How many times do you workout chest? - AnabolicMinds.com - Page 2

Poll: How many times do you workout chest in a week?

How many times do you workout chest?

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  220 lbs.

whatever im trying to bring up gets hit twice a week,everything else once. only do it for 2 months then something else gets two workouts a week

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.

A muscle belly will recover within 36-48hrs (approx). Then it which it can maintain or atrophy, thus why frequency is such a large component of hypertrophy.

1-2x for me. I'm very prone to CNS drain so multi-joint exercises like chest presses taxes me unusually hard. That said, your nervous system will have a slower time recovering from a workload than your muscles do, so listen to your body.

KM
  3. True74Seneca

I do it once or twice. I am doing Rippetoes Starting Strength. One week you Bench twice, one week you do it once.
    •   

4. New Member

twice per week

2 exercises each session. Usually gironda dips plus some form of incline press. I vary reps and sets but at the moment I'm doing 3 set. Each set to eccentric failure, 10 deep breaths between sets.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  213 lbs.

Question here along same lines, but with a twist.

To answer question, I have cycles between doing chest 2x/week with high volume to once per week with high intensity MAX-ot style. I have made good gains on both, and especially saw gains when swapping between them. As such, I am planning on cycling between 2x and 1x/highintensity.

Additional question though. My usual routine is above, but how would this be modified if using RPN Havoc (since this is a RPN board I guess this is appropriate here)

I would think recovery would be sped along and I could do 2x but up volume to maybe 1.5 hours instead of 1 hour? Any thoughts on if this would be too much. I dont want to ruin my cycle I have started. I know what NORMALLY works for me, but this dietary suppliment may change things.
  6. yea!!!!!
    Stats
    6'3"  249 lbs.

best results for me are once a week, just like leg day. But my chest day is HUGE and i think i need a week to recover. My chest day now:

- 3 sets of incline/flat dumbells each for warmup,... 5 sets on incline barbell and then 5 on flat barbell, 3 sets of inclines flys, 3 sets of flat flyes, and 3 sets of decline flyes.Then ill go do some close grip bench or mock close grip on the tricep ext. bar (elbows flared) then go back to 3 sets of cable crossovers each of the three ways. (9 more sets). Every other week ill add in super sets of machince flys or pec decs after 3 sets of weighted dips at the end. Also maybe its just me with my long arms, but more flyes in my routine have added a significant thickness then before where i prioritized presses with only flyes here and there.

Add it all up,... thats alot of fricken sets to get done in 1hr- 1hr15min, and I need a week to recover. Been doin this for about 3 months and loving it since,.... ofcourse with some changes here and there to keep my body guessing.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  213 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by brk_nemesis View Post
    best results for me are once a week, just like leg day. But my chest day is HUGE and i think i need a week to recover. My chest day now:

- 3 sets of incline/flat dumbells each for warmup,... 5 sets on incline barbell and then 5 on flat barbell, 3 sets of inclines flys, 3 sets of flat flyes, and 3 sets of decline flyes.Then ill go do some close grip bench or mock close grip on the tricep ext. bar (elbows flared) then go back to 3 sets of cable crossovers each of the three ways. (9 more sets). Every other week ill add in super sets of machince flys or pec decs after 3 sets of weighted dips at the end. Also maybe its just me with my long arms, but more flyes in my routine have added a significant thickness then before where i prioritized presses with only flyes here and there.

