol, which probably won't work in your situation. TEA is a much better choice as it is effective up to about 60%. For 80% alcohol use AMP. After adding the water allow it to sit for an hour or so then thoroughly mix in the neutralizer one drop at a time until it gels. If you add in too much neutralizer, it will turn to liquid again once the ph gets too high. Good luck.
Good idea. TEA would be nice, and don't exceed about 7.5 on the pH or it will thin again. After a few hours, it may seem a little thinner anyway, that's normal, don't add anymore base.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Man, you gotta change your screen name, otherwise people will think you are "someone else".