work out routine, too much?

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  186 lbs.
    Answers

work out routine, too much?

Hey what yo guys think, is this too much? My brother and I have been doing this for the past 3 months, we have gone up in weight but i am at a plateu and i was wondering if we are over training.

Monday: chest flat bench (12,10,8) incline bench/free weights(whatever we want to do that day) 12,10,8, decline bench (12,10,8) butterfly machine (12,10,8) and we throw in either cable machine to stretch out and/or we add in the flat chast machine(12,10,8) we try to do every set to failure because we have a spot there and we take advantage of it
    tuesday tri/shoulder/legs 3/4 triceps, 3/4 shoulders, and 3 or 4 legs.
    wednesday off
    thursday bi/back, usually 3/4 bicep workouts 12/10/8 or 10/8/6, and 3/4 back workouts(12,10,8),
    friday chest,
    saturday tri/shoulder/leg
    sunday bi/back

2. Registered User
    Answers

What is your age? That helps out a good amount and what do you take as far as supplements are concerned? Indeed you are doing to much. For example on monday you do chest and then tuesday shoulders and tris, On chest day you use your tris and shoulders alotttt! That means essentially you are hitting the same muscles two days in a row. 6 days a week is a bit much, try to consolidate days. Make monday your chest,shoulders, and tri day take tuesday off and make wednesday a leg day, have thursday be a cardio and core day(ab work) and friday a back and bi's day. Saturday could either be cardio or for extra fun make it a ballistic shoulder and chest day, hit light weights with high intensity in short periods. For example do the bench press light and fast and then with no rest go immediately to a barbell shoulder press. Have fun and hit me back with your own ideas and what you are currently doing supplement wise.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  186 lbs.
    Answers

Yea I was looking up routines that is more like what I was finding lol I take in alot of protein, i drink a 100% egg white protein( the one that comes in the squirt bottle that has no salmenila) with a scoop of casein in the morning before breakfast, usually eat a cup of oatmail or something with decent protein and carbs, good lunch, bannana or apple or something, i drink whey before a hour or so before i work out and then take a pre work out drink ( no xplode, yea it sucks but i bought it) and then i take in a whey, w/ blueberry/bannana, with rice milk something like that after i work out. and i take creatine, and 20+ grams of glutamine a day with my shakes and what not. i think my diet is good and my protein intake is good i eat alot of almonds and stuff, I am a plateu at all of my lifts so I was wondering what was up and maybe I was overtraining, thanks I might try that work out i like the light day on saturday for chest/shoulders, I just didnt think 1 day a week of each type of muscle was enough. Thx

oh im 20 btw
    •   

4. Registered User
    Answers

Diet and supps are superb, you are doing all the necessary things. Once a week is enough if you cant see results by hitting the same groups alot in the same week. However if you get adventurous i would suggest 3 days of hitting all the muscle groups (monday,wednesday,friday) with circuits and heavy lifts. Such as bench,dead, and squat with barbell shoulder cleans or presses. Mix in a few chinups, pullups and dips and you will have a very intense program. Circuits arent sexy now a days, but they are very underrated and very effective. I know how hard it is to stay out of the gym and not lift, i want every damn day to be a lifting day. However i soon found out my body disagreed with me. You will do well my friendly friend, and no-explode isnt the worst thing ever. I know people are harsh on it, but i got pretty decent results on it. When buying time comes again try SuperPump 250, it is by far the best NO product i have tried, i have indeed tried them all. Good Luck!
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Answers

Might want to try messing with your rep ranges, since you're stuck at a plateau..

Try undulating periodization? Basically what you do is switch up your rep scheme every 2nd workout for that muscle group.. For example:

Day1: Chest and such - 3 sets of 12
    Day2: legs and such - 3 sets of 12
    Day 3: chest and such - 5 sets of 5
    day 4: legs and such - 5 sets of 5
    day 5: chest and such - 4 sets of 8
    day 6: legs and such - 4 sets of 8
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by theBIGcactus View Post
    Monday: chest flat bench (12,10,8) incline bench/free weights(whatever we want to do that day) 12,10,8, decline bench (12,10,8) butterfly machine (12,10,8) and we throw in either cable machine to stretch out and/or we add in the flat chast machine(12,10,8) we try to do every set to failure because we have a spot there and we take advantage of it
    tuesday tri/shoulder/legs 3/4 triceps, 3/4 shoulders, and 3 or 4 legs.
    wednesday off
    thursday bi/back, usually 3/4 bicep workouts 12/10/8 or 10/8/6, and 3/4 back workouts(12,10,8),
    friday chest,
    saturday tri/shoulder/leg
    sunday bi/back
    That is a lot of volume, especially for Monday, that is a 150 reps. Being that most of those exercises also work the shoulders and tris the Tuesday work out is going to suffer because of the volume the previous day.
    What kind of goal do you have for working out? Strength, size, both?
    How much training experience do you have?
    Just looking at the numbers I am going to bet you are overtraining. Gives us some details and we can probably point you in a good dircetion.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Work out routine when on cycle?
    By whsktklfklf in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-26-2009, 08:54 PM
  2. work out routine (critique)
    By reilj4 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-25-2008, 11:42 AM
  3. Trying to work out a routine.
    By Chub in forum Training Forum