Please Help! Need to train w/o weights

E J

E J

Awards
  • Established
Ok long story short I'm in financial "situation" and can't pay the gym anymore. I have been going to the park to exercise.

Does anybody have any suggestions of what kind of exercises I can do, or any references that might be useful. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance guys :thumbsup:

pantherdude63

pantherdude63

Awards
  • Established
Ok long story short I'm in financial "situation" and can't pay the gym anymore. I have been going to the park to exercise.

Does anybody have any suggestions of what kind of exercises I can do, or any references that might be useful. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance guys :thumbsup:
Your question may be a little bit too broad. It would help if you included what part of the body you are wanting to exercise.

E J

E J

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Pantherdude!!! Well, since I won't be going to the gym in 3 - 4 months I figured I needed excercises for the whole body. I've been doing pull-ups, push ups, squats and crunches but that's it. I don't know if there is something like a work out protocol, with weights I trained

M: chest and tris
T: back and shoulders
W: legs and bis
Th: Off
F: Chest and back
S: Legs

But I don't know if I should be splitting without weights and how to reach muscle fatigue (just keep doing the same excercise??)
I need some ideas I'm totally lost

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
use the swings to do pull ups
do push ups with feet on a bench
use the swing chains to do chins
parallel bars for dips (if they have them)
hrm... i'm trying to figure out what to use the garbage can for - maybe squats. military press?
if you were really bored - assuming the park had sand or water - fill up an empty milk jug with water and do curls and lunges - its better than nothing.

E J

E J

Awards
  • Established
Thank Suncloud, great advice (except for the trash can part lol)
Would I train the same excercises everyday? or split them like regular weight WO.

Maybe do them M-W-F and T-Th just HIIT cardio?

Thanks again guys

pantherdude63

pantherdude63

Awards
  • Established
Ive got a pretty good amount of arm workouts if you could get some tubing. Chest-obviously pushup, milk jug fly, one handed pushup, dips and as mentioned previously decline pushups. Abs- oblique trunk rotation, crunches, leg raises, side bend with maybe a milk jug full of water or sand, hanging knee raises on the monkeybars. Legs- one leg squat, double leg squat jump, wall squats, toe ups with milk jug. I hope this helps but if you can get some tubing i can supply more.

pantherdude63

pantherdude63

Awards
  • Established
Thank Suncloud, great advice (except for the trash can part lol)
Would I train the same excercises everyday? or split them like regular weight WO.

Maybe do them M-W-F and T-Th just HIIT cardio?

Thanks again guys
No i wouldnt do the same workout everyday. With weights i know your not supposed to because of protein synthesis or something.lol Your plan above looks good to me.

E J

E J

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Panther, great excercises there. I am sorry what do you mean by tubing?

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
if you've got a duffle bag at your house, you can fill it up with clothes (jeans and heavy stuff) and do squats with that. i've also heard that filling up a backpack with 70 pounds of junk and walking around for an hour or more is a great way to put some meat on you. its all about creativity, but i've seen it done.

i even know a girl that does lunges with 24 packs of diet coke. just experiment on what makes those muscles burn. you can even do dips with your hands behind you and facing away on a bench. fill up a laundry hamper with heavy stuff and do deadlifts. use what you got around you.

pantherdude63

pantherdude63

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Panther, great excercises there. I am sorry what do you mean by tubing?
Like surgical tubing. I think its also called resistance tubing. Its just a tube made out of a latex i think that provides resistance.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
You can use all kinds of things. You can do deads and squats with things you find around the house. Do push ups and reverse grip pull ups under the play ground bars.

Walking lunges, mountain climbers and walkouts. You can do dragon flyes for abs and seated crunches with sit ups.

Milk carton shoulder workouts. You could get a wagon or make a powerlifting sled and do drags with it.

Biceps stuff should be easy. Do tricep kickbacks with milk cartons when thats to easy make one filled with concrete :)

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I personally would look into making some molds with handles and just make some concrete weights!

E J

E J

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Crader excellent advice! Will def look into making weights, I mean financial situation ain't THAT bad, so I might be able to buy some cheap dumbells or some cheap plates and work out with them. But meanwhile or when needed I can make my own.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
burpees

they are the absolute most you can do exercise wise to catch whole body in single exercise with no equipment in a 7'x4' space - ie a jail cell. it got popularity as a prison exercise, demanding as all hell. if you can do them under a bar then with the jump at the end you can do a pullup as well to really complete it

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Or with the burpee thing my trainer has me do them every week but we don't jump at the end she has us grab a dumbell and go into a deadlift at the end then lay it back down and continue on the reps.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
+ 1 to burpees, I'm glad someone mentioned that.

Check out Crossfit.com for some training ideas - it will bring a refreshing new experience to you. Stringing together some bodyweight exercises will haul some serious ass.

Here's just a quick example, as devising these workouts are very simple, yet the possibilities are nearly endless.

Try a "21-15-9" workout, that is 21 reps off all 3 exercises, 15 of the exercises, and then 9. Keep a stopwatch to time yourself, and beat that time next week/two weeks from now.

21 Pushups, 21 Air Squats, 21 Burpees
15 Pushups, 15 Air Squats, 15 Burpees
9 Pushups, 9 Air Squats, 9 Burpees

If you bring the intensity, you will have one of the best workouts of your life, and I mean that with all integrity. Change up the exercises each time you do them, bringing new stimulus to your body each and every time. Maybe repeat a workout every 2-3 weeks, such as this one above, to gauge your progress. You could refer to a repeated workout like so as a "benchmark workout". Real fun stuff, always working to better yourself as an athlete.

By the time you get back into the gym, you will have some new abilities in you, which can bring some pretty great gains in the gym in terms of athleticism. Taking a break from the gym could be one of the best things for your training, you never know!

E J

E J

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys I should be able to train better now. Really appreciate it.

Just one question, is it possible to add muscle without weights (I was in the middle of a bulk)?

pantherdude63

pantherdude63

Awards
  • Established

Just one question, is it possible to add muscle without weights (I was in the middle of a bulk)?
I think you could to a certain extent but i dont think it would be anything like you could in a gym. It seems like you would get more defined than get bigger just because your having to do more reps to get a workout. But thats just my opinion. Good luck with your training and financial situation.:thumbsup:

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established

It's possible. But harder. How many pushups can you do? Do like 10 sets of those 3x per week. :)

E J

E J

Awards
  • Established
It's possible. But harder. How many pushups can you do? Do like 10 sets of those 3x per week.
Thanks Renegade, 10 sets of push ups to failure? Should I also do squats the same? (10 sets to failure?)

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Why worry about looks when you can become AN ATHLETE!!!!!!!

Superset those pushups with some planks for a pretty intense shoulder burn... endurance is to follow from those workouts. Another idea to through out there is to fill a backpack for "weighed" pushups. You'd be suprised how much of a difference 20lbs makes on your back!

Actually, on that thought, do everything with a weighed backpack when you desire the extra intensity. Non just weighted squats... olympic lifts with any dead weight is possible. Fill it up with boots, and get sum!