ummm I think I screwed up, please help!!

fast89lx

Awards
I was mixing up some 4ad with some iso alcohol and it got hard and crusty like.... what the hell just happened?
From what I have read, you mix some iso alcohol in with the 4ad to get it paste like then add phlojel to make your 'dermal. Well like I said, I measured out my 4ad, added the iso and before I could finish mixing it, it got crusty and hard... what did I do wrong?

fast89lx

Awards
I think I got it, I added some more iso until it got pasty, wound up having to use 10 ml all total... loaded it into the 60ml syringe and its sitting at ~55ml

On the other hand I mixed up some 1t after that and while I used LESS alcohol (6g) it came out thinner than the 4ad :( as I was loading it into the syringe (not paying the best of attention) it was running down to the bottom, basically after I got all of it in, I have a damned air bubble in the middle of the syringe and I could barely get the plunger in. I probably lost 2ml putting it in...

Oh well, first time doing this was bound to be a learning experience.

Salem

Salem

Awards
I think I got it, I added some more iso until it got pasty, wound up having to use 10 ml all total... loaded it into the 60ml syringe and its sitting at ~55ml

On the other hand I mixed up some 1t after that and while I used LESS alcohol (6g) it came out thinner than the 4ad :( as I was loading it into the syringe (not paying the best of attention) it was running down to the bottom, basically after I got all of it in, I have a damned air bubble in the middle of the syringe and I could barely get the plunger in. I probably lost 2ml putting it in...

Oh well, first time doing this was bound to be a learning experience.
I lose more some time. First time i only got 49 left in my syringe. When I mix 9g 4AD, I have to use more than 10ml iso.
If you put your paste into the phlojel too early, it will never dissolve completely.
I read some threads that said to use the blade to cut powder before mix it into iso. I will try next time. Don't know what gonna happen.
Also, have the air bubble. God! I have the syring standing for a whole day (maybe longer than that)until the air raise to the top, and then push it out.
The processing is very tough . I am thinking if it is worth to do that.

former_SlimJim

Board Supporter
Awards
Yeah the air bubble can be hard to get out. I've learned to put my finger over the tip and tap the syringe between each scoop I put in. I make sure there is no air pockets as I load it. If I get one I get it out before going any farther. Once all the PJU is in, I just start the plunger in a tiny bit and I turn the syringe so the tip is pointing up at about a 45 degree angle. Then I tap it with a spoon until the big air bubble is at the tip end so I can push it out. Turns out perfect with no mess.

fast89lx

Awards
Well, in addition to the damned air bubble, I guess I didn't put in enough alcohol or pju (I measured it... maybe the scale is off a bit, who knows) and both the 1t and 4ad is a little grainy, ok the 4ad is a LOT grainy. I had to take all the stuff OUT of the syringes and put it into ziplocs, cut off a corner and squeeze it out of that onto the scale to measure it because the grains wouldn't come out of the syringe tip.

I now have those bags inside of another bag to keep air out, hopefully it won't get all crusty and go to **** on me. This has been an extreme learning experience.

Salem

Salem

Awards
Well, in addition to the damned air bubble, I guess I didn't put in enough alcohol or pju (I measured it... maybe the scale is off a bit, who knows) and both the 1t and 4ad is a little grainy, ok the 4ad is a LOT grainy. I had to take all the stuff OUT of the syringes and put it into ziplocs, cut off a corner and squeeze it out of that onto the scale to measure it because the grains wouldn't come out of the syringe tip.

I now have those bags inside of another bag to keep air out, hopefully it won't get all crusty and go to **** on me. This has been an extreme learning experience.
beside the bubble, once your got the grainy in your jel, it would never dissolve completely.I've tried a lot of ways try to dissolve them. heat, grind....Finally, I knew I waste half day on it.

former_SlimJim

Board Supporter
Awards

The first batch I made was very grainy. I didn't use any solvent and it was more like silica sand in mayonnaise. It wasn't a total loss though. There isn't anything that I know of that you can add at this point - they don't disolve either no matter how long you wait. If you have a mortar and pestal, grind the crap out of it a little bit at a time. That's what I did and it broke down most of the large clumps. I ended up dispensing it out of a 4 ounce Mason jelly jar using a small measuring spoon. A teaspoon is approximately 5 ml. I probably could of put it in a syringe after the grind. It seemed to work fine even though there was still an occasional stone in the mix.

fast89lx

Awards
Well so far so good, its keeping well. The 1t is rubbing in pretty well, couple of grains leftover but not ANYWHERE near as bad as the 4ad lol, I don't know how much I am losing but I can imagine its probably a lot :(

One thing that SEEMS to help (probably in my head but who cares if it makes me feel better) is that after I apply the 4ad and rub it in as much as I can, I rub in a liberal amount of skin moisturising lotion, it seems to help dissolve a little more of the grains...