How much is to much??

How many sets should one do "total" working in the higher repp ranges (12-15)??

• Total voters
BlackSheep

BlackSheep

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hey guys, I've been having troble gauging were to end my sesions latetly. I've been BBing for 8 years, I've been doing it as a way of life for the last 2-3 years. I'm 27 now and I've been doing some type of BS weight lifting since 13-14 years old so I've tried it all pretty much. My question I guess, is how many sets should I do in a workout??
Right now I'm training in the higher repp range (12-15 reps) doing 3-4 moves for most body parts and 12-18 sets. Also I train 5 days a week with each body part having it's own day.
I don't often train in this repp rage but I've been lifting Heavy for the last 2 months so I wanted to give my joints a break and give my muscles some new pain!!! I just ended my chest session at 12 sets today and felt like I had alot more in the tank:sad:. I don't like feeling that way leaving the gym but I'm one of those stimulus addicts who'll stay there for an hour and a half and fcuking destroy myself before I'm allowed to leave.:frustrate
So if you have experience, please help me out with a vote or a word of advise................Thanks bros!!

Squires

Awards
Number of sets is directly related to level of intensity. The higher the intensity (higher % of max) the fewer sets needed. If you are recovering adequately from your currently workload your volume is ok.

To change things up and give your joints a rest, do a different split for a few weeks. Try training each body part twice a week with less volume per session for higher weekly volume. Maybe switch to three whole body days, or just a simple upper/lower split.

The real questions are; how long have you be on your current training plan, and are you still getting results?

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Good question man.I never count how many sets I do.I know that sometimes I feel like I may be doing too much,so I cut back.Then other times I feel like maybe I need more,so I do more. :think: I always change and think this is why I'm not as big as that guy!Then after a while of that,I say no,this is why!

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey bro! Subbed to the dubbed!! I didn't vote in your poll man, because I didn't see the range where I train or, think maybe you should try to train. I train somewhere in between a Branch Warren and a Dorian Yates. After a couple of warm-up sets, I'll go straight to my heavy weight and do only 2 work sets!! That's right ....2!! If you'll pour your heart and soul into those 2 sets, you won't need or desire any more!! For major bodyparts (legs, back, and chest) I'll use 5 different excercises for a total of only 10 work sets. But these are BRUTAL work sets!:aargh: For smaller body parts like delts, bi's and tri's I'll use 3 different excercises for a total of only 6 work sets. But my reps are usually only between 10 or 12. So with your higher reps for right now, you could use maybe 3 work sets of each excercise. But not 5 worksets for 4 or 5 excercises! I think you are using too much volume. I learned years ago, we can't train the way the pros train, because we're not on the gear that they're on! We can't recover like they do. You grow when you're resting!! Cut back and grow bro!:thumbsup: THE THUNDERGOD:hammer:

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I train in the 15 rep range and we do 5 exercises that are supersetted and do 4 sets.

BlackSheep

BlackSheep

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well Squiers thanks for the responce man. And I just started this regiment a week ago to take a break from the heavy lifting I've been doing for the last 10 weeks and I am seeing good results from this. I'm probably only working in the 75%1RM now as opposed to the 85-90%1RM I was doing before. After this I have a week of "active" rest planned.
I have been considering the Upper-lower split though working everything twice a week, mainly because I have never tried it but I think that might be suited better for the heavier faze of Periodization?

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I used to love doing full body wo's from time to time untill I did the upper lower split.Mon,Tues,Thur,Fri.I love it!I like basic heavy lifts only,and keeping the wo for each muscle short and sweet,yet intense.Cause it's now time for the next muscle,and it will be hit again this week!An example I would do for bi's would be chin ups one day,and bb curls the next,pull ups for back,then bb rows next.Dips for tris,then close grips.I think I'm growing just talking about it!

