200 Rep Challenge

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Registered User

200 Rep Challenge

I actually got this from T-nation, but it's a great way to shock your muscles. Me and my buddy did it the other day and I'm still recovering.

100 reps of dips
    100 reps of chins

Basically do 10 sets of 10, supersetting both exercises (switch back and forth). Try to make it to 200! Once you get good, you can time yourself and try to beat that time.

There were a few instances I would do 7 chins, 10 dips, then go back and do 3 more chins. It was HARD. I only made it to about 75 chins and then quit out, I was completely spent. I did manage the 100 dips though.

Anyone who tries this please post feedback.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.

I want to cry already. The dips would be doable for me over 10-12 sets i think but 100chins....maybe over the course of a week lol.
  3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Australian made View Post
    I want to cry already. The dips would be doable for me over 10-12 sets i think but 100chins....maybe over the course of a week lol.
    LOL, I know. There were a few times I had to do a set of 5, just to recover and hit the 10 the next time around. I think the program was developed by escape mental patients. That's the conclusion we came to halfway through
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  250 lbs.

IM TOTALLY DOING THIS ONE DAY ! YOUR ON....

my dip thingy sucks at gym, i might just do ones off the bench if soo ill def label it accordingly, how wide are your chins? chins being palms out right
  5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by nycste View Post
    IM TOTALLY DOING THIS ONE DAY ! YOUR ON....

my dip thingy sucks at gym, i might just do ones off the bench if soo ill def label it accordingly, how wide are your chins? chins being palms out right
    In the article they did the chins with a semi supinated grip

I did mine palms facing in ... palms facing out would've been too hard

We did our workout on Monday. It is now Thursday morning and my chest, lats and back are still pretty sore. It definately taxes the hell out of you.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  250 lbs.

i can already do 5 sets of bw dips @ 40 reps per set, so that would be no problem, but the chins, after about 30 of em i'd be only gettin about 2 or 3 reps a set. lol

i think it will be a while for me to accomplish this one...
    IronMagLabs Representative - Adrenolin15 = 15% OFF
    Hardcore Peptides Representative - ADREN20 = 20% OFF
    Orbit Nutrition Affiliate - adrenolin = 10% OFF (World-Wide shipping)
  7. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeRows View Post
    I actually got this from T-nation, but it's a great way to shock your muscles.
    Wouldn't sticking your finger in an open A/C outlet also shock you muscle and save some time and effort

My point behind the sarcasm is that muscle shocking and muscle hypertrophy are not mutually exclusive.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  250 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by B5150 View Post
    Wouldn't sticking your finger in an open A/C outlet also shock you muscle and save some time and effort

My point behind the sarcasm is that muscle shocking and muscle hypertrophy are not mutually exclusive.
    this is true, and last you want is some kinda injury or aka overuse etc
  9. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator

I can imagine that my shoulders would be shot after one session of dips. Shot enough that it could take a very long time to recover from the trauma to my joints and ligaments alone.

But it surely is a test of stamina and endurance and likely a great way to improve upon both...if I could live through it.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  205 lbs.

sounds like GVT to me! is there a set tempo? I know for GVT I couldn't do 10x10 for chin-ups because of the tempo.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  250 lbs.

I can imagine that my shoulders would be shot after one session of dips. Shot enough that it could take a very long time to recover from the trauma to my joints and ligaments alone.

But it surely is a test of stamina and endurance and likely a great way to improve upon both...if I could live through it.
    yes of course it could be dramatic to shoulders alone other body parts, but then it really matters what kinda normal training you do

if

Big joe normally does 5x5s in everything then attempts 100 reps of something he will most likely fall apart lol

if

Big Bob normally does 5x20 well then doing 100s must be easier but still totaly challenege but not as potentially damaing as Big Joes workoout
  12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWalton View Post
    sounds like GVT to me! is there a set tempo? I know for GVT I couldn't do 10x10 for chin-ups because of the tempo.
    Your goal is to time yourself and then beat that time next time around.

Hehe, I told this routine to a coworker who is big into weight lifting. He came in and said he did 300 ... threw in 100 pushups too! Ex-marines always tryin to one-up me ...
  13. Registered User

I've done 10 sets of 10 dips before easily. But when you superset it with chins ... your arms fail very quickly. It was a great workout and I definitely will be incorporating it into my routine (once a month maybe? LOL)
  14. Registered User

Yeah, that's a legitimate concern for you older guys

All joking aside, I told a friend (50+) about this. He can't do dips because of joint problems, so he substituted dips for bench and chinups for pulldowns.

Not quite the same, but does a nice job IMO.
  15. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator

Yeah, that's a legitimate concern for you older guys

All joking aside, I told a friend (50+) about this. He can't do dips because of joint problems, so he substituted dips for bench and chinups for pulldowns.

