Motivation

1. Registered User
    Answers

Motivation

I have been a serious lifter for about 8 years. However, the past 2 years or so have been really tough. I just cannot find the desire to hit the gym the way I used to. Anyone else go through this? Any suggestions?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bryan4592 View Post
    I have been a serious lifter for about 8 years. However, the past 2 years or so have been really tough. I just cannot find the desire to hit the gym the way I used to. Anyone else go through this? Any suggestions?
    Set new goals, this will help you stay on path will lifting, but steer it toward a different path. If you're goal has been to cut down & get ripped and you're there, aim to size & strength up. Power, Strength and Hypertrophy have very distinct regiments relative to their specific adaption(s).

I found that switching back & forth from muscle size/weight gain, to muscle strength/weight loss (or Recomp) not only keeps me motivated with new & changing goals, but its an effective way to progressively cause your body to grow by having to adapt and re-adapt to a new stimulus.
    NSCA - CSCS
  3. Registered User
    Answers

I have went through the same thing my friend. I was in the gym just aimless, till i thought why bother and stopped for a solid year all together, it was awful. I found what Volcom says to be true, having a goal to look forward to helps. Hence start writing down your workouts, find a workout that you like(not necessarily one you create yourself, maybe look at some already out there that have worked for others to get you in the right place) and maybe if you have the extra cash find a good personal trainer for a month that can set you up with something new and exciting to do at the gym. Money spent on your health and goals is money well spent and certainly will motivate you to come to the gym if you got money invested there. If money is an issue find a training partner, a good buddy who will push you to new heights and will be ready to go when you are. Or just f' it all and pick up a sport you like doing and get involved outside the gym(i am the worst basketball player ever, but i love to play pickup games at the park, the workout i get is great and when i am winded i keep going because i am having alot of fun. I cant dribble and am the only person still using the bounce pass on the court, but damn it i love it) Good luck!!!! And get back out there!
    •   

4. Registered User
    Answers

Thanks for the replies guys. I've always had extrinsic motivation in the past becuase I was always training for football. But, Im no longer playing and I'm having trouble finding the drive because Im not really in danger of losing my starting position anymore. Im thinking about totally changing my approach and going lean and strong instead of bulky and strong. I dont need to look like a FB player anymore. A training partner would be a great idea, but Im moving in a few weeks so that might be tough. Again, I appreciate the input.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  176 lbs.
    Answers

for motivation i like to go to places where overweight and out of shape people hang out - like wallmart, all you can eat buffets, fast food joints.
    after spending some time watching them you'll be super motivated to get to the gym and eat healthy.
    it works everytime!
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bryan4592 View Post
    Volcom & Thomas hit it on the head.
    A set routine and a logbook can do wonders for motivation but you have to find that personal reason that you want to be there. Wether it is to lose weight, be stronger, or just to feel like the alpha male, it is something you have to find.
    Logbooks and goals give you a target to reach for, a mark to beat.
    You can track your lifts, BF%, weight, what ever is important to you.
    If your motivation is dropping off I would bet your results have too, they seem to go hand in hand. Try changing up your routine. I had started get a little less motivatated after a year of the Max-OT program so I switched to a 5x5, now I am moving to a GVT. In the future I will probably swith between the 5x5 & GVT every 6-8 weeks to keep it fresh.
    What are you doing now? What is it that you enjoy doing at the gym?
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Motivation...
    By BrentD22 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-20-2010, 04:36 PM
  2. Motivation
    By Shane0Mac in forum Bulking
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-29-2009, 03:13 PM
  3. Motivation
    By canadianrookie in forum Weight Loss