my routine, needs critiqing

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.87%

my routine, needs critiqing

im new here and this is my first post, but to the good stuff....

my means are to get bigger, but try to stay semi-lean. Im 20, i try to watch what i eat by not eating the "bad foods", but i do it mostly by not eating, because i honestly cant stand most healthy foods. I'm 5'10 and about 168 lbs. but for my routines ive been following:

back/tricep
    -low rows 4 sets
    -front or close grip pull downs 4 sets
    -rope pull downs 4 sets
    -dead lifts 4 sets
    -bar dips 3 sets
    -dumbell tricep ext. 4sets

shoulder/bicep

-shoulder press 4 sets
    -preacher curls 4 sets
    -upright rows 4 sets
    -reverse cable curl 4 sets
    -side/front dumbell raises 3-4 sets
    -hammer curls 3 sets

chest
    -incline bench on smith 4 sets
    -dumbell bench 4 sets
    -cable cross overs 4 sets
    -butterfly machine 4 sets

for the 4th and 5th day i usually pick a set of muscles i feel needs work and use those routines listed.
    - i usually run about 1 - 1 1/2 miles before work out.
    -as far as supplements i was using black powder, and recently switched back to no-xplode. and i take whey protein probably about once or twice a day. and once post workout. and idrink these protein drinks that naked juice makes 30 grams a bottle, try to get 1 or 2 of those down while at work. i try to keep in mind throughout the day to consume the same amount of grams of protein that i weigh.

i usually dont work out on fridays or saturdays but ill pick it back up on sunday.

any thoughts, suggestions, or opinions are greatly appreciated.
    thanks in advance.

2. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.38%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

Ummmm, legs???
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.87%

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Ummmm, legs???
    lol i was waiting for that. i used to work out my legs alot, actually probably on my legs when i did muay thai, however i rarely and almost never work out my legs. the only exercise they get is my running, occasional muay thai, and work.

and maybe i should mention i am a pretty heavy drinker on the weekends. if thats makes any difference.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.1%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by singolz View Post
    save cardio for after workout.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.87%

alright, will keep that mind. anything else that could help me out?
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  251 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.91%
    Achievements Posting Pro

u get a big test. rush by working out legs... its a big muscle, it helps overall muscle deveopment if im not mistaken
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.46%

lol i was waiting for that. i used to work out my legs alot, actually probably on my legs when i did muay thai, however i rarely and almost never work out my legs. the only exercise they get is my running, occasional muay thai, and work.

and maybe i should mention i am a pretty heavy drinker on the weekends. if thats makes any difference.
    ok, second question. why the **** not? :squat:
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.87%

Quote Originally Posted by raginfcktard View Post
    ok, second question. why the **** not? :squat:
    i think for the most part is because when i do my legs are dead because i never work them out. and i do alot of physical labor at work so my legs are important. i understand if i work through it then all that soreness wouldnt be such a big problem, but those are my reasonings. i do feel im over working my arms sometimes, which is ironic because i feel thats where my muscles lack the most. but starting this week im sure ill throw legs in there. as far as my routine goes does any one have suggestions for that? all comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated again, thanks.
  9. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.1%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

i do feel im over working my arms sometimes, which is ironic because i feel thats where my muscles lack the most.
    your probly overtraining them, or not eating enough to recover.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.68%

Don't work legs too hard the first day, keep it light. The next week work it, this will help with them being fudged up since you never work them. They will be sore, but once you get into the grove of it, it will be just like any other muscle, a bit of soreness but nothing too impede work.
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  224 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.37%
    Achievements Posting Pro

its good that you are takin in the whey shakes and the naked juice protein drinks... but what does the rest of your diet look like? in terms of protein how much do u get from chicken, lean beef, turkey, fish?
    and if you are tryin to add some size how many good carbs are you takin in?
    besides the no xplode are you takin any other supps like fish oils and such
    CURRENT 2014 Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/old-school-hormone/252748-cherry-poppin-test.html
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.87%