Add it all up,... thats alot of fricken sets to get done in 1hr- 1hr15min, and I need a week to recover. Been doin this for about 3 months and loving it since,.... ofcourse with some changes here and there to keep my body guessing.
    Wow, that is some massive volume. I would say that if your working out like that once is certainly pleanty!! Have you tried it the other way? ---> splitting workload bwtween 2 days? If so, hoow did/didn't this work out for you. Reps for detailed post.
  8. yea!!!!!
    Stats
    6'3"  249 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffh3c View Post
    Wow, that is some massive volume. I would say that if your working out like that once is certainly pleanty!! Have you tried it the other way? ---> splitting workload bwtween 2 days? If so, hoow did/didn't this work out for you. Reps for detailed post.
    yes i used to do a twice a week split in the first year of college up to about 1.5 years ago( now in my 4th year of college). One day would be a heavier day with light leg work. The other would be a lighter chest day with heavy leg work. I would do this for 3-6 months, then go to 2 FULL chest days a week, with legs also being 2 days a week, and i would do that for about 3-6 months and change again. In all that time i did make gains, esp while on cycle of course, but it was mostly strength and i wasnt really seeing the "mass" difference i was really expecting. Also, ive had a big chest since highschool b/c like a few others on here, i deposit more fat in the lower chest which makes me look as if i can do a 500lb press, lol ( Ive never been fat,then i was tall, skinny, wit a abnormally large lower chest) LOL. So one of my goals since getting into college was to also shape up my chest, and make it thick, and not "wierd" looking like it was in HS.
    A reg chest workout at this time would look like:
    flat bench: 1x12, 1x10, 1x8, 1x6, 1x4
    incline bench: same set/rep #
    flat flyes: 1x10, 1x10, 1x failure set
    incline flyes; same set/rep #
    3 sets of weighted dips

then leg routine:--->
    * triceps workout if i had time (extensions or close grip)

Thats what i would usually do one day for a twice a week split, something like that, then the 2nd day, i would do maybe 3-4 set of dumbell work instead of bb presses and 4 sets on the pecdeck machine, and then with the heavier leg routine.

The difference between now and then is i am getting strength gains AND notice visible mass gains, so i think ive found the right base for my routine. Also my view on flyes is the same as squats/leg presses: go DEEP as hell!!!! Plus i have heard that guys with longer arms are more acceptable to results with flyes, i dont know how much evidence there is to support this, but the added volume of flyes has surely made a difference( in terms of shaping). Also in terms of my ego,... i threw it out years ago, so b/c of that my form now is near perfection on presses and flyes,.... slow and deep. i think that is also a key. hope this helps ya bro
  9. New Member

3x week right now on a fullbody split 5x5 with only bench and maybe som pushups variations..
    I notice my chest is getting alot stronger in bench but the size hasnt changed to much. Not the best mass exc but defintly a neccesary exercise when the dumbells at the gym stops at 90lbs a
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  196 lbs.

Twice a week definitely.. chest needs some improvement!
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  155 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by CryingEmo View Post
    Yeah, I wasn't aiming it at you. I know AM members are the exception to the rule. I just get frustrated when people base your overall strength and even your fighting ability on how much you can bench.

Exactly!!

I'm a bouncer, but a little dude, but get called out here and there.....I get asked all the time "How much you bench *****" and the funny part is I don't tell them, but they still tell me what they do....

So I will normally let them run their mouth, then when they try something I carry em outside, set them on the ground and walk back inside.
  12. Board Sponsor

Just once. Mondays of course. The gym I used to go to only had 2 flat benches, one pec deck, and one set of cross over cables. No way in hell you could get a chest workout in on a Monday unless it was 4AM.
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  190 lbs.

Two times a week one day I go hard and heavy and 3-4 days later I have a light day to focus more on stabilizing muscles. it seems to work for me
  14. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  171 lbs.

2 a week Tuesday and Friday
  15. New Member

1-2 times a week
  16. Professional Member

I usually do 2x a week because the gym at my work only has dumbells so I do flat db and incline db on tuesdays then on fridays I do flat bench and pec deck flys. Since i'm only doing 2 exercises each session i don't need as much recovery.
  17. New Member

Chest 3 times a week for me, I am doing a 5x5. I do squats 3 times a week as well.
  18. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

3 times a week.

5X5 BB Flat Monday
    5X5 BB Incline Wednesday
    5x5 BB Flat Friday
  19. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  213 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by fightbackhxc View Post
    3 times a week.

5X5 BB Flat Monday
    5X5 BB Incline Wednesday
    5x5 BB Flat Friday
    Obviously 3x/wk works for you or you wouldn't be doing it; but isn't 3x a week overtraining or does it have to do with the lower reps allowing the increased frequency? I am interested in trying that, but want to know the science behind it first.

Thanks!
  20. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

i dont think im overtraining it, you progressively work up to your max five, so say i wanted to work up to 225, i would go 185, 195, 205, 215, 225. also that middle day i am doing incline so its switching it up in a small way. its called madcows or bill stars 5X5 look it up i couldnt post the link because i dont hvae 50 posts.
  21. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.

referring to above every week you increase your max five by 2.5 lbs or since my gym doesn't have that small of weights i increase my max five by 5 lbs every 2 weeks.
  22. New Member
    Stats
    5'4"  145 lbs.

