Workout Designed to Maximize Test

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Assume you wanted to work out three days a week, 45 to 60 minutes per work out, with your sole objective being to maximize testosterone production as a result of your lifting regimen - what would your workout routine consist of? Specifically, which lifts, and at what maximum number of reps?

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
Heavy compound movements... all lifts.

Here is my current routine... fully body 3x/week... 5 sets each...

MONDAY
BB deadlift
BB overhead press
BB close-grip bench press

TUESDAY
Sprints
Abs

WEDNESDAY
BB bench press
BB bent row
BB upright row

THURSDAY
Jogging
Abs

FRIDAY
BB squat
BB incline press
Pullups

And EAT!

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
shakesallday is right. i read a report on maximizing test i think it was jan issue of fitness rx. 4-5 sets of 10 reps with heavy weight seems to be the consensus. also, more test is released from the larger muscle groups - the four MOST important exercises (according to the article) are squats, bench press, deadlifts, clean and press.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
squats, bench press, deadlifts
The "Big 3"... you'll notice I start each workout with one of them... simple and is like magic.

:squat::dl:
:bb3:

I would substitute weighted dips for bench press if I had the means here at home to perform them.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
i did a psycho full body 3x a week, but i'm nuts and i love supersets:

M - squat (ass to ground) / bench / deadlift / pull up / floor wiper / clean and press (5x10)

W - lunges / push ups / floor wipers / DB curl to arnold press / deadlift with hex bar (6x10)

F - DB bench / sumo deadlift / chin ups / dips / floor wipers / the sled (5x10)

gained about 2 pounds a month for the 4 months i did this. but my workout was a cross between maximizing test (4-5x10) and a GH booster (lower weights + supersets with no breaks). its hard to breathe after this. the biggest problem i had though was if anyone was using my space my intensity got shot. weights weren't super low, squats with 205, bench 185 but the bench at least was far from my max. good times.

Genetic79

Genetic79

Awards
Full body workout 3 days a week. All compound exercises, no single joint exercises. Don't go over 6 reps and 4 sets.

Diet wise lots of good fats and whole eggs.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Full body workout 3 days a week. All compound exercises, no single joint exercises. Don't go over 6 reps and 4 sets.

Diet wise lots of good fats and whole eggs.
I've been eating three eggs every morning for the past two weeks, and supplement with fish oil, coconut oil and EVOO.

Thanks to all for the contributions so far.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
I've been eating three eggs every morning for the past two weeks, and supplement with fish oil, coconut oil and EVOO.

Thanks to all for the contributions so far.
That's great! I eat ~4 whole eggs for breakfast (when I have the 15 min. to fix and eat them). And, I have fish oil, coconut oil, and EVOO in the cabinet. I also have safflower oil, peanut oil, and Enova (look into that).

Nothing like some good steak and eggs for breakfast!

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I'll confess a bit ....

I am 49 and am trying to do everything I possibly can to maintain healthy test levels (although lately I've been spending more time talking about lifting than I have been actually lifting). I am going through a damned divorce (wife of 27 years cheated again - and I'm finally done with her sorry butt), so I REALLY want to make sure both test levels and libido don't suffer from age-related decline or the emotional roller coaster.

Do you suggest an increase in red meat consumption? I don't eat a lot of red meat; much more fish and chicken.