the only supplements i take are the ones i listed, i dont really have much of a diet. i just try to stay away from "the bad" foods as i said above, but i usually end up eating them. so i rarely really watch what i eat. Probably explains the little chubbiness in my stomach i cant lose. if i guestimate how much protein im taking in from solid foods, id say around 60-90grams in a day.
    when i try not to eat bad stuff i usually just dont eat, maybe 1 or 2 small things a day and like a slim fast or somthing. it made my weight drop about 7-8 lbs in 3 weeks along with cardio everyday. It was definately the wrong way to do it, which is why i gained all of it back.
    i actually took a short little log of all the foods i ate today, calories, grams of fat, carbs, protein, etc. and its surprising how much crap i ingest. Its starting to motivate myself into having a stricter diet, because my stomach isnt looking up to par. any idea where my caloric intake should be? fat? carbs?

ill definately start training legs though, im probably going to throw it in on thursday, so even if they are all that sore its only friday i have to deal with it.

thanks for all the feedback and suggestion though. really appreciate it and im gonna be keeping this all in mind. It just seems like a really big hassle carrying around a pen and paper trying to log everything i eat. maybe some one knows an easier way? anyways, thanks again.
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.8%
    Achievements Posting Pro

im new here and this is my first post, but to the good stuff....

my means are to get bigger, but try to stay semi-lean. Im 20, i try to watch what i eat by not eating the "bad foods", but i do it mostly by not eating, because i honestly cant stand most healthy foods. I'm 5'10 and about 168 lbs. but for my routines ive been following:

back/tricep
    -low rows 4 sets
    -front or close grip pull downs 4 sets
    -rope pull downs 4 sets
    -dead lifts 4 sets
    -bar dips 3 sets
    -dumbell tricep ext. 4sets

shoulder/bicep

-shoulder press 4 sets
    -preacher curls 4 sets
    -upright rows 4 sets
    -reverse cable curl 4 sets
    -side/front dumbell raises 3-4 sets
    -hammer curls 3 sets

chest
    -incline bench on smith 4 sets
    -dumbell bench 4 sets
    -cable cross overs 4 sets
    -butterfly machine 4 sets

for the 4th and 5th day i usually pick a set of muscles i feel needs work and use those routines listed.
    -as far as supplements i was using black powder, and recently switched back to no-xplode. and i take whey protein probably about once or twice a day. and once post workout. and idrink these protein drinks that naked juice makes 30 grams a bottle, try to get 1 or 2 of those down while at work. i try to keep in mind throughout the day to consume the same amount of grams of protein that i weigh.

i usually dont work out on fridays or saturdays but ill pick it back up on sunday.

any thoughts, suggestions, or opinions are greatly appreciated.
    thanks in advance.

I would probably swith biceps and triceps days. Your also doing more sets for the biceps then the triceps. Triceps are the bigger portion of the arm, switch the amounts of sets you do for biceps and triceps. get rid of the smith machine incline and replace it with db or barbell incline.

replace pulldowns with 3 sets of chins, and then 2-3 sets of close grip chins. Add bent over rows. seems like alot of work for back, but it could look like this.

deads 4 sets
    bent rows 3 sets
    low rows 3 sets
    chins 3 sets
    close grip chins 2 sets
    rear laterals 2-3 sets(i like post delts on back day much better)

The back is a big complex part of the body it needs lots of angles and work. You can switch it up do more row work on some days or more chin work on others, or even work more on deads some others.

Also hit legs, dont skip the squats either, go all the way down. No excuses just do your legs. I could probably tweak it some more, but i would start with that, do some reading on some of the exercise you are doing you will get more of an idea of what you want and what you can throw out.

