DB shrugs VS BB shrugs

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I prefer BB simply for the overload, and I don't find the BB's as comfortable to shrug. I find I can hit the traps better personally with a BB vs DB, but to each his own.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
personally i prefer DB shrugs - only because i can do them seated - the best trap isolation i've ever had. BB standing i can do 80 pounds more, but i tend to use my calves to get the weight up.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
personally i prefer DB shrugs - only because i can do them seated - the best trap isolation i've ever had. BB standing i can do 80 pounds more, but i tend to use my calves to get the weight up.
I do mine in a smith machine, and I stand slightly forward of the bar so the weight drives down right through my heels. I can't activate my calves at all, which helps me isolate the traps.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
I do mine in a smith machine, and I stand slightly forward of the bar so the weight drives down right through my heels. I can't activate my calves at all, which helps me isolate the traps.

good idea - will give it a shot next week. i think bodybuilding is such an individual thing - for example, i still can't flex my lats, but i can sink my mid pecs into my upper pecs, doing the franco columbo pose. everyone is built so different in this sport, its all about finding new techniques, and figuring out what works for you. great idea though, i will definitely try it!

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do both forms. My traps grow like little girls so i pound em twice a week!

gibsonj4

gibsonj4

Awards
  • Established
The way I shocked my traps into growing was doing 5 sets of BB shrugs with a warmup @ 135.

So mine usually is:
135 @ 12 reps
225 @ 15 reps
245 @ 12 reps
275 @ 8-10 reps
295 or 315 @ 4-5 reps

With good form and no rocking motion.

fritzer

fritzer

Awards
  • Established
best way to grow traps, is having six plates a side, bar all bent and shrug that 10 or so times

worked for me :)

ofcourse you need to work up to it

KurtisWicked

KurtisWicked

Awards
If I want to go heavy I use BB. The DB's at my gym only go to 120, fairly light for shrugs. I can only do 4 plates per side. :sad:

swoosh

swoosh

Awards
Do them both... can't hurt can it? (obviously overtraining can, but keeping it in a good set range)

willyp

willyp

Awards
I do both BB works a little better due to the amount of weight you can do. But i do DB so i can make sure each side gets its fair share.

fritzer

fritzer

Awards
  • Established
i agree with willyp

i do BB with alternating grip like you would with deadlift. i throw on six a side and some change, straps if needed, and bang out some good reps. the grip doesnt change the development, but as willyp said DB can fix that if needed

SO:

BB Shrugs: Heavy x 2 sets of 6-8
DB Shrugs: 120 x 8, x8

on BB i go for heavy overload, i dont care about perfect form, etc

on DB i go for slow power up, squeeze and controlled down with a big stretch at the bottom

for me what gibson said with the 5 sets is way too much
i usually would do two heavy BB and one nice and easy DB, but always going heavy as possible

oh but also the heavy shrugs can be hard on the joints, be careful and even if you can jump 40lbs in a week, relax and take it slow. within two months i went from 315 to well over 500 and although my traps blew up my collar bone joint was not to happy...

Brolic

Brolic

Banned
Awards
  • Established
the only benfit i see is

DB is netual shrug
BB the weighht is front of u

fyi- i do DB shurgs bc i cAN MOVE faster meaning i dont have to add more pates, just grab a new DB. going from 135 to 315 takes times.. im just lazy.. i never really fosuced onmy traps. but i guess i should..

big traps meakes u werid. their is this guy at my gym whos traps are BEASTLY.. it makes he look so narrow..jonnnie jackson stopped doing shrugs for that reason

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Db allows for a better contraction because you need to slightly adduct your scapulae for the trapezius to contract.

gibsonj4

gibsonj4

Awards
  • Established
I prefer Form>weight for both. Grip strength has a lot to do with how much weight u can do on bb.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
db are always more uncomfortable and i like the gripping of bb and the weight you can get on the bar but im gonna start doing db's now.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Db allows for a better contraction because you need to slightly adduct your scapulae for the trapezius to contract.
pretty much, in your fancy shmancy school talk...haha

I do single are DB shrugs sometimes. Use the end or one of the supports on the DB racking/holder to support the non weighted side.

Also, i can only do DB shrugs if i have the energy. BB shrugs seem a bit easier for me, im guess for the above reason. It takes more outta you to do DBs.(IMO)

CJPopovich

Awards
  • Established
What has worked best for me is to just pile the weight on a straight bar and do a lot of reps. I tend to do reps >10, sometimes in the 25 range, and use as much weight as I can. I don't get the same feeling from dumbbell work, although I still employ it from time to time.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
As far as BB vs DB, I find dumbells to be superior for every exercise.

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
best way to grow traps, is having six plates a side, bar all bent and shrug that 10 or so times

worked for me :)

ofcourse you need to work up to it
god i hate you:aargh: i do it all with little to no growth. what do you think about doing dead lifts from off the rack to be able to put more stress on the upper back and less on the lower back and quads...along with shugs of course.