If what i am doing is wrong, why am i noticing gains?

whoareu

Awards
I have been going to the gym for almost 4 solid months now pretty consistently. i try to go every other day. i work all muscle groups to failure and then push myself to do alittle more. i always ensure proper technique is used and have a spotter on hand if need be. I always start with benchpress and then usually move to tirceps then bi's, then i will do some dumbell bench and decline, basically i work one muscle group to failure doing one exercise then move on to another muscle group and eventually go back to the original muscle group but do a different exercise. Is what i am doing wrong, i usually am at the gym for around 2-3 hours which is fine with me. and i have notice good gains. I know most people go and do one group one day and then another group next day and so forth, is there a problem with working all groups one day and taking 1-2 days off?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Age and experience play a huge role in this. Based on your stats, your are young, inexperienced, or both.

maurice02

maurice02

Awards
  • Established
Age and experience play a huge role in this. Based on your stats, your are young, inexperienced, or both.
agreed, 5'7 and 140...plenty of room for improvement...thus that may be why you are seeing gains quickly.

Have you noticed strength increase?

whoareu

Awards
I am 28 and very fit/lean i guess i am young.And yes i have noticed strenght gains.

whoareu

Awards
and the reason i have only been going for 4 months was because of a shoulder injury last year.had to stop. but no problems since.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
u've just got into lifting on a serious note? if so, u r experiencing begginers gains...I could go into the neurological reasons but its an easy google. after about 6 months, give or take the gains r going to slow down...might take 9 months but its coming...then ull have to consider changing that routine.

mcour1226

mcour1226

Awards
IMO exercise is part art and part science... There isn't really a defined right or wrong way to see gains.. You break down your muscles, eat a healthy diet, rest then grow... As long as you let your muscles rest, you will grow. 2-3 hours in the gym is too much! You might be putting too much stress on your CNS. Try to split your routine up ie Chest/bi's, Shoulders/tri's Legs, back, and so on.. 4 days a week for 1-1.5 hrs is enough... Just my 2 cents

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
At 140 lbs you should be able to grow just walking into a gym while eating bag of doritos as your only meal for the day. Also as a new trainer you should not be using a bodypart split as you say most poeple do. Most peope do that because they grew up reading magazines.

whoareu

Awards
At 140 lbs you should be able to grow just walking into a gym while eating bag of doritos as your only meal for the day. Also as a new trainer you should not be using a bodypart split as you say most poeple do. Most peope do that because they grew up reading magazines.
You would think so, right. yea i wish that were the case but it isnt, probably a year ago i weighted in at about 120, now i am closer to 145 dry. My height may be closer to 5'6 also. I have been on average drinking alot of protein shakes also at least two on day i dont work out and up to four on days i do. I feel my recovery time is excellent also as i am never sore the day after and personally i like that feeling of being sore, it just lets me know i accomplished something. Which is why i always push myself to the limit. Actually got heat storke once because i wont quite even when i know i should. but that was during military training and nothing to do with weightlifting. I am looking into a routine but havent found one i personnally like yet. If anyone wants to share there routine and why they do it the way they do it i would appreciate it. i am already pretty damn cut, i am trying for strenght and size at the moment. i would venture to say i might be at 10%BF.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
What type of routine are you leaning towards. Maybe i can help you set something up.

whoareu

Awards
What type of routine are you leaning towards. Maybe i can help you set something up.
i love going to the gym and am actually training for a spec ops school so will need to incorporate some cardio into this routine. Yea your help would be appricated, for cardio i will be doing running and alot of swimming. as far as weights i have always kind of focused on arms and chest but am now beginning to work my shoulders and back alot also. trying to get that v shape, its coming around quite nicely i think.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
if you're going spec ops or trying to, i would shoot for whole body workouts 3x a week. big arms are cool (don't get me wrong), but nothing says special ops like picking up a running 3 year old without breaking stride, planting your feet, or anything else. when i say total body, i mean exactly that. a sample would be:

M - squat (ass to ground) / bench / deadlift / pull up / floor wiper / clean and press (5x10)

W - lunges / push ups / floor wipers / DB curl to arnold press / deadlift with hex bar (6x10)

F - DB bench / sumo deadlift / chin ups / dips / floor wipers / the sled (5x10)

special ops isn't about how much you can curl (isolated movements don't mean jack in a military setting where you're not working with handles on everything you pick up, or might have to press it over your head after curling it), its about getting something from point A to point B as fast as possible. its great being able to preacher curl 100 lbs, its even cooler (and useful) to be the guy pushing the broken hummer down the street. thats my 2 cents.

also, this workout will put size on you, by nature of incorporating the basic powerlifting movements (bench, squat, deadlifts, clean and press) while also adding arm size (dips and chins). routine is altered a bit every other day to make sure you are always doing similar movements, but ensuring its a little bit different to stimulate maximal growth.

lastly, take this routine to your instructor, or someone in the class (or ask one of them to put a routine together for you), i guarantee they will tell you its similar to what you will be doing in training - and its great to be the guy in class setting the standard for everyone else.

i signed up for police academy, and did 71 push ups in 60 seconds (all counted so my form was good, and did a drug test, so i wasn't on gear or PH's), and setting the standard for everyone else makes your life much easier in academy.