please comment and critique my chest routine

keater824

keater824

Awards
after my quad heals i am going to go back to lifting, i really want to work on my chest i have an extremeley weak upper chest so this is the chest workout

DB Flat Bench 3x8
Dips 3x failure
DB Pullovers 3x8
Decline pushups 3x failure
Incline DB Bench 3x 8

keater824

keater824

Awards
add decent size to my upper chest while not neglecting the lower and middle chest

sreed11

sreed11

Awards
  • Established
Well idk why you'd be doing a burn out and then going for 8 reps. It's like you're working on hypertrophy and stabilization endurance. Hypertrophy zone is generally 6-12 reps but i like to stay in the 8-12 zone. I've just never seen an approach like this but maybe others will come to critique that may find some value in mixing up the rep range that much even though you're just going for size.

jamze7417

jamze7417

Awards
after my quad heals i am going to go back to lifting, i really want to work on my chest i have an extremeley weak upper chest so this is the chest workout

DB Flat Bench 3x8
Dips 3x failure
DB Pullovers 3x8
Decline pushups 3x failure
Incline DB Bench 3x 8

For Me, I know i used to have super weak chest and had to try a bunch of different things. To me (correct me if im wrong guys) you have some good excersises... and the rep range is good (6-8), but The order just seems a little off to me. You mentioned you wanted to hit your upper chest. But your already failing your muscles with dips and pushups (both primarily lower chest) before you even get to your inclines . Plus I would definetly add BB Bench Press. This is great for the overall development of the chest. Thats a must in my opinion. It allows you to push the most weight.

if you want to hit your upper chest primarily, then you want to be working those excersises when you have most of your strength before your tired ya know. So they need to be in the beginning more. I would try something like this:

BB Flat Bench
Incline DB Bench
DB Pullovers
( i would probably do Incline DB Flys Personally)
Then do your lower chest stuff...
Dips
Pushups
(i end with these becuase they give you a good stretch at the end) Some people dont like pushups period but to each his own.

You dont want to be failing your muscles with pushups halfway through, then you wont be able to lift heavy on the other important parts.

I might try that and see how it works for you.

maurice02

maurice02

Awards
  • Established
I agree as above. You really should start with BB flatbench to work the overall chest, and then if you want to focus on the upper do incline next.

I typically do flat, incline, fly, another flat and then some of those machines for incline. About once a month I swap out incline though for decline.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I'm a sucker for people who stick to DBs instead of using the barbell.

My thought is why not start with Incline DB first and throw in some DB decline's every other week?

sreed11

sreed11

Awards
  • Established
For Me, I know i used to have super weak chest and had to try a bunch of different things. To me (correct me if im wrong guys) you have some good excersises... and the rep range is good (6-8), but The order just seems a little off to me. You mentioned you wanted to hit your upper chest. But your already failing your muscles with dips and pushups (both primarily lower chest) before you even get to your inclines . Plus I would definetly add BB Bench Press. This is great for the overall development of the chest. Thats a must in my opinion. It allows you to push the most weight.

if you want to hit your upper chest primarily, then you want to be working those excersises when you have most of your strength before your tired ya know. So they need to be in the beginning more. I would try something like this:

BB Flat Bench
Incline DB Bench
DB Pullovers
( i would probably do Incline DB Flys Personally)
Then do your lower chest stuff...
Dips
Pushups
(i end with these becuase they give you a good stretch at the end) Some people dont like pushups period but to each his own.

You dont want to be failing your muscles with pushups halfway through, then you wont be able to lift heavy on the other important parts.

I might try that and see how it works for you.

try this one week and then just change every BB to DB and every DB to BB.

jspillane08

Awards
Throw that incline press in earlier, for me thats my money maker. Try the flat bench dumbell alternate press, its a good unliateral excercise that will build your core. I think dumbells are the way to go they incorporate more muscle fiber. However, if you want mass I would suggest doing a few more presses with the bar, also buy a dip belt and besure to do weighted dips.