DMSO + Saran Wrap ?

living2die

living2die

Awards
Bruders,
I was wondering about the whole concept of applying a saran wrap covering to a DMSO/ISO Alc/PREG topical application system. There are numerous warnings that applying DMSO with plastic/latex gloves is unsafe, because the DMSO can actually leach through the plastic, and might force harmful chemicals contained in the plastic protective glove into the skin.

Has anyone heard about this or can offer a reputable rebuke to this claim ?

SammyDaHamma

Awards
ive heard sumthin similar to this... that it will melt the plastic that is. not sure bout absorbing.

living2die

living2die

Awards
I'm done using this method. I am using Big Cat's recommendations. Basically, follow Basskiller's TD recipe, but hold off on the DMSO.

Instead, pretreat the application area with DMSO (ballpark, you should be using 2mL's), wait 5-10 minutes, and then rub in your TDS that you created using Basskiller's recipe. DMSO is stronger, mL for mL, when used as a penetration enhancer, vs. when used in a TDS.

centeroiler

centeroiler

Awards
I'm done using this method. I am using Big Cat's recommendations. Basically, follow Basskiller's TD recipe, but hold off on the DMSO.

Instead, pretreat the application area with DMSO (ballpark, you should be using 2mL's), wait 5-10 minutes, and then rub in your TDS that you created using Basskiller's recipe. DMSO is stronger, mL for mL, when used as a penetration enhancer, vs. when used in a TDS.
Yes, pre-treatment with DMSO is the way to go. You can use less, too. I use this trick with Phlojel Ultra, but it will work with pretty much and TD. I never agreed with the efficacy of adding 15% DMSO to PU, or any other carrier. Its just not high enough of a % to have a great impact IMO.

DMSO's solvent abilities can eat certain plastics so never use saran wrap over it. That is why when you buy it you have to make sure that its in a manufactuer-approved container, or glass.

FYI, I tried to get some of Gaylord's Pharma Grade oderless DMSO. They politely told me to F-off. I get Pharma Grade on Ebay now. Its good stuff and doesn't really smell at all when used in the above mentioned way. Using that and Diclofenec compounded with Phlojel Ultra works great on my ravaged knees and ankles. I do have a great source for 98% Purity d-limonene so I might try some of that at 5% though.

living2die

living2die

Awards
center,
1) What is the d-limonene used for? If I remember correctly, it is a penetration enhancer ?
2) What does PU stand for ? (Phlojel Ultra) ?
3) Generally, how many mL's of DMSO do you use for pretreatment at application site?
4) How many minutes before application of TDS do you pretreat site with DMSO ?
5) What type of Pharm Grade DMSO do you speak of, being acquired from ebay?
I just purchased some Arkema re-bottled 99.9% DMSO from an ebay seller from Monroe, WA. Is this the same seller as you used ? If not, what brand do you use ?

Yes, pre-treatment with DMSO is the way to go. You can use less, too. I use this trick with Phlojel Ultra, but it will work with pretty much and TD. I never agreed with the efficacy of adding 15% DMSO to PU, or any other carrier. Its just not high enough of a % to have a great impact IMO.

DMSO's solvent abilities can eat certain plastics so never use saran wrap over it. That is why when you buy it you have to make sure that its in a manufactuer-approved container, or glass.

FYI, I tried to get some of Gaylord's Pharma Grade oderless DMSO. They politely told me to F-off. I get Pharma Grade on Ebay now. Its good stuff and doesn't really smell at all when used in the above mentioned way. Using that and Diclofenec compounded with Phlojel Ultra works great on my ravaged knees and ankles. I do have a great source for 98% Purity d-limonene so I might try some of that at 5% though.

