No Bench for a 55+ inch chest!!! - AnabolicMinds.com

No Bench for a 55+ inch chest!!!

1. New Member

No Bench for a 55+ inch chest!!!

I was reading in a magazine the other day, and came across Ben White. He said that about 8 weeks out he stops doing presses, and only does push ups. WTF, I dont see how this can be true. I have never done a bodybuilding show, but wouldnt you loose alot of muscle? Please help me make sense of this. Mark

USAMuscle.com: Bodybuilder: Ben White here is some pics of him

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.

Doesnt really make sense to me either. Sometimes bodybuilders will say they do something that is really unorthodox because it makes you remember who they are. This thread is a good example of this.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.

You won't automatically loose muscle in the 8 week time frame from switching up to a program heavy in push ups (I am assuming he does a load of them for the high calorie expenditure and for the whole "volume" for definition idea.) Either way if this is true, sure as hell looks like it is working for him.

However if he told Branch Warren about this I think Branch would probably kill him and eat him for protein for being ignorant.
    •   

4. New Member

That does make a little bit of sense when one thinks about it. He is a bigger fella so using his body weight and balancing it for push ups could possibly be a mass builder and i am sure his other exercises are heavy mass builders also. I do try and incorporate pushups in my workouts, i believe well also adding endurance they add some defintion and help my core, but as far as mass is concerned i dont honestly know. In theory it sounds solid though.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by MEH89 View Post
    I was reading in a magazine the other day, and came across Ben White. He said that about 8 weeks out he stops doing presses, and only does push ups. WTF, I dont see how this can be true. I have never done a bodybuilding show, but wouldnt you loose alot of muscle? Please help me make sense of this. Mark

USAMuscle.com: Bodybuilder: Ben White here is some pics of him
    If he is doing a large volume of them it would seem like he would be able to maintain the mass he has, just not build a whole lot of new mass. 8 weeks out from a show he is probably less concerned with building new mass and more concerned with cutting BF. It also probably did not say how many he was doing or if he was doing them weighted. I saw a guy at the gym last week doing them with two 45's on his back...
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Bench pressing from the chest.
    By viralencore84 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-06-2010, 09:47 AM
  2. touching chest on bench
    By mixedup in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-18-2009, 06:55 PM
  3. Flat bench to the chest or couple inches above chest...
    By bbillcee in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-02-2008, 05:30 PM
  4. How can you work out your chest without a weight bench??/
    By bishop17 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-03-2007, 10:35 PM