Need Huge Traps!!!

  1. Need Huge Traps!!!


    hey guys, i need some help with my trap devolpment everything else on my upper body is big except my traps, they need to get bigger, what workouts or lifts help with getting bigger traps


  2. Deadlifts.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  3. Quote Originally Posted by cantstop19 View Post
    hey guys, i need some help with my trap devolpment everything else on my upper body is big except my traps, they need to get bigger, what workouts or lifts help with getting bigger traps
    I like narrow grip upright rows (moderate weight), db shruggs (high rep w/straps) and heavy low rep (rack) shruggs w/ straps.
    The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.-Psalm 18:2
    •   
       


  4. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Deadlifts.
    ???
    The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.-Psalm 18:2

  5. Without a doubt heavy shrugs get it done. I like to alternate between DB Shrugs w/ straps and Smith Machine/Rack BB Shrugs w/ straps. I always went very heavy and my traps grew like weeds.

    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary


  6. im familiar with all the others but rack shrugs what are those?

  7. Quote Originally Posted by cantstop19 View Post
    im familiar with all the others but rack shrugs what are those?
    Shruggs done in a walk in rack
    The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.-Psalm 18:2

  8. oh alright gotcha, really the only trap excercise i did was snatch grip shrugs, but i needed more to add to my routine, thanks for all the great info guys appreciate it

  9. Quote Originally Posted by cantstop19 View Post
    oh alright gotcha, really the only trap excercise i did was snatch grip shrugs, but i needed more to add to my routine, thanks for all the great info guys appreciate it

    You can also do them on the smith machine. Go kick them traps azz!

    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary


  10. I had great results with attatching a rope to a low row, then pulling it toward my face.

    Adams
    The Historic PES Legend

  11. This has always been my subject because I have huge traps. I have had guys competeing getting pro cards ask me how the hell i get my traps looking like they do. I love em I have the work out for them perfect.

    For the longest time I did the heaviest shrugs I could do thinking that would make them big. I found out through other bodybuilders that it's not the wieght its the technique. I use very light weight and burn my traps out. I make sure I touch my shoulders to my ears technique. Reps up to 20 if not more. I go heavy but I make sure I do no lose the form and dont shrug throwing my back around. Man I get the most incredible pump in my traps.

    Dont do heavy that you cant do it right. It's one of the hardest muscle to isolate correctly. Watch your form use lighter weight and bam they'll come out. Burn em out with perfect form. Save the heavy lifting for the big muscles.

  12. rack deadlifts

  13. Deadlifts and upright rows; but with proper technique like LMR said.

  14. Quote Originally Posted by TripDog View Post
    ???
    Deadlifts are amongst the best lifts for building more strength and size in the trapezius. That and cleans are the only things I do for traps.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  15. Quote Originally Posted by LMR View Post
    This has always been my subject because I have huge traps. I have had guys competeing getting pro cards ask me how the hell i get my traps looking like they do. I love em I have the work out for them perfect.

    For the longest time I did the heaviest shrugs I could do thinking that would make them big. I found out through other bodybuilders that it's not the wieght its the technique. I use very light weight and burn my traps out. I make sure I touch my shoulders to my ears technique. Reps up to 20 if not more. I go heavy but I make sure I do no lose the form and dont shrug throwing my back around. Man I get the most incredible pump in my traps.

    Dont do heavy that you cant do it right. It's one of the hardest muscle to isolate correctly. Watch your form use lighter weight and bam they'll come out. Burn em out with perfect form. Save the heavy lifting for the big muscles.
    How many sets do you do? And how many times a week do you work out your traps?

  16. Wow! first I have to say Im mighty impressed with your avatar...

    I train maybe 3-4 sets once or twice a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeymutz View Post
    How many sets do you do? And how many times a week do you work out your traps?

  17. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Deadlifts are amongst the best lifts for building more strength and size in the trapezius. That and cleans are the only things I do for traps.

    i agree. A good variation for for upper back/traps is to do high rep rack deads with a high pin, around mid thigh. You are going to need some heavy weights and you should do them for high reps. Your traps will be sore a third of the way down your back the next day.

  18. Quote Originally Posted by jcp2 View Post
    i agree. A good variation for for upper back/traps is to do high rep rack deads with a high pin, around mid thigh. You are going to need some heavy weights and you should do them for high reps. Your traps will be sore a third of the way down your back the next day.
    The best, or worst depending on your perspective, soreness I have ever gotten in my traps was from doing 5x5 on deads and cleans. Brutal and awesome for both strength and size.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  19. grab two heavy ass bumbells, then shrug and say "I DONO", then repeat about 40 times.. works for me

    then flip them around like ur holding a bar behind ur butt, then continue..... dont forget to say "I DONO" cuz if u dont, it doesent work

  20. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Deadlifts are amongst the best lifts for building more strength and size in the trapezius. That and cleans are the only things I do for traps.
    +1 find me a guy who can dead hang power clean big weights and I will show you a guy with huge, well-developed lats.

    Deads and power cleans are the only 2 movements I do for my lats and they are one of my best devloped muscle groups.

    Esp heavy power cleans in the 5-7 rep range, they make the lats grow like crazy.

  21. Quote Originally Posted by LMR View Post
    Wow! first I have to say Im mighty impressed with your avatar...

    I train maybe 3-4 sets once or twice a week.
    That what i usually do but I'm going to do what you said and do higher reps. My traps are decent but I don't mind getting them bigger. I've seen your traps and what you do must work.