Full bodies 3 x's a week are nice too though.Exercises are Mon,Wed,Fri.I like inc bench,flat bench or dips,inc bench again to bring up upper chest(probably my favorite part).Deads,pull ups,bb rows.Close grip,dips,skull crushers.I just like that it's easier to get a real leg wo on lower day on the upper lower.

BlackSheep

BlackSheep

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hey bro! Subbed to the dubbed!! I didn't vote in your poll man, because I didn't see the range where I train or, think maybe you should try to train. I train somewhere in between a Branch Warren and a Dorian Yates. After a couple of warm-up sets, I'll go straight to my heavy weight and do only 2 work sets!! That's right ....2!! If you'll pour your heart and soul into those 2 sets, you won't need or desire any more!! For major bodyparts (legs, back, and chest) I'll use 5 different excercises for a total of only 10 work sets. But these are BRUTAL work sets!:aargh: For smaller body parts like delts, bi's and tri's I'll use 3 different excercises for a total of only 6 work sets. But my reps are usually only between 10 or 12. So with your higher reps for right now, you could use maybe 3 work sets of each excercise. But not 5 worksets for 4 or 5 excercises! I think you are using too much volume. I learned years ago, we can't train the way the pros train, because we're not on the gear that they're on! We can't recover like they do. You grow when you're resting!! Cut back and grow bro!:thumbsup: THE THUNDERGOD:hammer:
Well the man himself is up in hur!! Yea bro I used to follow some of Arnolds wo's! I remember there was one I used to do for arms that was five exercises for bi's and five for tri's with five sets each all in different rep ranges!!!! Sometimes I would have to call in sick for work cause I couldn't even pick up "Little BlackSheep" to take a piss the next day.
I guess I'll keep it at around 12 sets after my initial 2, 25-30rep pre exhaustion sets. I'll try the 9 sets Just for you BIG Bro!!, but I'm going to have to superset the whole wo when I do!!:woohoo: What I generally do during "normal" (nothing I like to do is normal...blah) wo's at a heavier weight is I'll either do 3 exercises for 4 sets each or I'll do 4 exercises for 3 sets each and stay in the 5-9 rep range. Why 5-9.........cause everyone else does the 6-10 :sick:
Thanks for stopping in Crader That's more of the volume I like to do!!!! Your one kickass chick:hammer:
O' and your a kick ass chick to pantera thanks for showin up guys. I love you all lol......:afro:

BlackSheep

BlackSheep

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I used to love doing full body wo's from time to time untill I did the upper lower split.Mon,Tues,Thur,Fri.I love it!I like basic heavy lifts only,and keeping the wo for each muscle short and sweet,yet intense.Cause it's now time for the next muscle,and it will be hit again this week!An example I would do for bi's would be chin ups one day,and bb curls the next,pull ups for back,then bb rows next.Dips for tris,then close grips.I think I'm growing just talking about it!

Full bodies 3 x's a week are nice too though.Exercises are Mon,Wed,Fri.I like inc bench,flat bench or dips,inc bench again to bring up upper chest(probably my favorite part).Deads,pull ups,bb rows.Close grip,dips,skull crushers.I just like that it's easier to get a real leg wo on lower day on the upper lower.
I'm seriously thinking of trying the upper-lower split bro cause I 'like the idea of hittin it twice a week instead of just the one wo per bp. I've always loved high volume wo's though GVT is one faves of my for sure 10 straight sets of heavy bench!!! Forget about it nothing makes me feel that good after wards except marathon sex.... Like I said I'm a stimulus adict man I go until I can't bench the fcuking bar for more than 2repps!!!:aargh:
But I will dedicate my next wo, (tomorrow's actually) to TG and do just 9 sets. I'll be doing legs and I'll superset the whole wo between squats, the leg press, and stiff leg deads!!!!
BRING IT!!!!!! And of course that doesn't include my 8 sets of calf work right?? Say no............

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
O' and your a kick ass chick to pantera thanks for showin up guys. I love you all lol......:afro:
I just wanted to add that i too have trouble picking up little blacksheep.So it's not just the sore arms guys!

