I'm pretty sure my job is killing my mass gains

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  178 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.5%

I'm pretty sure my job is killing my mass gains

I have worked in construction for about 8 years now. It has never really bothered me in the Gym. But the past two years I started working for a Brick and Block company. The minimum amount I lift a day is around 40,000 lbs, stretched over a 8-10 hour period of course.
    The money is good but I think it's killing my mass gains by over training my muscles. It does keep me very strong and lean. I have not been over 12% bf and can bench twice my body weight but I think it is setting me back big time.

I have to eat a lot just to maintain. I was just wanting some confirmation on my thought process.

Thanks,

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.93%
    Achievements Posting Pro

work harder and eat more.
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  .5 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.85%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Probably going to have to cut back on the gym time. With all that lifting, I'm sure you are getting quite an aerobic workout in.
    •   

4. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'3"  126 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.55%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

I worked in a powder coating job like that. Everything i lifted was 50lbs to 300lbs and i lifted for 8 hrs a day. What I had to do was really up my protein. Add in BCAA's and change my reps on things like arms. I lifted more weight and less reps.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  178 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.5%

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.
    Thanks for the good advice!
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'6"  267 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.36%

Quote Originally Posted by jonathonk10d View Post
    I have worked in construction for about 8 years now. It has never really bothered me in the Gym. But the past two years I started working for a Brick and Block company. The minimum amount I lift a day is around 40,000 lbs, stretched over a 8-10 hour period of course.
    The money is good but I think it's killing my mass gains by over training my muscles. It does keep me very strong and lean. I have not been over 12% bf and can bench twice my body weight but I think it is setting me back big time.

I have to eat a lot just to maintain. I was just wanting some confirmation on my thought process.

Thanks,
    Well to tell you to work harder is just stupid.

Here is the short version, you need to train less (reduce reps), eat as much as you can, and focus on body parts that you are not utilizing at work. Don't be afraid of taking a little time off at the gym. But you need to focus on eating and that is something that I now really see as the hardest part of training, it is eating enough that is the real work. You would benefit from a large carb meal 1 or 2 times/day to help restore glycogen, and you need to hammer down a **** load of protein shakes.

Engineers long winded nerd geek out answer;

40,000 lbs over 9 hrs breakdowns to 74.07 lbs/sec now considering that you might not lift nearly 75 lbs a sec. it is easy to assume that you have intervals where you have a rapid increase in output, and that sums to 40,000 lbs/day, regardless of whether this over a long time interval, steady state, or whatever doesn't matter, it is a lot of work. Now this brings me to work which is mechanically described as W= F * d, that is the force times a displacement, this happens in the weight room and at your job, i.e. you applying a force to move something. So a 50 lb block raised 24 inches, the work done is 1200 lb*in or 100 lb*ft, so if your standard height is 24 inches over the 40,000 lbs, the work done is 80,000 lb*ft, that is a **** load. Now we haven't even figured in the work done at the gym. See short answer.

You are working hard!
    Last edited by heavies; 05-27-2008 at 10:20 PM. Reason: added clarification
  7. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.03%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

yeah man Dante Trudel had a job where he had to eat 8,000 calories just to maintain (he was around 300 at the time).
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  178 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.5%

Yeah, I have been ready for another job for quite some time now. Once I find another one it will make things a lot easier.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  178 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.5%

Quote Originally Posted by heavies View Post
    So a 50 lb block raised 24 inches, the work done is 1200 lb*in or 100 lb*ft, so if your standard height is 24 inches over the 40,000 lbs, the work done is 80,000 lb*ft, that is a **** load. Now we haven't even figured in the work done at the gym. See short answer.

You are working hard!
    Most of the time I'm lifting those 50lb blocks up onto a 5ft. scaffold so it's really like quadrupling the work.

The amazing thing about the human body is it can adapt and get used to doing things like this. I am used to lifting this much everyday so it doesn't bother me that much but every time they hire a new guy I can tell how hard it really is.

I always feel sorry for the new guy, and remember back when I started.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.53%

i would drink xtend all day

i wish i knew about it back when i worked construction.
  11. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.6%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by rabican View Post
    i would drink xtend all day

i wish i knew about it back when i worked construction.
    Yup. 2 gallon jug + 9 scoops of xtend for the day
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  178 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.5%

I think the best solution is to find another job!
    Another really bad thing about this job is my commute. With the rising gas prices (It costs me $14 a day) and the extra food/supplements it would be cheaper and better for me to find a better job closer to home.

Until I can find one, I will be taking everyone up on the great advice.

Thanks everyone!

Similar Forum Threads

1. Mass gains on Epi
    By GnastyMcNasty in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-22-2010, 06:09 PM
  2. Mass Gains
    By Dr3w5k1 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-05-2008, 05:58 PM
  3. Cardio Killing My Gains?
    By ssor1005 in forum Exercise Science