workout while using PH/AAS

wardog

Awards
  • Established
I figured I would share with you something interesting I found about myself. I have been on a cycle for 4 weeks now, and for the first three weeks saw really minimal results. Besides whining and bitching to BDC, I stepped back and analyzed everything. Diet..was very clean, and certainly high enough calories, so that wasnt the issue, I was feeling the itchy nips, yet sex drive was not showing much either way, nor was I feeling any type of androgenic feelings...but I thought that could be because of the femura.

Now, that left workout. I have switched to a HIT style workout about a month prior, and was seeing some fair progress with it. The creator of this program, (who I am not looking to bash at all..it certainly seemed like a very sound program) posts on Animals board. Anyway, after 3 weeks of very minimal gains, I decided to switch things up, and returned to my roots..German Volume Training. In one week of switching programs, I have gained some nice size, and finally feel like I am growing at a rate I am used to while "on".

I am just posting this..to perhaps help someone else out. HIT type training (for ME) doesnt seem to do much of anything while I am on. Volume..is where it is at, and I have the growth to prove it..lol!

BrKonman

Awards
Funny you should post this now. I was just getting ready to make a similar post, asking if anyone had attempted HIT or Hardgainer style training while "on" and how they adapted it. I personally began my lifting-life in the HIT world and slowly progressed away, trying more and more styles. At one point I attempted GVT and found it to provide very little in the way of growth for me.

While off, balance between the many forms I tried seems to be the way to go. Lower sets(2 or 3 tops) and 8 - 12 reps per set, at near failure and to failure depending on exercises appears to be my ticket, while going EOD at the gym(I'm young and recover well) for quite awhile, then periodically throwing in a few extra days of rest every couple weeks.

It wasn't until I did my first cycle of 1-t/4-ad that I decided to return to a volume training, and coincidentally it was GVT. I felt great doing GVT the entire time I was on, but once off, I simply couldn't handle it again. I'm now actually trying for the first time 20-rep Breathing Squats(pure hell for those who know) in addition to my standard workout. Cut back on other exercises to make room for these, but I feel like I'm making some decent progress.

Anyways, my next ph cycle will be T1-Pro starting Nov. 4th, and I'm piecing together an increased volume version of my current FB EOD routine + Breathing Squats. I'm curious how the results will compare with previous 1-t experiences on volume training, and I'll be sure to keep the board updated.

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
Yeah volume training is the ****...

My last year in HS I started volume training in october of 01 and went to april of 02 and put on about 15 pounds of straight muscle in that time and lost about 4-5 pounds of fat.

and I was all natural...no PH's, creatine nuthin...just whey.

It RULES!

Wanna try somethin new?

Try combining Volume training and HIT thats a BITCH!

BrKonman

Awards
Heh, 10 sets of 10 to failure. I think I'd puke... then cry... then puke some more. :)

Yeah volume training is the ****...

My last year in HS I started volume training in october of 01 and went to april of 02 and put on about 15 pounds of straight muscle in that time and lost about 4-5 pounds of fat.

and I was all natural...no PH's, creatine nuthin...just whey.

It RULES!

Wanna try somethin new?

Try combining Volume training and HIT thats a BITCH!

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
Heh, 10 sets of 10 to failure. I think I'd puke... then cry... then puke some more. :)

Don't be a bitch, dude;)

I have puked a couple of times, and then I did my final 3 sets of wide grip chins behind the neck.

and then I learned...not to eat before i lift.

Super Tri's

Awards
I used to train HIT style and made gains, but then they slowed so I switched it up a bit.

I find now I gain the best from 2-3 sets of failure, 8-14 sets per bodypart once a week.

I still train just as hard, and super slow reps, but the more sets has helped me get a lot stronger.

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
Yeah its time for me to change it up I haven't done volume for a while (i've been doin HIT) I think I'll do Volume on my cycle.

