Free Motion Squats

swangswang

Awards
  • Established
Stopped squatting for a while and just stuck with leg press, curls, and extensions but starting to see huge lack in size. my back and knees had always been achy because of squats so I have recently starting using this free motion squat machine at the gym. You can not put on too much weight on the machine but it seems to work everything well but my lower back which i need. just wondered if any of you guys have used this before and could tell me how effective this machine really is.

Thixotrope

Thixotrope

Awards
I think I know what your talking about. If it's what I'm thinking about I personally don't like the machine.

I don't know what your form is like but you might just need a little adjustment in form to alleviate the discomfort in your back and knees.

I have problems with my lower back and found that doing front squats took all the pressure off of it. Also instead of going to parallel I go ALL the way. Going just to parallel puts alot of torque and awkward tension on your patella tendons. You might have to lower you poundages but results are inevitable.

I use about 2/3 of the weight for front squats as I did for back squats but my legs are actually bigger with a killer outer sweep that I didn't have before.

That's just my 2 cents:wave:

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
It's a solid machine but has it's restricitions. The range of motion can be off for some people but if your using it and it feels good on your back then by all means use it.

Thixotrope

Thixotrope

Awards
It's a solid machine but has it's restricitions. The range of motion can be off for some people but if your using it and it feels good on your back then by all means use it.
I agree. While my specific biomechanics make this an awkward exercise for me, it might do someone else good.

swangswang

Awards
  • Established
thank you sirs. i may start a variation between front squats and the free motion machine. appreciate the input.