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm seriously thinking of trying the upper-lower split bro cause I 'like the idea of hittin it twice a week instead of just the one wo per bp. I've always loved high volume wo's though GVT is one faves of my for sure 10 straight sets of heavy bench!!! Forget about it nothing makes me feel that good after wards except marathon sex.... Like I said I'm a stimulus adict man I go until I can't bench the fcuking bar for more than 2repps!!!:aargh:
But I will dedicate my next wo, (tomorrow's actually) to TG and do just 9 sets. I'll be doing legs and I'll superset the whole wo between squats, the leg press, and stiff leg deads!!!!
BRING IT!!!!!! And of course that doesn't include my 8 sets of calf work right?? Say no............
No way man!!!I personally hit calves other days of the week instead of leg day.

BlackSheep

BlackSheep

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Therapy.........................

I just wanted to add that i too have trouble picking up little blacksheep.So it's not just the sore arms guys!
LMFAO......I gotta lock my doors at night since I met this mofo lol......He's the aggressive type too......:jaw:
I can see myself at couples therapy with pantera now.......... Sceen 1:

Shrink: BlackSheep what happened to your face?

Me: I fell down the stairs again. I fall alot these days..:sad:

Shrink: pantera do you Know anything about this?

Pantera: Nope, maybe he should learn to clean the house and he wouldn't fall so much..............Lazy ass bitzh!!

Me: He's right it was my fault. I should have used the Scrubbing Bubbles...........I'm so scared.....

Shrink: Is this true BlackSheep? .........Are you a lazy ass bitzh?.............LMFAO

BlackSheep

BlackSheep

Banned
Awards
  • Established
No way man!!!I personally hit calves other days of the week instead of leg day.
If I do a nine set wo I'll be done in like 30mins? What the fvck will I do with the rest of my day? Smoke a bunch of junk and talk to you ?? I don't think so!!:toofunny:

Hey do you do cardio on leg day, maybe I'll throw that in there.....

BlackSheep

BlackSheep

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I do cardio on my leg day first to warm me up.
That's a good idea. I have been implementing pre-exhaustion sets for my warm-ups to keep me on the wimpy side of the db rack so to speak lol.....My joints need this lighter weight but I'm really havin a hard time keeping the volume down....That sounded funny!

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
LMFAO......I gotta lock my doors at night since I met this mofo lol......He's the aggressive type too......:jaw:
I can see myself at couples therapy with pantera now.......... Sceen 1:

Shrink: BlackSheep what happened to your face?

Me: I fell down the stairs again. I fall alot these days..:sad:

Shrink: pantera do you Know anything about this?

Pantera: Nope, maybe he should learn to clean the house and he wouldn't fall so much..............Lazy ass bitzh!!

Me: He's right it was my fault. I should have used the Scrubbing Bubbles...........I'm so scared.....

Shrink: Is this true BlackSheep? .........Are you a lazy ass bitzh?.............LMFAO
I started laughing very hard right there!It just kept going!

BlackSheep

BlackSheep

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I started laughing very hard right there!It just kept going!
Haha,....O'sht bro sometimes I even crack myself up lol....That was one of those times LMAO.
You don't train calfs on leg day WTF?? When do you train 'em?

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If I do a nine set wo I'll be done in like 30mins? What the fvck will I do with the rest of my day? Smoke a bunch of junk and talk to you ?? I don't think so!!:toofunny:

Hey do you do cardio on leg day, maybe I'll throw that in there.....
I have a hard time getting through leg day about 8 out of 10 times.I still strangely love it though. :think: I usually do front or back sq's,lunges or leg extensions,stiff leg deads and or leg curls.Now I will hit my abs afterwards since I'm cutting and just do as much cardio as I can at the end.It usually doesn't go past 5 minutes or too high of intensity.Sometimes once I start I feel much better and want to keep going.Most times I hate it!I like to hit my calves atleast twice a week and I can do it easier on other days instead of legs.Thats just me though.If I do hit 'em with legs,I do them first.My wo's can last a long time though sometimes when doing this.All's well time and pace wise,untill I start with the sq's!