Not quite the same, but does a nice job IMO.
    Why I oughta...

My shoulders wouldn't handle that even when I was younger. Just a skeletal mechanical thing about my shoulders.
  16. Registered User

sounds kind of like a crossfit workout. I tried this one last week: 100 Pull-ups, 100 pushups, 100 bw squats, 100 sit-ups for time. Everything must be done in succession, I.E. you cannot move on to the next exercise until the 100 pull-ups are completed, etc. Good stuff.The pull-ups are whatever grip you feel you can complete the set with, and are not traditional dead hang pull-ups.
  17. Registered User

Hitting it again today *sighs*
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  250 lbs.

i went for 100 reps on leg ext last week, well lets just say it looked something like

40 + 20 + 10 + 10 + 10 + 10 lol it was hard
  19. Registered User

i went for 100 reps on leg ext last week, well lets just say it looked something like

40 + 20 + 10 + 10 + 10 + 10 lol it was hard
    Damn, never tried it with legs. They must've had to push you around in a wheelbarrow the next day
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

I did the 100 pullups, wide grip palms out, last week and I almost completed all 10 for each set. I made it through 8 sets of 10...then did 8 for my 9th set, and 7 for my 10th set. I wanna give the 200 rep challenge a shot....sounds brutal.
  21. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Gator Alum 03 View Post
    I did the 100 pullups, wide grip palms out, last week and I almost completed all 10 for each set. I made it through 8 sets of 10...then did 8 for my 9th set, and 7 for my 10th set. I wanna give the 200 rep challenge a shot....sounds brutal.
    Good job bro. Supersetting with dips ads a whole new muscle group and movement, it's quite the endurance workout!
  22. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'7"  270 lbs.

there was a guy at my old gym who was in the paper who did 200 squats with 200lbs at one time, no stopping.. i cried just reading the article.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE STRONGEST ON THE MARKET
    http://www.nutraplanet.com/manufacturer/advanced-muscle-science/
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  225 lbs.

Yeah - that is a crossfit type workout for sure.

I did 100 reps with 225 on squats a couple weeks ago - did it, 20, 20, 15, 15, 10, 10, 10.......it was pretty brutal walking around the next day or two.

I may give this 200 rep challenge a shot though...something different.
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  250 lbs.

Damn, never tried it with legs. They must've had to push you around in a wheelbarrow the next day
    odd thing is, no pain afterwards, today however which is half a week later and 1 jog later, my left thigh above my surgery knee is alittle sore, otherwise nothing really im shocked

buttt, i did it with weenie weight since i have no strength in my legs after my surgeries
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.

I could def do the chins part but god damn dips.. seriously just tears my shoulders all to sh!t..

when I read "palms facing out" I took that to mean facing different directions -- which would literally shred everything in my shoulders haha
  26. Registered User

+1 to Crossfit influence

100 *strict* pullups and 100 dips sound completely uneven. 100 kipping pullups and 100 dips sounds a lot more like what was intended... some definintly will be able to muster through the workout with strict PU, but the vast majority of the community won't find this to be a logical workout.
    100 kipping pullups though.... that'll get you suckin' wind! Last time I did Angie was a few weeks ago - great workout.
  27. Registered User

Had a home town fella home on leave from the navy put on a show at my gym this past weekend. He's a navy seal home on leave. Did a 300 rep workout in 18 minutes. 6 exercises 50 reps each. He's built like a freaking house and turned heads the entire 18 minutes. Freaking unbelievable to watch. Got a chance to talk with him later on. Damn cool training that they do on a daily bases. All i can say is that we think we train hard. What they do on a daily bases puts us to shame...
  28. Registered User

Good stuff. I love the workout. Did it yesterday and actually had enough energy to do some 3 chair pushups and arm work. Love it!
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  250 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopie View Post
    Had a home town fella home on leave from the navy put on a show at my gym this past weekend. He's a navy seal home on leave. Did a 300 rep workout in 18 minutes. 6 exercises 50 reps each. He's built like a freaking house and turned heads the entire 18 minutes. Freaking unbelievable to watch. Got a chance to talk with him later on. Damn cool training that they do on a daily bases. All i can say is that we think we train hard. What they do on a daily bases puts us to shame...
    if you could commment more on what they do in atypical day and their diets etc etc?

im always curious how some guys in military get huge and i feel their diets slack because of what they have access too and lack of free weights sometimes, but ya never know.
  30. Registered User

The fellarz I know in the army, when theyre not doing PT or training, are usually lifting. I'm curious about the diets too. MRE's?

I know my buddy who was locked up for a while got big in jail, from all bodyweight exercises. AND their diet which was pretty much all carbs
  31. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  250 lbs.

The fellarz I know in the army, when theyre not doing PT or training, are usually lifting. I'm curious about the diets too. MRE's?