centeroiler

centeroiler

Awards
center,
1) What is the d-limonene used for? If I remember correctly, it is a penetration enhancer ? Yes, its an enhancer, but can also give a nicer, citrus smell than just the DMSO
2) What does PU stand for ? (Phlojel Ultra) ? Yes, the King of TD's.
3) Generally, how many mL's of DMSO do you use for pretreatment at application site? I don't measure it but I'll saturate a cotton cosmetic square and then apply enough that my skin is wet. You don't need much.
4) How many minutes before application of TDS do you pretreat site with DMSO ? I give it a minute or two to open my "pores". Don't wait too long to apply your PU, say within 5 mins.
5) What type of Pharm Grade DMSO do you speak of, being acquired from ebay? Thats the one you mention. Seems like the highest purity I've found and the guy has Certificate of Analysis which is more than most.
I just purchased some Arkema re-bottled 99.9% DMSO from an ebay seller from Monroe, WA. Is this the same seller as you used ? If not, what brand do you use ?
I can't stress enough how important it is to pre-heat the application site, like after a hot shower, or use a microwave heat pad. This is probably the single biggest penetration enhancer there is. Also, you can get a baby bottle warmer and throw it in the microwave. Wrap it around your PU in wax paper and DMSO to get it really warm. Rotate application sites and exfoliate regularly. Finally, get yourself a personal 1 mHz Ultrasound unit ($75 Ebay again). This heats the internal tissue and drives the Phlojel and drug into the skin very efficiently.

I always see a lot of bros poo-pooing about what a hassle transdermals are. Thats a crock. Once you have it down, it takes all of a measly 5 minutes a day. Whats the big deal? I'll be the first to admit that injection is the best. And, I inject quite frequently. But transdermals definately have their place. What other method allows you to deliver such a constant level of drug or supplement into the blood stream so safely and pain-free? It avoids first pass through the liver, no digestive degradation, etc. and even allows you to deliver compounds through the skin that are not suitable for injection. Get yourself some Phlojel and some "powder" of your choice and Rock and Roll!

Peace

living2die

living2die

Awards
this question is fair game to everyone, what is the efficacy of d-limonene in equalizing out the dmso related odor ?

in order to combat the dmso odor, i just purchased some d-limonine for fragrance enhancing properties. i will use it at 5% total volume. have you ever used d-limonine to kill the skin odor from dmso? i think this might be the panacea i have been looking for

living2die

living2die

Awards
Incredibly important statement. I think we have a tendency to get so wrapped up in the PE's, Carriers, Vehicles, etc. we forget the most trivial methods of maximizing absorption. After bombarding the same application sites with DMSO, I notice my skin becomes very dry, (not flaky dry), but tight without any type of moisture. I have also noticed that I am getting very poor absorption, and the carrying capacity of the site has been exhausted. This is when it is time to move onto another site. Through touch alone, I can tell the skin sites where I have maximized the application effectiveness, they feel really papery. So I will move onto my upper back, and trunk in order to allow my inner forearm, inner upper arm, and forehead to recover.

I read somewhere that the face is actually a pretty good surface to apply your TDS if you are able to sustain the irritation that you will likely incur.

I can't stress enough how important it is to pre-heat the application site, like after a hot shower, or use a microwave heat pad. This is probably the single biggest penetration enhancer there is. Also, you can get a baby bottle warmer and throw it in the microwave. Wrap it around your PU in wax paper and DMSO to get it really warm. Rotate application sites and exfoliate regularly. Finally, get yourself a personal 1 mHz Ultrasound unit ($75 Ebay again). This heats the internal tissue and drives the Phlojel and drug into the skin very efficiently.

I always see a lot of bros poo-pooing about what a hassle transdermals are. Thats a crock. Once you have it down, it takes all of a measly 5 minutes a day. Whats the big deal? I'll be the first to admit that injection is the best. And, I inject quite frequently. But transdermals definately have their place. What other method allows you to deliver such a constant level of drug or supplement into the blood stream so safely and pain-free? It avoids first pass through the liver, no digestive degradation, etc. and even allows you to deliver compounds through the skin that are not suitable for injection. Get yourself some Phlojel and some "powder" of your choice and Rock and Roll!

Peace

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
I have a question about the DMSO you guys are talking about. I play college ball and heard DMSO is a great anti inflamatory but makes ure breath smell like garlic....is that true?