Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.57%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Transdermal Resveratrol

Anyone try it? Would it work?
    A-Minds HYPE-SLAYER! All posts & feedback are guaranteed to be unsolicited and legit
    "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom & instruction"
    Proverbs 1:7

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.49%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

If you use the search function we had a discussion about this quite some time ago. There is a lot of good info in that thread. If I knew where it was I'd leave you a link to it. But I believe the consensus was yes it would work.
  3. Idiot Savant
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.99%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by RedwolfWV View Post
    If you use the search function we had a discussion about this quite some time ago. There is a lot of good info in that thread. If I knew where it was I'd leave you a link to it. But I believe the consensus was yes it would work.
    Transdermal Resveratrol?

The success of PP's Sustain Alpha says that it does, plus PA getting into the market is always a sign for the positive.
    •   

4. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.73%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Bypassing first pass metabolism is fairly important for resveratrol it seems. Megadosing may work as well. A lot is yet unknown.
    ForeRunner Labs
    The Future of Human Performance
    Please LIKE FRL on Facebook

5. Idiot Savant
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.99%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Royd The Noyd View Post
    Bypassing first pass metabolism is fairly important for resveratrol it seems. Megadosing may work as well. A lot is yet unknown.
    The real answer lies in the question as to whether it is the resveratrol itself or the combination or metabolism pathway it undertakes during ingestion primarily in the form of red wine. To my knowledge there has yet to be a study to show that synthetic res-v is superior to ingestion of food containing res - v. I could be wrong though, as it's been a while since I looked into it.
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.57%

Thanks for the info and links all!
    A-Minds HYPE-SLAYER! All posts & feedback are guaranteed to be unsolicited and legit
    "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom & instruction"
  7. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.73%

Quote Originally Posted by prld2gr8ns View Post
    The real answer lies in the question as to whether it is the resveratrol itself or the combination or metabolism pathway it undertakes during ingestion primarily in the form of red wine. To my knowledge there has yet to be a study to show that synthetic res-v is superior to ingestion of food containing res - v. I could be wrong though, as it's been a while since I looked into it.
    Or even it's metabolites. It's hard to keep up with all the res research tbh. Seems like every week there are 20 new studies. I did write a little bit about synthetic res-v use and some of the latest applicable (or what I felt was applicable), in this Arom-X thread pertaining to fat loss. We are seeing more animal studies which is good.
    ForeRunner Labs

8. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.33%

Full text of a fairly recent study on transdermal resveratrol. Skin diffusion, which they measure in it, from what I understand is the amount of product that is absorbed into the skin. Here, the best results are about 300mcg/g, which would put it at 0.3%. That can't be right, because I think that is worse than oral absorption. Can anyone get an estimate of bioavailability from that study?

PMID: 18451526
    Since I can't post links yet, that PMID will take you to the PubMed article, which will link you to the full text.
  9. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.73%

Quote Originally Posted by cubby2112 View Post
    Full text of a fairly recent study on transdermal resveratrol. Skin diffusion, which they measure in it, from what I understand is the amount of product that is absorbed into the skin. Here, the best results are about 300mcg/g, which would put it at 0.3%. That can't be right, because I think that is worse than oral absorption. Can anyone get an estimate of bioavailability from that study?

PMID: 18451526
    Since I can't post links yet, that PMID will take you to the PubMed article, which will link you to the full text.
    Just skimmed this quickly but what you can get into the skin is not necessarily relevant for what we as bodybuilders/anti-aging/etc would want to achieve. Which is systemic circulation. There is more recent relevant research on the oral bioavialability which states it at approximately 20%. Still, because of first pass metabolism I would opt for a combination of sublingual res (immediate release, with a slowly dropping plasma rate), possibly with a transdermal (sustained release).

Here is the link cubby referenced for others:

http://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/bpb/31/5/955/_pdf
    ForeRunner Labs

10. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.33%

Are you referring to the absorption of metabolites, and do these metabolites have some of the same effects? I'm just trying to understand the bioavailability of resveratrol, because I was unaware of newer information on it's bioavailability. I was still under the impression that it doesn't absorb well. It looks like consistent use also helps with effectiveness, by sensitizing tissue to it or something like that. I'm going to check out the full text of this later.

Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2011 Jan;1215:9-15. doi: 10.1111/j.1749-6632.2010.05842.x.
    Bioavailability of resveratrol.
    Walle T.
    Source
    Department of Pharmacology, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, 29425, USA.
    Abstract
    This paper reviews our current understanding of the absorption, bioavailability, and metabolism of resveratrol, with an emphasis on humans. The oral absorption of resveratrol in humans is about 75% and is thought to occur mainly by transepithelial diffusion. Extensive metabolism in the intestine and liver results in an oral bioavailability considerably less than 1%. Dose escalation and repeated dose administration of resveratrol does not appear to alter this significantly. Metabolic studies, both in plasma and in urine, have revealed major metabolites to be glucuronides and sulfates of resveratrol. However, reduced dihydroresveratrol conjugates, in addition to highly polar unknown products, may account for as much as 50% of an oral resveratrol dose. Although major sites of metabolism include the intestine and liver (as expected), colonic bacterial metabolism may be more important than previously thought. Deconjugation enzymes such as β-glucuronidase and sulfatase, as well as specific tissue accumulation of resveratrol, may enhance resveratrol efficacy at target sites. Resveratrol analogs, such as methylated derivatives with improved bioavailability, may be important in future research.

2011 New York Academy of Sciences.

PMID: 21261636 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
  11. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.57%

Cool thread.....keep it rollin u smart people for us dumb folk

Similar Forum Threads

1. Transdermal Resveratrol
    By MAxximal in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-15-2010, 02:51 PM
  2. Transdermal Resveratrol
    By MAxximal in forum Supplements
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-20-2009, 12:18 PM
  3. Transdermal Resveratrol
    By sweetdaddy in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-21-2007, 05:54 PM
  4. resveratrol amount of trans-resveratrol?
    By rkretz in forum Custom Capsule
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-19-2007, 03:10 AM