  22. grab two heavy ass bumbells, then shrug and say "I DONO", then repeat about 40 times.. works for me

    then flip them around like ur holding a bar behind ur butt, then continue..... dont forget to say "I DONO" cuz if u dont, it doesent work
    HAHA!

    You can also try BEATSMEE, just to shock em every now and then...

  23. Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    +1 find me a guy who can dead hang power clean big weights and I will show you a guy with huge, well-developed lats.

    Deads and power cleans are the only 2 movements I do for my lats and they are one of my best devloped muscle groups.

    Esp heavy power cleans in the 5-7 rep range, they make the lats grow like crazy.
    He sez "traps", you say "lats" - ???

  24. Quote Originally Posted by LMR View Post
    This has always been my subject because I have huge traps. I have had guys competeing getting pro cards ask me how the hell i get my traps looking like they do. I love em I have the work out for them perfect.

    For the longest time I did the heaviest shrugs I could do thinking that would make them big. I found out through other bodybuilders that it's not the wieght its the technique.
    Your approach to traps seems strangely similar to my approach to calves - your results sound similar, too.

  25. Quote Originally Posted by BodyWizard View Post
    He sez "traps", you say "lats" - ???
    oops meant traps, but they do grow lats and the whole back for that matter well

  26. Traps are like calves...you're either born with a good sized set and the potential for easy growth or not!

  27. if u guys know what t-nation is, you should look up the fatman calves article.... i didnt read, but its there...

  28. No one has mentioned Kelso Shrugs?

  29. Quote Originally Posted by MoTiV View Post
    No one has mentioned Kelso Shrugs?
    You mean shrugin the chief of medicine on scrubs??

    Adams
    The Historic PES Legend

  30. Quote Originally Posted by MoTiV View Post
    No one has mentioned Kelso Shrugs?

    They seem to work more for my back. Good exercise for bench stability, never got the most out of them as i would have to roll all the 100's over to the Chest supported row to put enough weight on the machine. You need a ton of weight comparatively to your other lifts.

  31. I agree with the deads/ rack deads..

    His traps look like they are going to explode..lol Especially on that last set.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j1-Jv2_HCI"]YouTube - Johnnie Jackson Deadlift[/ame]

  32. Quote Originally Posted by jcp2 View Post
    They seem to work more for my back. Good exercise for bench stability, never got the most out of them as i would have to roll all the 100's over to the Chest supported row to put enough weight on the machine. You need a ton of weight comparatively to your other lifts.
    I have found the most effective way to do them is to superset them after standing barbell rows. This way I don't have to work with an enormous amount of weight which could stress my lower back. I think this is the way Mark Kelso suggests in his book.

  33. Quote Originally Posted by MoTiV View Post
    I have found the most effective way to do them is to superset them after standing barbell rows. This way I don't have to work with an enormous amount of weight which could stress my lower back. I think this is the way Mark Kelso suggests in his book.

    I dont do standing barbell rows but do you do them free weight? Or do you use the chest supported row.

  34. I do free weight, but if you don't do free weight you could still superset the kelso shrugs the same way on a chest supported row. This is what I'm doing today because my lower back is still sore from deadlifts. Just remember to squeeze and hold at the top of the movement. The first time I did these the next day I felt muscles in my back I never knew I had.

  35. I do a variety of exercises but without a doubt shrugs are one of the best. Where most go wrong though is by loading the bar with ridiculous amounts of weight and then using their whole body to get the shrug. This is meathead mentality that will get you nowhere quick. Only use a weight that you can get a full rep and squeeze at the top without body movement.

  36. Bar shrugs and deads. You can try some behind the head lat pulldowns too. hell, lateral raises help too.

  37. snatch grip deads on a box

  38. Are shrugs holding plates instead of dumbells okay? My hips always seem to get in the way when I do shrugs though

    Also, I'm curious as to what kind of functional improvement your trapezius gives in terms of sport and stuff? OR does it is it just cool.

  39. Quote Originally Posted by LMR View Post
    This has always been my subject because I have huge traps. I have had guys competeing getting pro cards ask me how the hell i get my traps looking like they do. I love em I have the work out for them perfect.

    For the longest time I did the heaviest shrugs I could do thinking that would make them big. I found out through other bodybuilders that it's not the wieght its the technique. I use very light weight and burn my traps out. I make sure I touch my shoulders to my ears technique. Reps up to 20 if not more. I go heavy but I make sure I do no lose the form and dont shrug throwing my back around. Man I get the most incredible pump in my traps.

    Dont do heavy that you cant do it right. It's one of the hardest muscle to isolate correctly. Watch your form use lighter weight and bam they'll come out. Burn em out with perfect form. Save the heavy lifting for the big muscles.
    I get great gains by super setting traps and trying my hardest to use the FULL range of motion. In thirty days of working my traps again (after taking a long time off to reattach my bicep) my traps are coming on quickly...but I have to use straps after a couple of sets so that I burn out my traps before my hands lose grip.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Huge traps, small shoulders
    By ManicPete in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-27-2010, 05:29 AM
  2. who wants huge traps?
    By Ricky5145 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 02-11-2010, 09:59 PM
  3. Replies: 77
    Last Post: 01-22-2009, 10:48 PM
  4. Huge Traps!!!
    By MEH89 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 05-20-2008, 09:20 PM
  5. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-12-2007, 11:28 AM
Log in
Log in