5 day split too much?

bull8t

Awards
Been lifting for ~5 years now and leaning towards doing a 5 day split...something like this:

Monday- Chest
Tuesday- Back/Bi's
Wed- Shoulders/Tri's
Thurs- Legs
Friday- Chest again

What do you guys think? Workouts would be appr 45 mins in the 12-15 rep range followed by 30 min cardio. Looking to cut from 205 to 195. Only supps are multi, protein, and fish oil. Opinions welcomed

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
think you should be fine. two days off should help get you the rest you need. i read an article recently (and i hope this applies to you) that branch warren did chest twice a week because it was at one time his weak point. if i was doing that program though, i would do chest monday and thursday - 3 and 4 days off respectively, vs the 5 and 2 that you've got going on. otherwise, don't see why not. though i am curious why if you're doing back/bi's pairing you wouldn't also do chest/tri's. just a thought. anyways, hope this helps.

bull8t

Awards
thanks for the reply....Im not fond of doing chest and tris together because once I get through with chest, I dont have anything left in the tank for tris since I hit them so hard doing chest...and I really like loading up the tris.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
i got the same problem. best of luck to you brotha. i do usually:

M-HIIT (300 workout)
T-CHEST/SHOULDERS
W-LEGS/BACK (that way i don't have to pick a deadlift day)
Th-ARMS
F-HIIT (300 workout again).

i should say if you're doing chest on two different days though, to focus one day on barbell, and one day on dumbell - that way you can do more workouts in a session (instead of picking one or the other), and you can still do a slightly different workout the next time you go in. that advice was per the article i mentioned in my last post, so hopefully it will help you.

jng

Awards
I also do a 5-2 split but mine is set up differently

Bicep lats
Tricep shoulders
rest
chest forearms
legs
back
rest

I find this routine to be best because it lets my arms get the rest they need and uses the legs as almost a rest day for the upper body :)