Squats with DC

jdev

Awards
  • Established
Basically, I can't do widowmakers of squats. I don't have a problem w/ other quad exercises.
I think this is partly because Ive been doing alot of biking cardio.

Ive been substituting in something similar to what I did on Rippetoe. Today i did 3x5.

My question really is, is this okay? Will I see as good gains?

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
What do you mean you "can't" do them? What specifically is the problem?

jdev

Awards
  • Established
well i always fail (either lean forward way too much or cant get the weight up) if i use any kind of decent weight. I also cant move up 5 or 10 lbs per workout doing widowmakers on squats as i should be able to.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
well i always fail (either lean forward way too much or cant get the weight up) if i use any kind of decent weight. I also cant move up 5 or 10 lbs per workout doing widowmakers on squats as i should be able to.
So why not use a weight you can get 20 reps with?

Do you allow ur self a couple breathes in the middle of ur widow maker? For example... You hit 10-12, stand there take a few breaths, do 2-3 more, take a few breaths, 2-3 more, etc till you hit your 20?

Sprawl

Sprawl

Awards
2 options:

1- lighter weight on the squat widowmaker
2- use a different move for that widowmaker i.e. leg press or hack squat.

Do NOT do 3x5.

jdev

Awards
  • Established
What is so wrong with 3x5? I saw pretty good gains on it when I was doing rippetoe.
btw not trying to be an ass, just wondering if you have some evidence of how bad 3x5 is.
I have to go down to 195 to get a 20 rep widowmaker (40 lbs less than 3x5), and I probably cant go up 5lbs every 2 weeks this way.

I don't know, i guess its kind of depressing to have to drop 40 lbs even though its a better workout.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
There's nothing wrong with 3x5, but if your trying to do the DC workout which calls for the widowmaker; you really can not substitute 3x5 for that!

What is wrong with dropping down xxlbs to get the 20? If you read cycle for pennies or any variation of that, or just go to DC's EDIT:website, you'll see that he says that your GOING TO HAVE to lower the weight to be able to get the 20reps.

Believe me, you'll gain it back your strength plus MORE by the time you get back to your original weight even if its just close to it.

jdev

Awards
  • Established
Alright guys thanks for your advice. Ill drop it down 40 or 45 then and try to go up 5lbs every 2 weeks.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Alright guys thanks for your advice. Ill drop it down 40 or 45 then and try to go up 5lbs every 2 weeks.
Just focus on constant progression, and don't over analyze.. It doesn't have to be 5lbs every week or two.. Think about that.. If you did that every week for 52 weeks out of the year your squat would be 260lbs heavier in a year.. That is not feasible. considering your squatting 200 now for 20, youd have a 460lb widow maker..lol

Mix it up a bit if ya have to, whatver it takes for you to progress.. If you have to start with a weight you can do 25 on, and constenly add 5lbs a week till you get down to 15 so be it..

Or vice versa, start at 15, and keep the weight the same, but always try and progress a rep till you get to 20-25, then add a good chunk to bring you back to 15, repeat.

Hope that helps a bit,

jdev

Awards
  • Established
Okay. Yeah i haven't been going too much over 20 ever, so ill try to increase by 5 reps when i keep the same weight and when i go up in weight not be discouraged when i can only do 15.

Thanks for all your help. Id like to give you some reps, but it says i have to spread some reputation around first

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Okay. Yeah i haven't been going too much over 20 ever, so ill try to increase by 5 reps when i keep the same weight and when i go up in weight not be discouraged when i can only do 15.

Thanks for all your help. Id like to give you some reps, but it says i have to spread some reputation around first
No worries man..

Keep in mind too that you don't have to go straight to 20.. Like i said above, i usually get to about 10-12 and my legs are about dead..

I take 2-3 breaths do a couple more reps, few breaths, then 1-2 more reps. by 16-17 i feel like i am going to pass out, and the last 3-4 are usually out of sheer intensity.. I just never let myself get less then 20, no matter what. If it takes me standing there with the weight on my shoulder for 10 sec to get 1 more rep, then so be it.

Sprawl

Sprawl

Awards

Yes. Progress does not necessarily mean more weight, but also more reps. I know it sounds negligible, but also utilize those 2.5s in your gym.

BTW there is nothing wrong with 3x5. It's just not what DC calls for. And I wouldn't start tweaking programs, especially DC, until you've mastered them.