I know my buddy who was locked up for a while got big in jail, from all bodyweight exercises. AND their diet which was pretty much all carbs

exactly my idea in your second statement

how are these guys getting soo huge
  32. Registered User

if you could commment more on what they do in atypical day and their diets etc etc?

im always curious how some guys in military get huge and i feel their diets slack because of what they have access too and lack of free weights sometimes, but ya never know.
    I didnt get into what kind of diet they run, i was more interested in how their training/days run. Their weight trianing consist of the 300 hundred method, however, what i found very interesting is this is done after their daily combat training. Here's where it gets neat i thought. They trian in full combat gear but in their rucks they put weights or bricks in there to weigh it down more. One thing he was telling me about is they will load up their rucks with bricks and then go on a five mile combat hike weapons and all. At the end of the five miles they have to clear a mock up of a house take down with rucks on. Now think about this they just went five miles in full gear and weighted down rucks to immediately clear a house. The control and presision this takes is unremarkable. He was saying that they go through thousands of rounds a day training. then after training its of to their workout. Thats freaking incredible. I could go on forever on waht we talked about with their training. This i hope gives you the jist of it. Like i said i didnt get into how they eat cause i was to fasinated about how they train on a daily bases..
  33. Registered User

Here's the 300 hundred he did

50 pull ups
    50 crunches( using a rack he held up the bar with 135 pounds on it while lying on his back. Then proceeded to do crunches bringing his knees up right then left.)
    50 deadlifts with 135 pounds
    50 box jumps holding weights
    50 db presses(cant remember the weight)
    50 kettle bell press from the floor(he would take the kettle bell down touch the floor with it then in a clean motion bring it up to shoulder height the press it the rest of the way up)

This was all done in 18 minutes..I wanted to puke just watching. An i will try this.....
  34. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  242 lbs.

dudes, it could also be done for
    arms - curls and tri pushdowns
    legs - ext and curls
    shoulders - presses and close grip pull up's

friggin unreal
  35. Registered User

I did 200 rep challenge yesterday with pushups and inverse rows. had to do sets of 20 though
  36. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  155 lbs.

Interesting change... I tried just the 100 dips the other day for kicks. 10x10 in 10 minutes. Going to try the pullups by themselves next, then put them together. The dips were not hard, but I know the pullups will be!
    Thanks for the idea...
  37. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Jaidmaster View Post
    Interesting change... I tried just the 100 dips the other day for kicks. 10x10 in 10 minutes. Going to try the pullups by themselves next, then put them together. The dips were not hard, but I know the pullups will be!
    Thanks for the idea...
    Yes, once you put them together ... its pretty intense. Nice job with the dips tho. keep us posted
  38. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  250 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaidmaster View Post
    Thanks for the idea...

Yes, once you put them together ... its pretty intense. Nice job with the dips tho. keep us posted

great job, but isnt the point to do as many reps per set, thus making this hard, doing 10x10 is simple if you can do 20 pullups in one set ya know... so shouldnt it be like 20-25, 15, 15, 10 etc..
  39. Registered User

great job, but isnt the point to do as many reps per set, thus making this hard, doing 10x10 is simple if you can do 20 pullups in one set ya know... so shouldnt it be like 20-25, 15, 15, 10 etc..
    You can do sets of 3... the amount of sets doesn't madder. It's all about total time. If your faster at accomplishing 100 pullups by going sets of 3, with a 5 second break in between, then that's your best route. Intensity isn't how many reps per set, but rather work/time(work over time). If you pump out 25 reps immediately, and finish the final 75 reps at a snail's pace, your time (and intensity) will suffer.

Simply put, you want to be resting as little as possible. If you can go 25/15/15/10/etc, that's great, but you aren't getting the point of the workout if 10x10 is a faster route for you. It's the fastest time that wins here.
  40. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Highlanda01602 View Post
    You can do sets of 3... the amount of sets doesn't madder. It's all about total time. If your faster at accomplishing 100 pullups by going sets of 3, with a 5 second break in between, then that's your best route. Intensity isn't how many reps per set, but rather work/time(work over time). If you pump out 25 reps immediately, and finish the final 75 reps at a snail's pace, your time (and intensity) will suffer.

Simply put, you want to be resting as little as possible. If you can go 25/15/15/10/etc, that's great, but you aren't getting the point of the workout if 10x10 is a faster route for you. It's the fastest time that wins here.
    Pretty much. The way we do it IS max. time. We usually start out with 20 chins supersetted with 20 dips, and only enough rest time to let my workout partner complete his. By the end of the workout, we can only get about 10 reps per set, but we don't stop between eachother.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. challenge
    By Ironloo in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-21-2010, 01:11 PM
  2. The 200 Rep Challenge
    By WhatsaRoid? in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-10-2010, 12:10 PM
  3. u ready for a real challenge? the gallon challenge
    By justing in forum General Chat