BrKonman

Awards
Heh, actually I used to do the 3x3 Metabolic Conditioning Cycle, and found that this was a great one to use for cutting. Even managed to go-no puke by the third time. When I start a ph-cutting cycle, I'll probably use this at an increased volume. I think it would make for an interesting try. When I used to do this, my HR would hit 170ish and hold for a good half hour after I finished. Like 45 minutes of high intensity cardio.

A 6x6 while "on" would be better than 2 hours of cardio, not to mention exhausting. Oooh... the possibilities, it *almost* makes me want to cut now. .... almost :D

Don't be a bitch, dude;)

I have puked a couple of times, and then I did my final 3 sets of wide grip chins behind the neck.

and then I learned...not to eat before i lift.

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
Heh, actually I used to do the 3x3 Metabolic Conditioning Cycle, and found that this was a great one to use for cutting. Even managed to go-no puke by the third time. When I start a ph-cutting cycle, I'll probably use this at an increased volume. I think it would make for an interesting try. When I used to do this, my HR would hit 170ish and hold for a good half hour after I finished. Like 45 minutes of high intensity cardio.

A 6x6 while "on" would be better than 2 hours of cardio, not to mention exhausting. Oooh... the possibilities, it *almost* makes me want to cut now. .... almost :D

WhenI was cutting I was doin the same kind of thing w/maybe 30sec rests between sets

AND ECA. now there's some fat burinin'

BrKonman

Awards
30 seconds between each set, or true to style going to failure on one of each exercise, 30 seconds rest, repeat? That's how I did it, and I'd love to be able to have enough energy to keep it up for 6 rounds of 3 with only 30 seconds rest between each round. ECA is a great idea for that. UA seems like a waste, since you should be an inferno anyways. Thoughts?

Kinda back to the topic now... what kind of workout do people normally use when cutting, while on juice or ph's? Seems like a lot more could be supported, not to mention getting the full cardio for the day just by doing major volume, minimal rest.

wardog

Awards
  • Established

Awww, I do squats and deads the same day..try it once..10 sets of squats, 10 sets of deads....then fall on the floor and cry..:D

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established

khafra

Awards
Back to the original point of the thread, I have read that one of the main "good things" about hormonal support is that it allows you to do the long, frequent workouts without the increase in catabolic hormones that would normally accompany a schedule like that. So doing HIT on cycle is ignoring one of your main benefits from it, it's like somebody who spends most of their time in space wearing an EVA suit for the two weeks they visit Earth, or something. I believe (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) that HIT is a good idea in recovery, though.

wardog

Awards
  • Established
Back to the original point of the thread, I have read that one of the main "good things" about hormonal support is that it allows you to do the long, frequent workouts without the increase in catabolic hormones that would normally accompany a schedule like that. So doing HIT on cycle is ignoring one of your main benefits from it, it's like somebody who spends most of their time in space wearing an EVA suit for the two weeks they visit Earth, or something. I believe (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) that HIT is a good idea in recovery, though.
I suspect thats the lesson I have learned..lol. I agree with you..post cycle recovery, I think I will go back to my HIT. See how it goes and give feedback.

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established
I have noticed the same. When on volume is required. While off HIT is where it's at for me.

SteveDFW

Awards
I have been playing around with a couple cycles of HST style. Seems to work pretty good with my 2 week cycles of "stuff". I just up the number of sets when I am "on" and cut back to the norm but continue to increase the weight every workout or two as prescribed by HST theory.

I really like it so far. I have had shoulder problems for years and with this HST planned regiment, the pain has gone away. My strength has really increased as well. My true and only goal is size though. At my age, I would rather look strong, then be strong, LOL

BrKonman

Awards
I have been playing around with a couple cycles of HST style. Seems to work pretty good with my 2 week cycles of "stuff". I just up the number of sets when I am "on" and cut back to the norm but continue to increase the weight every workout or two as prescribed by HST theory.

