Need Huge Traps!!!

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.64%

Need Huge Traps!!!

hey guys, i need some help with my trap devolpment everything else on my upper body is big except my traps, they need to get bigger, what workouts or lifts help with getting bigger traps

2. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.84%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

Deadlifts.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  3. Bananas
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.58%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by cantstop19 View Post
    hey guys, i need some help with my trap devolpment everything else on my upper body is big except my traps, they need to get bigger, what workouts or lifts help with getting bigger traps
    I like narrow grip upright rows (moderate weight), db shruggs (high rep w/straps) and heavy low rep (rack) shruggs w/ straps.
    The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.-Psalm 18:2
    •   

4. Bananas
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.58%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Deadlifts.
    ???
    The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.-Psalm 18:2
  5. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.49%

Without a doubt heavy shrugs get it done. I like to alternate between DB Shrugs w/ straps and Smith Machine/Rack BB Shrugs w/ straps. I always went very heavy and my traps grew like weeds.

Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary

6. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.64%

im familiar with all the others but rack shrugs what are those?
  7. Bananas
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.58%

im familiar with all the others but rack shrugs what are those?
    Shruggs done in a walk in rack
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.64%

oh alright gotcha, really the only trap excercise i did was snatch grip shrugs, but i needed more to add to my routine, thanks for all the great info guys appreciate it
  9. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.49%

oh alright gotcha, really the only trap excercise i did was snatch grip shrugs, but i needed more to add to my routine, thanks for all the great info guys appreciate it

You can also do them on the smith machine. Go kick them traps azz!

Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary

10. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.12%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I had great results with attatching a rope to a low row, then pulling it toward my face.

Adams
    The Historic PES Legend
  11. LMR
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.68%

This has always been my subject because I have huge traps. I have had guys competeing getting pro cards ask me how the hell i get my traps looking like they do. I love em I have the work out for them perfect.

For the longest time I did the heaviest shrugs I could do thinking that would make them big. I found out through other bodybuilders that it's not the wieght its the technique. I use very light weight and burn my traps out. I make sure I touch my shoulders to my ears technique. Reps up to 20 if not more. I go heavy but I make sure I do no lose the form and dont shrug throwing my back around. Man I get the most incredible pump in my traps.

Dont do heavy that you cant do it right. It's one of the hardest muscle to isolate correctly. Watch your form use lighter weight and bam they'll come out. Burn em out with perfect form. Save the heavy lifting for the big muscles.
  12. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.78%

rack deadlifts
  13. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.37%

Deadlifts and upright rows; but with proper technique like LMR said.
  14. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.84%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by TripDog View Post
    ???
    Deadlifts are amongst the best lifts for building more strength and size in the trapezius. That and cleans are the only things I do for traps.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  15. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.2%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by LMR View Post
    This has always been my subject because I have huge traps. I have had guys competeing getting pro cards ask me how the hell i get my traps looking like they do. I love em I have the work out for them perfect.

For the longest time I did the heaviest shrugs I could do thinking that would make them big. I found out through other bodybuilders that it's not the wieght its the technique. I use very light weight and burn my traps out. I make sure I touch my shoulders to my ears technique. Reps up to 20 if not more. I go heavy but I make sure I do no lose the form and dont shrug throwing my back around. Man I get the most incredible pump in my traps.

Dont do heavy that you cant do it right. It's one of the hardest muscle to isolate correctly. Watch your form use lighter weight and bam they'll come out. Burn em out with perfect form. Save the heavy lifting for the big muscles.
    How many sets do you do? And how many times a week do you work out your traps?
  16. LMR
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.68%

Wow! first I have to say Im mighty impressed with your avatar...

I train maybe 3-4 sets once or twice a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeymutz View Post
    How many sets do you do? And how many times a week do you work out your traps?
  17. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.44%

Deadlifts are amongst the best lifts for building more strength and size in the trapezius. That and cleans are the only things I do for traps.

i agree. A good variation for for upper back/traps is to do high rep rack deads with a high pin, around mid thigh. You are going to need some heavy weights and you should do them for high reps. Your traps will be sore a third of the way down your back the next day.
  18. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.84%

Quote Originally Posted by jcp2 View Post
    i agree. A good variation for for upper back/traps is to do high rep rack deads with a high pin, around mid thigh. You are going to need some heavy weights and you should do them for high reps. Your traps will be sore a third of the way down your back the next day.
    The best, or worst depending on your perspective, soreness I have ever gotten in my traps was from doing 5x5 on deads and cleans. Brutal and awesome for both strength and size.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  251 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.91%
    Achievements Posting Pro

grab two heavy ass bumbells, then shrug and say "I DONO", then repeat about 40 times.. works for me

then flip them around like ur holding a bar behind ur butt, then continue..... dont forget to say "I DONO" cuz if u dont, it doesent work
  20. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.55%

+1 find me a guy who can dead hang power clean big weights and I will show you a guy with huge, well-developed lats.