PS: your young so lets explain it better do your legs especially sqauts. you havent worked out at all til legs have been done for the week. In other word if you are going to be workking double over time and have a super busy schedule and can do 1 workout for that week its legs. If you worked out everybody part and skip legs then youve done nothing. get it in your head now, learn to love them, legs legs legs.
    Last edited by rugger48; 07-22-2008 at 05:45 AM.
  14. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.87%

Quote Originally Posted by rugger48 View Post
    I would probably swith biceps and triceps days. Your also doing more sets for the biceps then the triceps. Triceps are the bigger portion of the arm, switch the amounts of sets you do for biceps and triceps. get rid of the smith machine incline and replace it with db or barbell incline.

replace pulldowns with 3 sets of chins, and then 2-3 sets of close grip chins. Add bent over rows. seems like alot of work for back, but it could look like this.

deads 4 sets
    bent rows 3 sets
    low rows 3 sets
    chins 3 sets
    close grip chins 2 sets
    rear laterals 2-3 sets(i like post delts on back day much better)

The back is a big complex part of the body it needs lots of angles and work. You can switch it up do more row work on some days or more chin work on others, or even work more on deads some others.

Also hit legs, dont skip the squats either, go all the way down. No excuses just do your legs. I could probably tweak it some more, but i would start with that, do some reading on some of the exercise you are doing you will get more of an idea of what you want and what you can throw out.

PS: your young so lets explain it better do your legs especially sqauts. you havent worked out at all til legs have been done for the week. In other word if you are going to be workking double over time and have a super busy schedule and can do 1 workout for that week its legs. If you worked out everybody part and skip legs then youve done nothing. get it in your head now, learn to love them, legs legs legs.

yea the reason why i have more bicep routines than triceps is because i figured my triceps get alot of extra work, such as my shoulder and chest days, where as my biceps get used mostly on back days, and a little on shoulders and chest. but i will look into that. The reason why i use the smith machine was because i work out alone alot of the time, and its easier to just lock the barbell incase i max and cant push another. but i could definately do dumbells.

as for back, sad to say i have a little trouble with chin ups lol. but after all the reading ive been doing on here, im hearing chin ups are a good way to build mass. ill definately try that list of routines you gave me tomorrow when i do back and ill let you know how everything goes. ive always had a problem hitting my rear delts, maybe form?

Im suppose to be working out legs today, to give my biceps a slight rest from yesterdays shoulder/bicep work out. so todays routines would be?

squats 5 sets
    calf raises 4 sets
    leg press 4sets
    lunges 3 sets

i just never knew legs were really all that important. thanks for the feedback though. im starting to love this website.
  15. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  224 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.37%
    Achievements Posting Pro

for your diet.. if you are tryin to add size then go 500 cals over maintnaince a day...
    the past few weeks i have changed up my diet a bit and increased it to 2700-3000 and i can vouch and so can almost everyone else on this board and say if you want good clean gains it has to start with training and diet.. and since you are already gettin good advice from above posters in training you just need to set ur mind to a "diet"

you are right it is a hassle carryin a pen and pencil around to log your meals... when i make breakfast i put together everything i need for the rest of the day too (except dinner and post-wo shake) and take that to work with me... i also eat almost the same thing every day, but i give myself a few options to keep it interesting.. switch from brown rice w/lentils and scrambled eggs to chicken sandwhich to turkey.. you will be surprised how much you can actually eat
    CURRENT 2014 Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/old-school-hormone/252748-cherry-poppin-test.html
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.87%

