Making a Transderm From Caps

Josey Wales

Awards
I want to make a transdermal application out of some capsules I have. (Better bioavailability) However, the caps contain fillers and extenders, such as magnesium sterate and maltodextrin. I don't know the ratios of the base powder to the fillers or to each other.

Should I simply dump the caps into some transdermal solutions (e.g., Pentrate or Transport Matrix)? Or would the fillers significantly affect the integrity of the transdermal solution? If so, any idea how to filter out the fillers?

Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog

Obese Member
Awards
  • Established
Should I simply dump the caps into some transdermal solutions (e.g., Pentrate or Transport Matrix)? Or would the fillers significantly affect the integrity of the transdermal solution? If so, any idea how to filter out the fillers?
No, the binders will wreak havoc on the absorption.

Or would the fillers significantly affect the integrity of the transdermal solution? If so, any idea how to filter out the fillers?
Yes, you need to get rid of the binders. You need to find a solvent that will disolve actives and not the binders so that binders can be removed (much like acetone does with synovex and fina). Acetone may work, but it would be helpful to know what you are trying to extract and then maybe one of the chem guys can help out.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I want to make a transdermal application out of some capsules I have. (Better bioavailability) However, the caps contain fillers and extenders, such as magnesium sterate and maltodextrin. I don't know the ratios of the base powder to the fillers or to each other.

You should have just got the powders then. I'm sure its gonna be a pain in the ass!