training question

kkr

Awards
If you cannot workout for a few weeks, can you take protein supplements to keep your muscle mass?

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
If you cannot workout for a few weeks, can you take protein supplements to keep your muscle mass?

Yes, keep protein high and also look into a product called Purple WRAATH or any amino acid blend. It helps fight catabolism

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you're not working out or doing anything strenuous I would just drink plenty of fluids and make sure you keep your diet healthy. I would only move to supps if you have an issue with getting the nutrients you need through whole foods.

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
Like the other guys said, keep your diet in check, high in protein, and drink plenty of fluids. Don't start to panic if you lose a little weight, because that's probably going to happen to an extent regardless of what you do, but if you work hard to maintain your mass by maintaining an appropriate diet, you shouldn't lose too much in four weeks. And once you start back, it shouldn't take you too long to gain back what you lose in this downtime. Just think of it as a four week vacation!

Also, another supplement you can look into is NAC (N-Acetyl Cysteine). I've read some studies showing it's ability to fight muscle catabolism.

Good luck!

Squires

Awards
If the situation is just the inability to get to the gym, then body-weight exercises will allow more muscle to be retained. They can be done virtually anywhere, and take very little time to do.