Deads and power cleans are the only 2 movements I do for my lats and they are one of my best devloped muscle groups.

Esp heavy power cleans in the 5-7 rep range, they make the lats grow like crazy.
  21. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.2%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Wow! first I have to say Im mighty impressed with your avatar...

I train maybe 3-4 sets once or twice a week.
    That what i usually do but I'm going to do what you said and do higher reps. My traps are decent but I don't mind getting them bigger. I've seen your traps and what you do must work.
  22. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26%

grab two heavy ass bumbells, then shrug and say "I DONO", then repeat about 40 times.. works for me

then flip them around like ur holding a bar behind ur butt, then continue..... dont forget to say "I DONO" cuz if u dont, it doesent work
    HAHA!

You can also try BEATSMEE, just to shock em every now and then...
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.4%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    +1 find me a guy who can dead hang power clean big weights and I will show you a guy with huge, well-developed lats.

Deads and power cleans are the only 2 movements I do for my lats and they are one of my best devloped muscle groups.

Esp heavy power cleans in the 5-7 rep range, they make the lats grow like crazy.
    He sez "traps", you say "lats" - ???
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.4%

For the longest time I did the heaviest shrugs I could do thinking that would make them big. I found out through other bodybuilders that it's not the wieght its the technique.
    Your approach to traps seems strangely similar to my approach to calves - your results sound similar, too.
  25. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.55%

Quote Originally Posted by BodyWizard View Post
    He sez "traps", you say "lats" - ???
    oops meant traps, but they do grow lats and the whole back for that matter well
  26. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  182 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.92%

Traps are like calves...you're either born with a good sized set and the potential for easy growth or not!
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  251 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.91%
    Achievements Posting Pro

if u guys know what t-nation is, you should look up the fatman calves article.... i didnt read, but its there...
  28. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  178 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.42%

No one has mentioned Kelso Shrugs?
  29. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.12%

Quote Originally Posted by MoTiV View Post
    You mean shrugin the chief of medicine on scrubs??

Adams
    The Historic PES Legend
  30. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.44%

They seem to work more for my back. Good exercise for bench stability, never got the most out of them as i would have to roll all the 100's over to the Chest supported row to put enough weight on the machine. You need a ton of weight comparatively to your other lifts.
  31. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.95%

I agree with the deads/ rack deads..

His traps look like they are going to explode..lol Especially on that last set.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j1-Jv2_HCI"]YouTube - Johnnie Jackson Deadlift[/ame]
  32. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  178 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.42%

Quote Originally Posted by jcp2 View Post
    They seem to work more for my back. Good exercise for bench stability, never got the most out of them as i would have to roll all the 100's over to the Chest supported row to put enough weight on the machine. You need a ton of weight comparatively to your other lifts.
    I have found the most effective way to do them is to superset them after standing barbell rows. This way I don't have to work with an enormous amount of weight which could stress my lower back. I think this is the way Mark Kelso suggests in his book.
  33. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.44%

I have found the most effective way to do them is to superset them after standing barbell rows. This way I don't have to work with an enormous amount of weight which could stress my lower back. I think this is the way Mark Kelso suggests in his book.

I dont do standing barbell rows but do you do them free weight? Or do you use the chest supported row.
  34. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  178 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.42%

I do free weight, but if you don't do free weight you could still superset the kelso shrugs the same way on a chest supported row. This is what I'm doing today because my lower back is still sore from deadlifts. Just remember to squeeze and hold at the top of the movement. The first time I did these the next day I felt muscles in my back I never knew I had.
  35. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.62%

I do a variety of exercises but without a doubt shrugs are one of the best. Where most go wrong though is by loading the bar with ridiculous amounts of weight and then using their whole body to get the shrug. This is meathead mentality that will get you nowhere quick. Only use a weight that you can get a full rep and squeeze at the top without body movement.
  36. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  189 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.49%

Bar shrugs and deads. You can try some behind the head lat pulldowns too. hell, lateral raises help too.
  37. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.37%

snatch grip deads on a box
  38. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  88 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.66%

Are shrugs holding plates instead of dumbells okay? My hips always seem to get in the way when I do shrugs though

Also, I'm curious as to what kind of functional improvement your trapezius gives in terms of sport and stuff? OR does it is it just cool.
  39. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.6%

I get great gains by super setting traps and trying my hardest to use the FULL range of motion. In thirty days of working my traps again (after taking a long time off to reattach my bicep) my traps are coming on quickly...but I have to use straps after a couple of sets so that I burn out my traps before my hands lose grip.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Huge traps, small shoulders
    By ManicPete in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-27-2010, 05:29 AM
  2. who wants huge traps?
    By Ricky5145 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 02-11-2010, 09:59 PM
  3. Replies: 77
    Last Post: 01-22-2009, 10:48 PM
  4. Huge Traps!!!