Quote Originally Posted by smshannon001 View Post
    for your diet.. if you are tryin to add size then go 500 cals over maintnaince a day...
    the past few weeks i have changed up my diet a bit and increased it to 2700-3000 and i can vouch and so can almost everyone else on this board and say if you want good clean gains it has to start with training and diet.. and since you are already gettin good advice from above posters in training you just need to set ur mind to a "diet"

you are right it is a hassle carryin a pen and pencil around to log your meals... when i make breakfast i put together everything i need for the rest of the day too (except dinner and post-wo shake) and take that to work with me... i also eat almost the same thing every day, but i give myself a few options to keep it interesting.. switch from brown rice w/lentils and scrambled eggs to chicken sandwhich to turkey.. you will be surprised how much you can actually eat

yea ive been considering keeping a consistent diet, i think ill go exploring the diet threads. i just dont know what im gonna do about the whole drinking part, because i love to drink on the weekends. but i definately will be lookin into a strict diet. thanks for the advice.
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.87%

alright so im about to be on my 4th day work out biceps and back. i did legs 2 days ago and my legs are f*ckin killin me! i can barely get in and out of a vehicle. let alone walk.
    as for yesterday, i did chest and tris. and for some reason i was full of energy and did around 20 sets for chest. im not sure if i overworked my muscles, but im even sore. i think its that NO-xplode thats giving me all this energy.
    ive been tryin to have a healthier diet as well. banana and slim fast in the morning, lunch ill usually have chicken adobo (if there are any filipinos here?) and white rice. if i dont have that, ill usually have a turkey sandwich with crushed hard boiled egg whites. and i usually wash that down with with 1 1/2-2 scoops of whey protein. mid day i try to eat a sandwich or somthing. after work, probably 1 scoop of whey protein, sadly another sandwich and a granola bar. NO-xplode pre work out. protein bar mid workout, and 1 1/2 scoops of whey post work out. just wondering if theres any adjustments id need in my diet?
    im also consdering trying GVT after reading about it for a bit. any comments or suggestions appreciated. thanks again
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.68%

alright so im about to be on my 4th day work out biceps and back. i did legs 2 days ago and my legs are f*ckin killin me! i can barely get in and out of a vehicle. let alone walk.
    as for yesterday, i did chest and tris. and for some reason i was full of energy and did around 20 sets for chest. im not sure if i overworked my muscles, but im even sore. i think its that NO-xplode thats giving me all this energy.
    ive been tryin to have a healthier diet as well. banana and slim fast in the morning, lunch ill usually have chicken adobo (if there are any filipinos here?) and white rice. if i dont have that, ill usually have a turkey sandwich with crushed hard boiled egg whites. and i usually wash that down with with 1 1/2-2 scoops of whey protein. mid day i try to eat a sandwich or somthing. after work, probably 1 scoop of whey protein, sadly another sandwich and a granola bar. NO-xplode pre work out. protein bar mid workout, and 1 1/2 scoops of whey post work out. just wondering if theres any adjustments id need in my diet?
    im also consdering trying GVT after reading about it for a bit. any comments or suggestions appreciated. thanks again
    I told you to take it easy man, but the best way to learn is the hard way. You can push push push legs to their limits, but you are going to pay for it the next day.
  19. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.87%

haha go big or go home right?
    but yea i can barely walk it sucks.
  20. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.68%

I learned the hard way. I was told we weren't going to be doing any PT (physical training, USMC) on Friday so I decided Thursday was the perfect day to get back into the gym and work Legs. Figured i'd really push it, 3 days of rest and all.

Well, change of heart at the last minute, we ended up running 4 miles, I could barely walk but had to force myself to run. 35 minutes of straight pain later, I have a small indention on my right thigh to this day, but it's not that noticeable. This was about 6 months ago.
    Last edited by Condition1; 07-24-2008 at 10:27 PM. Reason: oh yeah.
  21. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.87%

sheesus christ. man that sucks, small indentation? what could that be from?
  22. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.67%

when I started I never did my legs. until my upper body started getting big and it looked ridiculous so now I go crazy with my legs....use to HATE squats now there one of my fav excersises even though I still HATE them lol

Similar Forum Threads

1. Help with 5/3/1 routine
    By SweetLou321 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-28-2010, 07:16 AM
  2. Help With My HST Routine
    By koi1214 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-29-2007, 01:07 PM
  3. Muscle Confusion or The ‘Non – Routine’ Routine
    By Quinc in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 3