Need suggestions for a new program

Dru

Dru

Awards
I have been going to the gym for about 2 years, im 165lbs, 5'9, 19 years old and i need to get stronger for police testing. I was hoping i could get some suggestions or a preferred program to gain strength, lose body fat and gain muscle. I can currently do 30 pushups, 8-10 chinups, 30 curl-ups, and i can do 1.5 mile run in about 11-12 minutes. When it comes to the gym the most i bench is 65 lb dumbbells in each hand for 6-8 reps, 220lb deadlift, 120 lat pulldown for 6-8 reps, 30lb/hand bi curls, 75lb Dumbbell/hand shrugs for 6-8 reps, 40lb Dumbbell/hand for shoulder press, 115lb t-bar row, and 30lb/side barbell row and i am lacking in tricep and leg strength and both need alot of improvement. All of the following were from my training journal and i know it is alot but i figure the more information i give, the more advice i can recieve. I currently take a multivitamin daily, eat relatively healthy and consume a protein shake only after workouts. So if anyone has any suggested supplements please feel free to share some ideas, i do live in Canada though so the products down here are different with the exception of BSN, MuscleTech and all the main expensive rip off supplements lol. Anyways i am just looking for a program and training suggestions/techniques, rep and set suggestions and exercise suggestions to Gain muscle, Lose Fat and gain strength. Also, i do cardio on the treadmill for each workout for 25 minutes and run at 6.0 for 5 mins, 6.5 for 10 mins and 6.0 for 5 mins then cooldown, burning roughly 385 calories.

Thixotrope

Thixotrope

Awards
There are many many ways to go about getting making progress in the gym. I'll give you a general split.

Day 1: Quads and Hamstrings, LI
Day 2: Abs, calves, HIIT
Day 3: Triceps and Shoulders, LI
Day 4: Abs, Calves, HIIT
Day 5: Back and Biceps, LI
Day 6: Rest
Day 7: Rest

I'll explain why I chose that particular split. First, you mentioned that legs and triceps are your weak points so you'll want to prioritize them by working them early in the week. Notice you'll have two days of rest before you hit legs again after each cycle and a whole day devoted to triceps and shoulders (which everybody could use a little more of).

Abs and calves get their own day so you're fresh and don't slack on them. Cardio is up to you. Low intensity (LI) is good for promoting recovery after a hard workout and high intensity interval cardio (HIIT) is good on an off day as it stimulates a similar biological response as strength training does by causing you body to produce desirable hormone levels (an anabolic state). If you are going strictly for distance you don't have to get fancy with it. Set a time/distance goal and a reasonable starting point. Increase time/speed a little every session and eventually you'll be hauling a$$. Just remember TOO much cardio hampers your efforts with the weights. So it's good to start low and work your way up until you learn your body.

Last but certainly not least get at least 165 grams of protein per day and around 500 grams of complex carbs a day with a majority of you fat intake coming from mono and polyunsaturated fats (avocados, peanut butter, almonds, olive oil). Spread it all out over 5-7 meals. Supplements are good too (BCAA's, Creatine, NO2, etc.)

For each larger body parts (legs, chest and back) try getting 10-12 sets with 3-4 different exercises with a rep range of 8-10 with good form. For smaller body parts perhaps try 8-10 sets per body part 6-10 reps per set.

These are just general guidelines and can differ greatly from person to person. This all worked for me at one time or another until the inevitable plateau...

Btw make sure you're getting 8-10 hours of sleep every night and cut out the kegs of beer on the weekend.

Good luck!

Dru

Dru

Awards
thanks! but which day is chest done? and what does LI and HIIT stand for?

Thixotrope

Thixotrope

Awards
thanks! but which day is chest done? and what does LI and HIIT stand for?
:rofl:Oops! Sorry, I was smoking crack today.

Slightly modified routine...

Day 1: Quads, hams
Day 2: Triceps, Abs, calves
Day 3: Rest (optional cardio)
Day 4: Back, Biceps
Day 5: Chest, Shoulders, abs, calves
Day 6,7: Rest

Again, Legs and triceps alone early in the week to prioritize. Day 3 is for recovery of emphasized muscle groups. Just because you're concentrating on legs and tri's don't mean slouch on everything else do hit it hard!

LI=Low intensity cardio (keep your heart rate around 120-130, i.e. walk about 2.5 to 3.0 mph on treadmill)
HIIT=High intensity interval cardio (run 6 mph for 1 1/2 minute then walk 2.5 for 45 seconds and repeat)

TheStu

TheStu

Awards
Dru...
Check out this article if you have the time. It's long (really long) but trust me, it's well worth the read (esp part 3) and it's chock full of research:

Advanced Training Planning for Bodybuilders Bryan Haycock MS, CSCS
Part I: Training for Size and Strength: Advanced Training Planning for Bodybuilders, Part 1 by Bryan Haycock
Part II: Training for Size and Strength: Advanced Training Planning for Bodybuilders, Part 2 by Bryan Haycock
Part III: Training for Size and Strength: Advanced Training Planning for Bodybuilders, Part 3 by Bryan Haycock

Last edited:
dawaro

dawaro

Awards
I have been going to the gym for about 2 years, im 165lbs, 5'9, 19 years old and i need to get stronger for police testing. I was hoping i could get some suggestions or a preferred program to gain strength, lose body fat and gain muscle. I can currently do 30 pushups, 8-10 chinups, 30 curl-ups, and i can do 1.5 mile run in about 11-12 minutes. When it comes to the gym the most i bench is 65 lb dumbbells in each hand for 6-8 reps, 220lb deadlift, 120 lat pulldown for 6-8 reps, 30lb/hand bi curls, 75lb Dumbbell/hand shrugs for 6-8 reps, 40lb Dumbbell/hand for shoulder press, 115lb t-bar row, and 30lb/side barbell row and i am lacking in tricep and leg strength and both need alot of improvement. All of the following were from my training journal and i know it is alot but i figure the more information i give, the more advice i can recieve. I currently take a multivitamin daily, eat relatively healthy and consume a protein shake only after workouts. So if anyone has any suggested supplements please feel free to share some ideas, i do live in Canada though so the products down here are different with the exception of BSN, MuscleTech and all the main expensive rip off supplements lol. Anyways i am just looking for a program and training suggestions/techniques, rep and set suggestions and exercise suggestions to Gain muscle, Lose Fat and gain strength. Also, i do cardio on the treadmill for each workout for 25 minutes and run at 6.0 for 5 mins, 6.5 for 10 mins and 6.0 for 5 mins then cooldown, burning roughly 385 calories.
If your primary goal is to gain strength I would look at one of the 5x5 programs. There are several out there. Stonglift's (both a beginner & advanced), The Texas Method, Madcow, Eclipse, and the original Bill Starr. All of these have things in common. They are all geared toward strength, revolve around the squat, include nothing but compound lifts, all have structured progressions, and are 3 day/week schedules.
Losing fat is something that will be accomplished through the combination of your diet and increased muscle mass from the work outs. A good rule of thumb is 16 cal/pound to lose, 18 cal/pound to maintain, and 20 cal/pound to gain. These are just starting points. As you see how your body reacts you will need to make adjustments.
The cardio issue is something that is highly debated and a personal choice you are going to have to make. Some say do it LI, some say HIIT, some before and some after work outs. The thing to remember is if you are trying to increase muscle it requires calories. The calories you burn in cardio could be needed for muscle growth.
When I am focussing on gaining weight I drop my cardio. At other times I will due HIIT cardio for 20 minutes on my off days, Tues/Thur/Sat. Again it is a personal choice, you just have to find what works for you.