German Volume Training

Ectofighter

Ectofighter

Awards
Has anyone used this technique? I just recently came across it and was wondering how it worked on anyone. I'd like to change up my routine. I'm getting used to the routine i'm currently in and need a mix up.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I used it while bulking on cycle, it is brutal and works well. It does require a tremendous amount of recovery, so if you can't get the sleep/nutrition in to do that, I'd suggest something else.

MB

dawaro

dawaro

Awards
I tried it for a little while but I did not like the fact that I felt less worked and more fatigued from the volume involved. Not to mention the increased recovery times it required.
What routine are you using now?

Mikey13

Awards
Mixing things up might not be the key, tweaking and continuous progression is the key.
With that being said - I have used GVT and didn't mind the extra work involved. I used it when recovering from an injury and the lower weight with extra volume was awesome for great gains and added strength. I would suggest trying it out for a while

Ectofighter

Ectofighter

Awards
I tried it for a little while but I did not like the fact that I felt less worked and more fatigued from the volume involved. Not to mention the increased recovery times it required.
What routine are you using now?
I currently do the following

monday I do bench, incline, decline, flat and flys
tuesday is back , back flys, wide pull down, narrow pull, and bent dips
wed is shoulders, front, side, overhead, tricepts, skull crusher, behind head
thursday legs, squats, calves
friday, bicepts, hammer, and bar, forearm curl

dawaro

dawaro

Awards
I currently do the following

monday I do bench, incline, decline, flat and flys
tuesday is back , back flys, wide pull down, narrow pull, and bent dips
wed is shoulders, front, side, overhead, tricepts, skull crusher, behind head
thursday legs, squats, calves
friday, bicepts, hammer, and bar, forearm curl
If you are just wanting a change of scenery there are lost of options.
Here are some others you can look at:
-any of the 5x5 - Madcow, Bill Starr, The Texas Method, Stronglifts (3x a week full body, progressive loading, 5 set of 5 reps)
-AST Sports Max-OT (5 day split with 2-3 sets of 4-6 reps)
-HST (3x a week full body, progressive loading, reps change from 15-10-5 every 2 weeks, sets range from 2-3 per body part)

Between those and the GVT you are already looking at I am sure you can find something you like.

JohnnyBGood

JohnnyBGood

Awards
I lost strength when I uses GVT. In my experience, it is great for endurance, OK for size, and terrible for strength. It is not my favorite type of training, but every once in a while I throw in a 10 x 10 to induce some serious soreness or just for a change.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I agree with JohnnyBGood. It's good for size, if your bulking/hypertrophy. But if your goal is strength, you should go with 5x5 or such.

nephilim666

nephilim666

Awards
  • Established
i always do 6 weeks of GVT in the middle of every cycle beacuse the size gains from it are excelent. i agree tho i lose alot of strength when i do this. my bench will drop almost 100lbs by the time im done, likewise with deads and squats.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
i always do 6 weeks of GVT in the middle of every cycle beacuse the size gains from it are excelent. i agree tho i lose alot of strength when i do this. my bench will drop almost 100lbs by the time im done, likewise with deads and squats.
Damn. I wouldnt be able to sleep if I lost that much strength.

nephilim666

nephilim666

Awards
  • Established
haha going from 500 to 400 doesnt bother me it still is alot of weight. and i like it more cus my shoulders dont burn the next day :p