I really like it so far. I have had shoulder problems for years and with this HST planned regiment, the pain has gone away. My strength has really increased as well. My true and only goal is size though. At my age, I would rather look strong, then be strong, LOL
Heh, I hear ya on the look strong than be strong. I used to be forced into the opposite(weight-restricted but had to be stronger than everyone else, ya know?) and now I just like looking bigger. :) When you're planning your "two-week cycles of stuff" do you make sure that it's during certain periods of the 8-week routine? Or do you follow a modified routine from what is posted at the HST main site?

Sean

Awards
I just finished a cycle yesterday, and am going to try going back to HIIT, too. German volume training appears to be more effective than anything else while on, though.

SteveDFW

Awards

Heh, I hear ya on the look strong than be strong. I used to be forced into the opposite(weight-restricted but had to be stronger than everyone else, ya know?) and now I just like looking bigger. :) When you're planning your "two-week cycles of stuff" do you make sure that it's during certain periods of the 8-week routine? Or do you follow a modified routine from what is posted at the HST main site?
Yes, I plan it the 2nd week of 10's and then the following week which is the 1st week of 5's. Then when you are getting off cycle, you are lifting heavy for the next 3 weeks which should help keep your gains.

If you want to add a 3rd week of PH/PS, I would do it on the front end (i.e. 1st week of 10's).

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
o have used hit while on everytime with 1-test..gained 10lbs using sann's t-100 in 3 weeks and did the same with avants beta one the first time..i crash pretty hard though coming off..and both times i did them i didnt have access to things like clomid,nova and ana as i do now..

bigbadboss101

Awards
o have used hit while on everytime with 1-test..gained 10lbs using sann's t-100 in 3 weeks and did the same with avants beta one the first time..i crash pretty hard though coming off..and both times i did them i didnt have access to things like clomid,nova and ana as i do now..
What exactly do people mean when they crash? Lack of energy, intensity? Gains slow, or go close to pre-cycle level?

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
crash as in once your off the p.s u lose all motivation gain fat as estrogen rebounds etc..

wardog

Awards
  • Established
What does a CRASH mean?? LOL! Ohhh baby. It is mostly mental. You go from being on top of the world (especially with fina) to just plain in the damn dumps. You get moody as a woman with PMS, and have NO inspiration to train. You feel tired and draggy, and every workout..it is an act of will just top go to the gym. The diet..is an act of will, you want to curl up with a box of chocolate and watch "Lifetime"

It slowly gets better as your natty test comes back..but at first..it SUCKS

bigbadboss101

Awards
Hmm, interesting... I do feel lazy at times. IT helps to have someone else do some butt kicking. Sugar cravings occurs often with me. PMS? Nope but I do feel a bit blue on couple occasions the last few days. Winter doesn't help. It's getting cold here and we have to dress like eskimos

Sean

Awards
I always use an ECA stack for post-cycle recovery - don't have many problems with lethargy or lack of motivation there. ;)

phil216

Awards
  • Established
I'm a follower of Mike Mentzer's HIT and was working out once every 4 days prior to starting my 1 test. Since I have been using 1 test I have increased my volume so I'm training 3 days a week hitting each bodypart once a week with 2-4 sets per bodypart done total failure and have been doing very well. My strenght has gone up every workout . My incline bench has gone from 3 plates for 7 to 3 plates plus a dime for 9 in 3 workouts since using 1 test.:shoot:

khafra

Awards
What does a CRASH mean?? LOL! Ohhh baby. It is mostly mental. You go from being on top of the world (especially with fina) to just plain in the damn dumps. You get moody as a woman with PMS, and have NO inspiration to train. You feel tired and draggy, and every workout..it is an act of will just top go to the gym. The diet..is an act of will, you want to curl up with a box of chocolate and watch "Lifetime"

It slowly gets better as your natty test comes back..but at first..it SUCKS
I never thought about that. Bodybuilders are the perfect men. Great body, and completely and deeply understanding when it's that time of the month.

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
I'm "on" right now for the next 5.5 weeks and using GVT and we'll see how the results go.

All I care about is the squats.....10x10....

I wanna put on 3#'s in each leg

LG. :cool: