Squat rack & bench

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
For those of you that use equipment at home, I would like your opinion on a good squat/bench combo. This will be going in my basement, so the max height is ~6ft, so no full size power rack/cage. Also, I would like to keep the rack/bench under $400.

It would be nice to have something that can do incline, decline, flat, AND upright (shoulder press), as well as something to hold the bar for squats (don't need safety catches, but a plus if available).

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

I'm thinking something like this...

Olympic Squat Combo Bench FREE SHIPPING

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
Well... I just put in an order for the Gold's Gym XRS20 Bench

Picked it up at Wal-Mart online for $144. It will be just right. It has a max weight of 610lbs (including me, which I'm ~215 now). So, that will enable be to at least bench 395lbs... MUCH more than I ever plan to, especially without a spotter. The bench is removable, so I can use the rack for squats and the bench for DB work (like DB rows).

I think it will work well. Plus, it is going to be shipped for FREE to my local Wal-Mart for me to pick up.

keyrock24

keyrock24

Awards
I bought the Gold's Gym XRS20 Bench back in December .I love it .I like the safety catches on it especially when I am trying for a new 1RM or may not be quite up to lifting 90% .I relocated the weight plate attachments to the front side so I can do pin pull deadlifts .It is exactly the correct height for my height . I improvised the Scott curl bench attachment so I could do reverse hyper extensions .I don't use it this way but tried using the curl bar attachment lying down so I could do tricep extensions .I may use it later like that if I decide to change my current routine up .Instead of lifting the bar off the ground to do barbell curls .I lift off the safety catches after adjusting them correctly .I use the squat/benchpress rack for the same reason so I can do military presses and barbell tricep extensions either sitting or standing .The safety catches have saved me numerous times from getting an injury when I could not get the bar back up on my bench and squats .I hope you like yours as well as I like mine .It is not too hard to assemble .You can assemble it yourself without any help .All the parts fit together with no problems .

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the info!

I'm looking forward to getting it. My home gym will be dang near complete. I also have a roman chair coming and a NordicTrack treadmill. The treadmill will be mostly for my wife, but it's a nice addition if I just want to burn some quick calories.

Hey, does your xrs20 bench sit all the way up like for shoulder presses? It didn't mention it in the info. It just flat, incline, and decline. I'm hoping it will sit at least close to 90 deg. for seated shoulder work... I don't have ceiling height for standing presses.

I bought the Gold's Gym XRS20 Bench back in December .I love it .I like the safety catches on it especially when I am trying for a new 1RM or may not be quite up to lifting 90% .I relocated the weight plate attachments to the front side so I can do pin pull deadlifts .It is exactly the correct height for my height . I improvised the Scott curl bench attachment so I could do reverse hyper extensions .I don't use it this way but tried using the curl bar attachment lying down so I could do tricep extensions .I may use it later like that if I decide to change my current routine up .Instead of lifting the bar off the ground to do barbell curls .I lift off the safety catches after adjusting them correctly .I use the squat/benchpress rack for the same reason so I can do military presses and barbell tricep extensions either sitting or standing .The safety catches have saved me numerous times from getting an injury when I could not get the bar back up on my bench and squats .I hope you like yours as well as I like mine .It is not too hard to assemble .You can assemble it yourself without any help .All the parts fit together with no problems .

keyrock24

keyrock24

Awards
I guess I may have been using it wrong but I have been just moving the bench forward and sitting on the edge of the rear part of the bench facing the rack .You will have to adjust it for your height naturally but I put the pins in the 4th hole .Out of curiosity after reading your question about whether or not it would work at 90 a degree incline or close to it .I tried it that way.The bench will not come up more than about 80 degrees .I checked it with a protractor/angle finder that I used to use at work before I retired .

Thanks for asking the question .I don,t know why I never thought about using like that before .I just slid the bench all the way back until the bottom support for the bench and squat rack were touching to try a military press .I had to lift it from behind but some people alternate pressing from front to rear .I tried doing barbell tricep extensions with the bench in the same position .I could not quite come down far enough in the rear .It was like I had safety catchs in the rear every time I came down with it .I tried sliding the bench just a small amount forward and it worked pretty good like that .I never tried lowering the rack another hole .Never thought of it .Going to try that next :)