androgel vs PLO Test?

Alchemist42

Awards
All,

Im new to TRT and have been trying to find the right product for my needs/lifestyle. Due to a insurance nonsense (long story) ive ended up with androgel (5g packets) and a PLO testosterone cream.

I took the androgel for about 10 days with almost no noticeible effect, then tried adding the PLO cream and felt a near immediate difference, now im trying just the PLO cream but im looking for feedback on these from anyone who has used them.

Looking at dosages

It looks like the androgel has 50mg of T per packet of which about 10% or 5mg is absorbed into the skin. Its a an alchohol based transdermal so its spread over a fairly large area, making the risk of accidently contacting someone else greater.

The PLO has 100mg per 1m/l dose and from what ive read has nearly a 60% or 60mg absorption rate. Its a oil/water based transdermal that is spread over a fairly small area so the risk of contacting someone else with it is alot less at least it seems that way to me.

Do these dosages and absorption rates sound right? My doc thought they were equivilent but it seems like the PLO is alot stronger and the response I got from it would seem to point in that direction too.

Im going back and forth on these as the Androgel is in easy to carry packets while the PLO Test comes in a shringe so its its harder to carry. Also androgel is approved by my insurance while the PLO Test is compounded at a pharmacy and my insurance doesnt seem too thrilled about paying for it even though its considerably cheaper than the androgel.

Has anyone had experience with either of these and have any feedback for me?

Thanks,

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Why you don`t use Testosterone Cypionate? is MUCH better and if you stay in the range of 100-150mg weekly is more than enough for you T-levels up and blow up your libido.

p.s. at this dose is safe doses above 200mg you run a high risk of side effects due to its conversion to DHT and has the potential to form estrogen, causing gynecomastia, water retention, increased rate of hair growth, back acne, increased blood pressure, and aggressiveness.

Alchemist42

Awards
Well, right now im using what I have available (ie: what the doctor prescribed, and I ended up with due to insurance nonsense) until I get back to the doctor and see how my levels are. Isnt Test Cyp an injection? Ive heard that the injections have alot of highs/lows and dont feel as natural as the creams / gels. Is that true?

may19th2001

may19th2001

Awards
I think the PLO gel or Lipoderm which is what some Pharmaciesuse instead as it is thecommercialversion work well.
It sounds like you are on a good dose, you would think to do ok on the current dosing.

All,

Im new to TRT and have been trying to find the right product for my needs/lifestyle. Due to a insurance nonsense (long story) ive ended up with androgel (5g packets) and a PLO testosterone cream.

I took the androgel for about 10 days with almost no noticeible effect, then tried adding the PLO cream and felt a near immediate difference, now im trying just the PLO cream but im looking for feedback on these from anyone who has used them.

Looking at dosages

It looks like the androgel has 50mg of T per packet of which about 10% or 5mg is absorbed into the skin. Its a an alchohol based transdermal so its spread over a fairly large area, making the risk of accidently contacting someone else greater.

The PLO has 100mg per 1m/l dose and from what ive read has nearly a 60% or 60mg absorption rate. Its a oil/water based transdermal that is spread over a fairly small area so the risk of contacting someone else with it is alot less at least it seems that way to me.

Do these dosages and absorption rates sound right? My doc thought they were equivilent but it seems like the PLO is alot stronger and the response I got from it would seem to point in that direction too.

Im going back and forth on these as the Androgel is in easy to carry packets while the PLO Test comes in a shringe so its its harder to carry. Also androgel is approved by my insurance while the PLO Test is compounded at a pharmacy and my insurance doesnt seem too thrilled about paying for it even though its considerably cheaper than the androgel.

Has anyone had experience with either of these and have any feedback for me?

Thanks,

may19th2001

may19th2001

Awards
Yes dude it is true, the gels mimic a young mans testosterone better than what the injections do however if injections must be done I understand weekly may be the best.

Well, right now im using what I have available (ie: what the doctor prescribed, and I ended up with due to insurance nonsense) until I get back to the doctor and see how my levels are. Isnt Test Cyp an injection? Ive heard that the injections have alot of highs/lows and dont feel as natural as the creams / gels. Is that true?

Alchemist42

Awards
*UPDATE*

Its been about a month since my original post so thought Id update with my experience thus far and see what everyone things.

After the couple weeks on Androgel I did some experimenting and added the 1 m/l dose of PLO to my genitals while maintaining the one 5g packet of androgel to my upper body. This yielded fair results but I couldnt realistically see doing that long term so I continued to experiment.

So, I stopped using the androgel and things worsened, then i tried adding 1/2 m/l of PLO test applied to each inner arm and things got better again, actually the best they had been although still not 100% to my former self.

I continued at this dose for the next few weeks until I went back to the doctor, and I told him about all my dosing experiments and results. He agreed that I was probably close to a correct dose and gave me a new perscription... this time though, to save money instead he prescribed a 200mg per m/l cream and told me to stick to using 1 m/l per day.

Ive been doing this for about a week now, and the effects are not quite as good as they were when I was using 2 m/l of 100mg instead of 1 m/l of 200mg. The only things I can think that could effect this are that maybe the absorption rate isnt as good when there is more T in the solution, or that 1 m/l isnt covering as wide an area as 2 m/l so perhaps not as much T is being converted to DHT.

In any case he wants me to stick to this dose for 6 weeks then get my levels tested, although Im planning to call and see if I can get my tests done before the first of the year due to insurance / deductible reasons.

Alchemist42

Awards
My doc finally had my levels tested and while I was feeling good on the dosage I was taking there was obviously a problem given my bloodwork.

Testosterone 1500, >49 free.
This is obiously high, although I have questions on the free testosterone as they said the test shows >49 for all values greater than that, but I see test results of people with 120+ free testosterone all the time so not sure what to make of that. In any case my doc kicked my dosage down to 3/5 m/l of 20% (200mg) t PLO.

PSA still at 0.5 which is good.

My Estradiol came back at 41.3 which is in normal range but sounds high to me.

I havent got my DHT results back yet, but given my T levels and noticed a little hair loss Im guessing its high. Hopefully DHT levels will fall with the reduced T dosage. I wonder how long DHT stays in your system . Ive thought about taking Saw Pawmento as it blocks DHT receptors which would help prostate and hair but not sure if it would do anything to libido ro sexual function.

I have found one nice little supplement though... Pycnogenol, its an extract from a french pine thats an antioxidant and stimulates nitric oxide production... combine it with L-Arginine which gives your body the raw materials for making nitric oxide and it definitely has a positive effect on sexual performance.

yungchiz

Awards
you know, I'm also on androgel (5g), and was thinking about cutting back on the dose before my next dr visit. Might help get a higher rx? But then again I don't know how long your T levels stay elevated after last application. Assuming it's worth doing, just replace your androgens with another one in the meantime.