best time to lift weights and cardio

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.94%

best time to lift weights and cardio

When doing cardio along with doing weights, which is the best time to do each. For example, Cardio in the morning and weights after work?

2. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'11"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.41%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I'd usually do a little bit of cardio then some weights. I'm usually to knackered after doing weights to do cardio. Or just do them on seperate days.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.08%

If you're primary goal is to gain muscle mass, then ideally you're workout should be scheduled around the time you have the most energy. Some people love morning workouts because they're fresh and can put maximum effort into it, while others, like me, aren't morning persons, and need at least a couple meals in me before I workout. Some people like working out at nights. Now if you're a really busy person, you may have to schedule your workout whenever you have the time for it.

As far as how you work in cardio with weight training, there is no one right answer. In some research articles I've read, it's suggested that you space cardio and weight training by at least 6 hours. On the other hand, some people get great results by doing cardio right after weight training, or right before. So, I would say that it's best to experiment to see what gives you the best results.

The only thing I wouldn't recommend is doing cardio right before bed. You don't want to boost your metabolism so much that you risk becoming more catabolic while you sleep than you have to. So in your situation, maybe you could try doing cardio in the morning, and do your weight training later in the day. Also keep your nutrition in mind, adjusting accordingly depending on what your doing at which times (nutrition and timing are very important here). Just remember to still give yourself rest days, trying not to engage in any strenuous activity, to give your body the rest it needs.

Hope that was of some help to you. Just do a little experimenting to see what works best for you! Good luck!
    •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. am or pm to lift weights
    By Ectofighter in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-14-2008, 01:10 PM
  2. I lift weights because ...
    By comrade in forum General Chat
    Replies: 261
    Last Post: 04-06-2008, 04:22 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-19-2007, 12:34 PM
  4. How much do you increase the weights you lift each time?
    By Gaf Knee in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-05-2003, 08:57 PM