BlackSheep

BlackSheep

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I hear ya bro, I can't take my pre-wo stuff on squat day cause it usually makes me feel like I need to puke after about 3 sets! Then I do some iso's like extensions or curls and then I go back and burn out on the leg press or the sled! FTW!!!!
How often are you doing your 5 mins of cardio Mr.T? I can't believe you only do 5mins what the fvck is that bro ....LMAO
I do 10mins minimum but I go with the "High-tech" bike so it's not to bad. I try to keep my target heart rate around 140.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I hear ya bro, I can't take my pre-wo stuff on squat day cause it usually makes me feel like I need to puke after about 3 sets! Then I do some iso's like extensions or curls and then I go back and burn out on the leg press or the sled! FTW!!!!
How often are you doing your 5 mins of cardio Mr.T? I can't believe you only do 5mins what the fvck is that bro ....LMAO
I do 10mins minimum but I go with the "High-tech" bike so it's not to bad. I try to keep my target heart rate around 140.
No thats just after legs Mr.T.I try for more but sometimes it's hell just getting 5 minutes!I do atleast 10 minutes 5 days a week after weights.I had it up to 12 at one point,but being late would cause me to do 10 or even less with higher intensity.I do the high intensity interval cardio.After a brief warm up it's 40 seconds all out,then 20 taking it easy.I think my heart rate will get up around 160 I believe.I'm going to try hard to be able and do 12 minutes from now on.I just reduced carbs a little and upped my ECA to 3 x's a day instead of 2.Changes have been slowing it seems like.

BlackSheep

BlackSheep

Banned
Awards
  • Established
No thats just after legs Mr.T.I try for more but sometimes it's hell just getting 5 minutes!I do atleast 10 minutes 5 days a week after weights.I had it up to 12 at one point,but being late would cause me to do 10 or even less with higher intensity.I do the high intensity interval cardio.After a brief warm up it's 40 seconds all out,then 20 taking it easy.I think my heart rate will get up around 160 I believe.I'm going to try hard to be able and do 12 minutes from now on.I just reduced carbs a little and upped my ECA to 3 x's a day instead of 2.Changes have been slowing it seems like.
Cool, like I was telling bass. DO NOT drop your carbs to low while your cutting especially taking all those stims or the muscle will fall of you!! Try eating clean carbs like oats, grains, or pasta before you workout and focus more on your pre and post wo meals. This will help give your body sustained energy levels throughout the day and a good post wo meal is a great time to eat your not so clean carbs fruits, juices, honey ext...

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Cool, like I was telling bass. DO NOT drop your carbs to low while your cutting especially taking all those stims or the muscle will fall of you!! Try eating clean carbs like oats, grains, or pasta before you workout and focus more on your pre and post wo meals. This will help give your body sustained energy levels throughout the day and a good post wo meal is a great time to eat your not so clean carbs fruits, juices, honey ext...
Yeah I told bass the same thing.He was wanting to do that no carb diet.I know from experience what that'll do!I was staying at 170.I hadn't checked in a while,but this morning was 169.8.So the changes might of started again.At first the weight would get slightly lower every single day.As you get smaller your cal needs to do.I'm very happy with this cut so far.

BlackSheep

BlackSheep

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Good, I'm glad to see it's panning out for you brother! It's just like any other thing in bbing it takes a few times to get it down and find what works for you but after that your golden!! If there's one thing I know how to do it's cut!! I wish I could bulk as easy but every time I do it, it gets easier.

ThisGuy2

ThisGuy2

Awards
  • Established
Wow...that last answer is popular! (EDIT: just realized why that answer was so popular...mine was the only one! "Duh...where did he go George?")

