Personal Training Certification?

  1. Personal Training Certification?


    What national certification program for Personal Training do you think is the best/most respected/most recognized?


  2. Ncsa-cpt

  3. NSCA - CSCS
    •   
       


  4. NSCA
    ACSM
    ACE

    those are all legit providers of various respected certs.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by LSU Gladiator View Post
    NSCA - CSCS
    You also need a Bachelor's in a related field.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  6. More credentials = better

    BAM!

  7. Quote Originally Posted by LSU Gladiator View Post
    More credentials = better

    BAM!
    Alas, if he gets a BS and a CSCS, I really doubt he wants to be just a PT. The NSCA-CPT, ACSM, or NASM are universally accepted and are generally considered the most widely recognized. NSCA and ACSM have been at the top for years, but NASM has gained recognition in recent years.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  8. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Alas, if he gets a BS and a CSCS, I really doubt he wants to be just a PT. The NSCA-CPT, ACSM, or NASM are universally accepted and are generally considered the most widely recognized. NSCA and ACSM have been at the top for years, but NASM has gained recognition in recent years.
    Bump to this and needing a BS for some of the more detailed certs. I was planning on it anyway (the BS in exercise science) but found it interesting that it was required. CSCS w00t.

  9. NSCA CPT if you dont have a degree
    NSCA CSCS if you do have one.

    I'm hoping to have my CSCS by the end of July.

  10. Batman, tell us about the test (if you've taken it yet). How was it? Any formalities associated with getting certified that suck more/less than others? Any info is much appreciated!

  11. http://www.nsca-cc.org/downloads/Handbook_CPT.pdf

    This is just CPT but it should give you an idea. Im going to take it after i finish my Instrument rating. There's a lot more to being a trainer than you would expect by looking at most of the trainers in gyms, at least the ones that I see.

  12. VolcomX311 is an NSCA-CSCS and I have talked to one of my profs who is a CSCS and he said that the CPT and CSCS exams are similar, but the CSCS is more in-depth, which is expected.

    The CPT is 40% Ex Phys, 40% Program Design, 10% Special Conditions (e.g pregnancy) and 10% Legality is I remember correctly (I took it in '04, so its been a while).
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  13. Quote Originally Posted by LSU Gladiator View Post
    Batman, tell us about the test (if you've taken it yet). How was it? Any formalities associated with getting certified that suck more/less than others? Any info is much appreciated!
    I've been studying up on my A+P lately and will be getting my CPR cert and college transcript done in june. Planning on taking the computer based test at the beginning of july.
    From what I know the practical portion of the exam is not bad at all, but the science portion is not exactly easy.

    http://nsca.hkeducationcenter.com/Co...fo/pretest.cfm

    good practice test to see where your at.

    this link has everything you need to know really.

    http://www.nsca-cc.org/cscs/

  14. Thanks for all the info guys - I've been doing research on the various certifiations. I'd been leaning towards ACSM but now will re-visit the NSCA.

  15. I want to hear how that test goes for you buddy. Anyone with certification experience needs to give us the scoop.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by LSU Gladiator View Post
    I want to hear how that test goes for you buddy. Anyone with certification experience needs to give us the scoop.
    CSCS or all certs?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  17. I took the practice, I got 4/5's and 3/5's on everything.

    I didn't know anything about plyometrics, or validities.

    CSCS or all certs?
    All certs!!!

  18. Quote Originally Posted by LSU Gladiator View Post
    I took the practice, I got 4/5's and 3/5's on everything.

    I didn't know anything about plyometrics, or validities.



    All certs!!!
    The NSCA-CPT was a lot more difficult than I expected because of all of the Ex Phys that is on the test. A&P does not prepare you for this either. The materials for the exam are very information dense, but nothing that is impossible. A solid month of studying for 2 hours/day will prepare for the exam.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  19. Did you use the provided study material or more on your own Rodja?

  20. Quote Originally Posted by OCCFan023 View Post
    Did you use the provided study material or more on your own Rodja?
    I used the study materials. All 11 CDs, the practice tests, and the information book.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  21. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I used the study materials. All 11 CDs, the practice tests, and the information book.
    damn thats more intensive that I though. I wonder how much more complicated the CSCS would be as well. Was the study material your first step into the info or were you in specific classes at school before? I figure by the end of Sophomore year (summer) between schooling and the study material should be fairly easy to ace. CSCS got to wait on though for the BS.

  22. You can take the test before you get your degree. You just get the cert when you graduate. I would definitely take A&P and Exercise phys first.

  23. Quote Originally Posted by OCCFan023 View Post
    damn thats more intensive that I though. I wonder how much more complicated the CSCS would be as well. Was the study material your first step into the info or were you in specific classes at school before? I figure by the end of Sophomore year (summer) between schooling and the study material should be fairly easy to ace. CSCS got to wait on though for the BS.
    It was more than I thought as well, but it wasn't overwhelming. I took mine after the Spring semester was over so I wouldn't have any distractions.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  24. You have to remember also that it being more intensive is what puts it above the other certs.

    I can't wait till I get my CSCS and get to leave this desk job.
    Sitting here all day drives someone like me crazy. Next week the intense studying starts.

  25. CSCS with degree.

    NASM without degree here in New Mexico. It's looked upon as the godlike certification for some reason.

  26. I like NASM for practical application.

    For getting a well paying job in the respected field I would REALLY encourage getting your bachelors or > in Exercise Science.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-26-2012, 05:47 AM
  2. personal training
    By purelife1 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-30-2009, 05:15 PM
  3. Personal Training Certification
    By Iron&Pain in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-24-2006, 01:23 AM
  4. Personal Trainer Certification
    By ryano in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-04-2006, 05:42 PM
  5. Personal trainer certification?
    By spoofy in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-22-2003, 06:29 PM
Log in
Log in