Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Anyone try it? Would it work?

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
If you use the search function we had a discussion about this quite some time ago. There is a lot of good info in that thread. If I knew where it was I'd leave you a link to it. But I believe the consensus was yes it would work.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bypassing first pass metabolism is fairly important for resveratrol it seems. Megadosing may work as well. A lot is yet unknown.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bypassing first pass metabolism is fairly important for resveratrol it seems. Megadosing may work as well. A lot is yet unknown.
The real answer lies in the question as to whether it is the resveratrol itself or the combination or metabolism pathway it undertakes during ingestion primarily in the form of red wine. To my knowledge there has yet to be a study to show that synthetic res-v is superior to ingestion of food containing res - v. I could be wrong though, as it's been a while since I looked into it.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks for the info and links all! ;)

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The real answer lies in the question as to whether it is the resveratrol itself or the combination or metabolism pathway it undertakes during ingestion primarily in the form of red wine. To my knowledge there has yet to be a study to show that synthetic res-v is superior to ingestion of food containing res - v. I could be wrong though, as it's been a while since I looked into it.
Or even it's metabolites. It's hard to keep up with all the res research tbh. Seems like every week there are 20 new studies. I did write a little bit about synthetic res-v use and some of the latest applicable (or what I felt was applicable), in this Arom-X thread pertaining to fat loss. We are seeing more animal studies which is good.

C

cubby2112

Awards
Full text of a fairly recent study on transdermal resveratrol. Skin diffusion, which they measure in it, from what I understand is the amount of product that is absorbed into the skin. Here, the best results are about 300mcg/g, which would put it at 0.3%. That can't be right, because I think that is worse than oral absorption. Can anyone get an estimate of bioavailability from that study?

PMID: 18451526
Since I can't post links yet, that PMID will take you to the PubMed article, which will link you to the full text.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Full text of a fairly recent study on transdermal resveratrol. Skin diffusion, which they measure in it, from what I understand is the amount of product that is absorbed into the skin. Here, the best results are about 300mcg/g, which would put it at 0.3%. That can't be right, because I think that is worse than oral absorption. Can anyone get an estimate of bioavailability from that study?

PMID: 18451526
Since I can't post links yet, that PMID will take you to the PubMed article, which will link you to the full text.
Just skimmed this quickly but what you can get into the skin is not necessarily relevant for what we as bodybuilders/anti-aging/etc would want to achieve. Which is systemic circulation. There is more recent relevant research on the oral bioavialability which states it at approximately 20%. Still, because of first pass metabolism I would opt for a combination of sublingual res (immediate release, with a slowly dropping plasma rate), possibly with a transdermal (sustained release).

Here is the link cubby referenced for others:

http://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/bpb/31/5/955/_pdf

C

cubby2112

Awards
Are you referring to the absorption of metabolites, and do these metabolites have some of the same effects? I'm just trying to understand the bioavailability of resveratrol, because I was unaware of newer information on it's bioavailability. I was still under the impression that it doesn't absorb well. It looks like consistent use also helps with effectiveness, by sensitizing tissue to it or something like that. I'm going to check out the full text of this later.

Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2011 Jan;1215:9-15. doi: 10.1111/j.1749-6632.2010.05842.x.
Bioavailability of resveratrol.
Walle T.
Source
Department of Pharmacology, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, 29425, USA.
Abstract
This paper reviews our current understanding of the absorption, bioavailability, and metabolism of resveratrol, with an emphasis on humans. The oral absorption of resveratrol in humans is about 75% and is thought to occur mainly by transepithelial diffusion. Extensive metabolism in the intestine and liver results in an oral bioavailability considerably less than 1%. Dose escalation and repeated dose administration of resveratrol does not appear to alter this significantly. Metabolic studies, both in plasma and in urine, have revealed major metabolites to be glucuronides and sulfates of resveratrol. However, reduced dihydroresveratrol conjugates, in addition to highly polar unknown products, may account for as much as 50% of an oral resveratrol dose. Although major sites of metabolism include the intestine and liver (as expected), colonic bacterial metabolism may be more important than previously thought. Deconjugation enzymes such as β-glucuronidase and sulfatase, as well as specific tissue accumulation of resveratrol, may enhance resveratrol efficacy at target sites. Resveratrol analogs, such as methylated derivatives with improved bioavailability, may be important in future research.

© 2011 New York Academy of Sciences.

PMID: 21261636 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cool thread.....keep it rollin u smart people for us dumb folk ;)