correct me if Im wrong ..please

TheNEwBreed

TheNEwBreed

Awards
so today i did chest and i not its not much of a bulking weight i got to 165 and could barely do it 4 times myself but i could do 155 about 6 times myself and 2 assisted ...so what im hoping you all can assist me with is....should i just stay at 155 and bulk slow or is that really the only way thank you

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you are best off working with a range of weights over a range of time. so do chest workouts with the 165 and 4-6 reps for 3-4 weeks, then do it with 145-150 for 8-10 reps for 3-4 weeks, then whatever you need to do 13-17 reps for 3-4 weeks, then go back to the heavy weight and probably be at 175 for the 4-6

TheNEwBreed

TheNEwBreed

Awards
also what r some good bulking excercises as well

swoosh

swoosh

Awards
Generally bulking rep ranges are 10-12 reps and strength training rep range is 4-6-8.

Good bulking exercises are core exercises... deadlights and squats. Add in some incline press and you should be good to go.

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
so today i did chest and i not its not much of a bulking weight i got to 165 and could barely do it 4 times myself but i could do 155 about 6 times myself and 2 assisted ...so what im hoping you all can assist me with is....should i just stay at 155 and bulk slow or is that really the only way thank you
6 and 2 assisted of 155 is good enough to go to 160 but not 165 in my opinion.

small increments in weight in the way to go.

presuming your form is good and you're not cheating with huge back arches or not taking the bar down far enough.

all the best and welcome to AM

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
Generally bulking rep ranges are 10-12 reps
all due respect but 10 - 12 is too many reps for bulking.

17 years ago i was 167lb's when i started lifting weights, i'm now about 242 - 245lb without gear, the heaviest i got was close to 260lb's without gear, i very rarely did 12 rep sets.

swoosh

swoosh

Awards
Not trying to get into an arguement on here but then why did you tell him to do 13-17 reps?

Also I just said generally people say 10-12 reps are for bulking. I do low reps 90% of the time, and thats how I've always trained.

TheNEwBreed

TheNEwBreed

Awards
well thanks alot guys this was probably the most proftable post i have gotten repsonses from...the best of luck to you all with everything and train hard

timmmah

timmmah

Awards
  • Established
all due respect but 10 - 12 is too many reps for bulking.

17 years ago i was 167lb's when i started lifting weights, i'm now about 242 - 245lb without gear, the heaviest i got was close to 260lb's without gear, i very rarely did 12 rep sets.
Agreed, that's too many reps for bulking. More weight sets of 4-8 and lots more sets.

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
Not trying to get into an arguement on here but then why did you tell him to do 13-17 reps?
where did i say that? i never mentioned any rep range to him only weight and i too would not like to argue either lol

EasyEJL was talking about 13-17 which i didn't see until now, which i wouldn't recommend either

at the end of the day, they are only our respective opinions and should not be taken as gospel.

cheers swoosh

swoosh

swoosh

Awards
Oh haha, thought you posted that above, but It was EasyEJL. My bad.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah, an I mostly suggest it as changing up rep ranges - not sticking with one range all the time, rotating thru them all. it helps recruit different muscle fibers, and over time helps avoid plateuas.