Workout Suggestions

nestafaria

Awards
This is my current workout. I'd like to hear anybody's suggestions. I see the least progress in my back(not much at all). Also, its pretty hard to include traps in leg day b/c i'm wiped after squats and leg press. I'm looking for a mix of strength/size. I previously tried a push/pull split that worked every bodypart twice a week. I didn't get good results and I don't think I was recovering well. My lifts are
Bench Max: 250x1
Deadlift: 205x5
Squat: 225x5

I normally do 15-20 minutes low intensity cardio afterwards, except leg day.

Monday(chest)
BB Bench: 4x10
Incline DB: 3x10
Decline: 3x10

Tuesday(back)
Deadlift: 3x10
Pullups: 3 sets unassisted (normally get 6-7 reps)
1 arm row: 3x10
Cable row: 3x10

Wednesday:
Off

Thursday(shoulders/arms)
Military press 3x10
wide grip upright row: 3x10
weigted dips: 3x10
closegrip press: 3x10
super with cable pushdown
hammer curls: 3x10
super with db curls.
Fri: OFF
Sat:
Squats: 3x10
Leg press: 3x10
BB shrugs: 3x10
Leg extensions: 3x10
Standing calf raise: 4x10

Thanks.

Jaynandez

Jaynandez

Awards
I seperate shoulders and arms. I like to spend a whole work out on each. I like to do a lot for shoulders. For bench I like to change it up an do pyramids that really helped me pick up my bench.

nestafaria

Awards
I really don't have time to get to the gym more than 4 days a week. Any other suggestions? And i'll look into pyramids for bench, thanks.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
Increase your volume. I would train back and biceps on the same day, and either shoulder with tris, or chest with tri's. You need to go much heavier with your deadlifts. Instead of sets of 10, do sets of 3 or 4. You need to add some heavy barbell rows to your back routine as well. Pyramiding your bench would be a good idea. 6 total sets for shoulders isnt going to cut it. Add in Push press and laterals. You have triceps covered, for biceps you need to add in good old standing barbell curls. Go heavier with your squats and add in some front squats and lunges. Hope that helps.

nestafaria

Awards
Thanks, I was thinking about doing bi's with back and tri's with chest, and then shoulders/traps on thursday. Its interesting you bring up shoulders, I've moved from 95 lbs for reps to 135 in a few months and haven't seen a 30% improvement anywhere else.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, I was thinking about doing bi's with back and tri's with chest, and then shoulders/traps on thursday. Its interesting you bring up shoulders, I've moved from 95 lbs for reps to 135 in a few months and haven't seen a 30% improvement anywhere else.
Thats good, I just think you would see even better results if you do more volume. Dont overtrain, but shoot for 12 sets or so. Well developed delts are rare, and really complete a good physique. The wider the shoulders, the smaller the waist appears.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
This is my current workout. I'd like to hear anybody's suggestions. I see the least progress in my back(not much at all). Also, its pretty hard to include traps in leg day b/c i'm wiped after squats and leg press. I'm looking for a mix of strength/size. I previously tried a push/pull split that worked every bodypart twice a week. I didn't get good results and I don't think I was recovering well. My lifts are
Bench Max: 250x1
Deadlift: 205x5
Squat: 225x5

I normally do 15-20 minutes low intensity cardio afterwards, except leg day.

Monday(chest)
BB Bench: 4x10
Incline DB: 3x10
Decline: 3x10

Tuesday(back)
Deadlift: 3x10
Pullups: 3 sets unassisted (normally get 6-7 reps)
1 arm row: 3x10
Cable row: 3x10

Wednesday:
Off

Thursday(shoulders/arms)
Military press 3x10
wide grip upright row: 3x10
weigted dips: 3x10
closegrip press: 3x10
super with cable pushdown
hammer curls: 3x10
super with db curls.
Fri: OFF
Sat:
Squats: 3x10
Leg press: 3x10
BB shrugs: 3x10
Leg extensions: 3x10
Standing calf raise: 4x10

Thanks.

You don't need 3 pressing exercises for chest. Pick a barbell a dumbell and a fly and switch things around every few months.

deadlifts should be hard in the 5 rep range, maybe 3x5. try ending your back work with 2x8 on occasion instead. You do deads pullups and a row and theoretically get a damn good back workout.

Shoulders and arms are fine, for shoulders try strict standing shoulder presses for 3x8, and do side and rear latelas and your shoulders should be toast. All you really need are 2 bi and tri exercises if you hit them hard.

For legs try squats, hack squats, and walking lunges. Squats 5x5, hacks 2x20, and walking lunges for 4 sets. This should be brutal.

Just some quick thoughs.

Squires

Awards
Have you considered an upper/lower split? Also, there should be a pull for ever push. The current set-up is almost two pressing exercises(bench and overhead press) for every pulling exercise (rows and pull-ups). Keeping it closer to 1/1 will help maintain shoulder health.

The same line of thinking can be applied to upper/lower ratio, pay attention to this if you want to avoid the "big guy with tooth-pick legs" look.

nestafaria

Awards
Could you provide an example of an upper/lower split? I never considered my workout in terms of pushes and pulls, thats interesting though. Thanks for the advice.

Squires

Awards
A four day upper/lower split would consist of two lower and two upper days. For the lower one day squats are the primary movement, the other deadlift. Spread the days out, so you have at least two full days of rest (mon-thurs or mon-fri, for example). Do 2-3 total exercises. Add abs and low back work if needed.

For upper:

Push- bench(any type), dips(parallel bar dips are superior to bench dips), overhead press (any type)

Pull- rows (any type), pull-ups (switch grips often, add weight once you can do over 10 reps)

Each day should be different. One could be heavier, and the other more volume. Different exercises should be used (bench day 1, incline db day 2). Add some arm training at the end if you would like. If you are doing more than 4 lifts plus a couple sets for the arms, you are not going hard enough on the big lifts. For example; bench followed by pull-ups should come close to frying you for the day. Reps should be 3-8, the extra stuff at the end can go higher.