IMHO, it varies from person to person depending on th countless variables that one could take into consideration (training experience, style of training being used, size, etc.) I personally change it from workout to workout, using higher rep/lower weight, higher weight lower/rep, more set (up to 4 or 5), less sets (as few as 2), giving more rest between sets (as much as 90sec.), less rest (as little as 30sec.), and employing various intensity builders, like rest pause, supers, tri-sets, partials, and pre-exhaust.

The short answer is that I'll usually be either in the 9-12 set range, or the 12-15, depending on the size of the body part (chest vs. bi, for ex.) and the way I'm hitting them that day. On higher reps, I tend to like more sets too.

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wow...that last answer is popular!

IMHO, it varies from person to person depending on th countless variables that one could take into consideration (training experience, style of training being used, size, etc.) I personally change it from workout to workout, using higher rep/lower weight, higher weight lower/rep, more set (up to 4 or 5), less sets (as few as 2), giving more rest between sets (as much as 90sec.), less rest (as little as 30sec.), and employing various intensity builders, like rest pause, supers, tri-sets, partials, and pre-exhaust.

The short answer is that I'll usually be either in the 9-12 set range, or the 12-15, depending on the size of the body part (chest vs. bi, for ex.) and the way I'm hitting them that day. On higher reps, I tend to like more sets too.
:goodpost:This is real good sh*t right here!! Variety is not only the spice of life, it is the spice of bodybuilding! We can't allow ourselves to get stagnated in our training. I'm constantly changing up grips, angles, and excercises almost from one workout to the next! It helps to keep the anticipation high for the next workout. Because it won't be the "same old...same old", it'll be new and thrilling!!:woohoo:"Bodybuilding: It's not just a routine, it's an adventure!" THE THUNDERGOD:hammer:

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
My problem with high volume workouts is that the only guys i have ever seen who are of any size that do them are extremely chemically assisted. I am not saying this is true for everyone, just what i have seen. Also for the guys that aren't all that advanced, and i doubt their are very many lurking around here, it is much easier to get bigger by getting stronger. If you could figure out a way to put 100 lbs on your dead and squat and 50 lbs on your bench while still doing some form of accessory work, it is going to be the easiest way for you get bigger and you won't do this very quickly by doing a marathon for a routine.

ThisGuy2

ThisGuy2

Awards
  • Established
:goodpost:This is real good sh*t right here!! Variety is not only the spice of life, it is the spice of bodybuilding! We can't allow ourselves to get stagnated in our training. I'm constantly changing up grips, angles, and excercises almost from one workout to the next! It helps to keep the anticipation high for the next workout. Because it won't be the "same old...same old", it'll be new and thrilling!!:woohoo:"Bodybuilding: It's not just a routine, it's an adventure!" THE THUNDERGOD:hammer:
Thanks bro! That's my reasoning precisely. By changing it up and trying new ways to challenge your body, you have something to look forward to everytime you head in to the gym. Using the same routines day after day, week after week is like sticking to the military position. :rasp: It gets old real quick.

And I dig that tag line, by the way!!! Someone needs to make t-shirts with that on 'em.

BlackSheep

BlackSheep

Banned
Awards
  • Established
My problem with high volume workouts is that the only guys i have ever seen who are of any size that do them are extremely chemically assisted. I am not saying this is true for everyone, just what i have seen. Also for the guys that aren't all that advanced, and i doubt their are very many lurking around here, it is much easier to get bigger by getting stronger. If you could figure out a way to put 100 lbs on your dead and squat and 50 lbs on your bench while still doing some form of accessory work, it is going to be the easiest way for you get bigger and you won't do this very quickly by doing a marathon for a routine.
I agree with this more or less. And Like I stated in the thread topic I just switched to this because I have been lifting in the 85-90%1RM for the last 9-10 weeks. And while strength and size can usually go hand in hand more and more studies are showing that hypertrophy is induced by several different variables,.... long spill short: working in the 15-20 rep range is one of them. I just haven't worked much in this range and have found very little info regarding session duration or total sets per wo. But I do agree if you are strong on the big 3 (bench, deads, squats) then you'll inevitably have some size there too.