Following a routine is must?

Dru

Dru

Awards
Was just wondering if i should follow a program for a couple monthes to get results and keep a log of the weights/ exercises/ sets/ reps done OR will i still get alot of results if i just go to the gym each time and train the musclegroup of choice with intensity and till failure?

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Was just wondering if i should follow a program for a couple monthes to get results and keep a log of the weights/ exercises/ sets/ reps done OR will i still get alot of results if i just go to the gym each time and train the musclegroup of choice with intensity and till failure?
A routine will help keep you from over-training the same group of muscles. Meaning, if you workout 3-4 days a week, then you should have a legs days, arms day, chest day, and back day etc... instead of just working whatever you can think of at the time. I know it helps give me a balance too. My muscles in all areas are growing at the same time, instead of having gorilla arms and a 10-year-old's chest. Thats just my 2 cents.

J

JpB

Awards
I wouldn't say its a must. I know it is easier for me to progress to my goals if I keep track (follow a program, diet, etc). If you are making strides in the gym i see no reason to not log it if you don't want to.

Last edited:
SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
You don't need to stick to a routine, I think changing up exercises when you want is a good idea, but logging the weight you use it crucial. You dont want to waste sets lifting to light or to heavy. I would stick to some crucial lifts(presses,deads) every time you lift and keep adding the weight on every week.

dawaro

dawaro

Awards
If you are new to this you will see results with anything as long as you are putting out an effort.
My answer to your question is yes, both a routine and a log book should be requirements.
Reasons -
A routine keeps you on track. You should know when you walk in what exercises & weights you are going to do that day. Knowing your routine will keep you moving at a good pace plus a set routine gives you a base to make changes when it is time to mix things up. It will also help you keep the workload balanced. A set routine also helps on days when motivation is low because you already know what you have to get done vs. wondering around trying to find something you feel like doing and then leaving without doing any real work.
If you are serious about being in the gym then you need a log book. You need something to track your progress, something that will show the results of the hard work you have done or show you when you are getting stuck. Log books also help you keep track of your progressions on the weight you are lifting. You also have a record of what weight you have worked at on an exercise when you change your routine up to something new.