Twice a week. One day heavy and one day light (high rep) when doing another body part heavy.
  23. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.

nice a little power/hypertrophy going on.
  24. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

I do chest 4x a week. 100 lb dumbbells. Im guessing this is too much, but I use to be in football and was a heavy powerlifter so im thinking the way I workout is a little off. because I dont powerlift anymore. After reading this thread though im definately going to cut back significantly.
  25. New Member

2x a week
    Monday and Friday
    12 sets of 8-10 monday
    9 sets of 10-12 friday
    Composed entirely of dumbell/cable exercises.

Has been great for hypertrophy, but i would say low to moderate strength gains (though i havent benched in ages, so i dont really know how to compare it to how strong i was previously). Then again, i have a strange routine, but i like it and it works for me. Been putting on more mass (but less strength) than i had been with the Starr 5x5.
  26. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  188 lbs.

twice a week,
    Incline bench
    incline db bench
    inlcine flyes
    dips
    pullovers
    sub reg bench for incline db bench as well
    Shoulder injuries caused alot of problems, just trying to catch up on upper chest area
  27. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  155 lbs.

I have my 4 day split,

Mon: Shoulders Bicepts
    Tues: Back Tricepts
    Thurs: Chest Abs
    Fri: Legs

Cardio on off days
  28. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.

I hit my chest twice a week , giving 2 days rest. First workout I go with barbell exercises combined with machine flys. Second workout is all dumbells to include flys. Never more than 4 sets and 6-10 reps per. I've always had good luck with it. I usually go heavy every other week, the rest of the time I keep the weight manageable and stick to form.
  29. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  172 lbs.

I do chest 3 times a week.... Part of a full body workout... 4 sets 10 reps each day.. Tue-Flat BB bench press...Thu-Incline DB press.. Sat-Cable flys..... Works very well for me.
  30. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

so 6 x a week bench curls is not how to get big? lol jk

i only work it once a week
  31. New Member

6 exercises, 24 sets and 216 reps per week

twice a week
  32. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  205 lbs.

I do 3 sets of 12's with 225lbs for flat bench.
    Decline bench 3 sets of 12's with 80lbs dumbbells
    Incline bench 3 sets of 12's with starting with 60lbs and working up to 80lbs
    then i do cable flys... with 35lbs on each side... also 3 sets of 12's, squeezing and holding for about 3 seconds with each rep....
  33. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by CryingEmo View Post
    Yeah, I wasn't aiming it at you. I know AM members are the exception to the rule. I just get frustrated when people base your overall strength and even your fighting ability on how much you can bench.
    This guy who was at the gym with me basically 3 times a week, but not a friend, was having a bad day I guess, and was runnin his mouth to everyone, one day. He was a big dude, prolly 6'2" and 240-250, with a huge bench, in the 400's. When he started aiming at me, I let it slide like 3 times, and thoen gave up. We
    went out to the parking lot and I dropped him with a jab to the chin and a power to the nose, laid him out in the middle of the lot, with mad people around cheerin cause he was being such a prick. Took 10 sec. Now I'm only 5'11" @ 190. It took him three weeks of working out with me 3 times a week still, to come up and apologize. Then he finished by asking me, "how are you so fast?". Hilarious. But I know how you feel.
  34. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  220 lbs.

Yea u can be strong as hell and still not know how to fight. Anyhow, I work chest once a week. I just feel more fresh when I give my chest a week to rest.
  35. New Member

Once a week, 2-4 sets TOTAL after warm up.
    When you leave this world, will it be a better place because you were here?

Similar Forum Threads

1. Need help with a Chest workout.
    By steviestv8 in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-22-2009, 01:56 AM
  2. Help with chest workout and sculpting
    By meiantse2 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-13-2009, 10:57 AM
  3. POLL: How many times/week do you workout? FREE PRODUCT!
    By macedaddy in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 144
    Last Post: 12-27-2007, 12:15 PM
  4. Chest workout
    By East1600Plus in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-10-2006, 09:57 PM
  5. Need some help with my chest workout.
    By ArnoldIsMyIdol in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-27-2006, 04:00 AM