Defeating the plateau

chaudry

chaudry

Awards
So I'm at a plateau that I've been at forever, and I'm trying to get past it and see gains again. I want to switch up my routine. I hardly Ever get sore anymore.....I haven't for probably over a year. I've been doing alot of strength training and am currently doing alot of 4-8 rep exercises. My question is if I do high rep (15-failure,) will that be a good switch to help my body grow (mass and strength)? My diet and everything is in check, I just need something to shock my muscles again since they've adapted to everything I do. Comments?

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
First what kind of plateau are refering too, strength or size?

Because you dont have to get sore to grow muscle, or gain strength. It's a good sign, and it helps mentally, but its not the final word.

You could do one of two things, either switch up your routine, or take some time off from the gym. A week or two, and just relax, that helps me heal my body sometimes, and get ready for another couple months of working out.

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
There are many different training routines already lined out (DC, HIT, GVT, etc.). Search through the training and exercise science forums for more info.

Just because you're not sore doesn't mean you're not growing. When is the last time you took a longer-than-usual break? When I was on a different routine one time that involved more lifting throughout the week, it seemed as though I was never sore. Then I took a couple days off and it caught up to me big time. Rest is key.

Search different preset training routines and find one that suits you.

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
First what kind of plateau are refering too, strength or size?

Because you dont have to get sore to grow muscle, or gain strength. It's a good sign, and it helps mentally, but its not the final word.

You could do one of two things, either switch up your routine, or take some time off from the gym. A week or two, and just relax, that helps me heal my body sometimes, and get ready for another couple months of working out.
Damn I must type slow. :)

chaudry

chaudry

Awards
well basically my size and strength have plateau'd, but i would really like to get some more size (6'2 and 192 lbs, i'd like to be around 210 right now.) I tried taking a week off for a break and I got sore after my first day back, then never again after that. Will higher rep'd sets help for mass?

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
well basically my size and strength have plateau'd, but i would really like to get some more size (6'2 and 192 lbs, i'd like to be around 210 right now.) I tried taking a week off for a break and I got sore after my first day back, then never again after that. Will higher rep'd sets help for mass?
Obviously you aren't going to be lifting the same weight at 8 reps that you would be at 12-15, but as long as it is still heavy you will gain mass. Diet is more of a factor if you are trying to gain/bulk.

Looking into German Volume Training, Max OT, and possibly for legs, the 20 rep squat.