mid-back excercises

Frotsmud

Awards
hey working on my back, its pretty good except for the middle. i normally do reverse flies on that machine that your sitting on and you do flies sitting up, and i do bent over rows (which, btw, do you do them completely bent over or only partially?) are there any other excercises that i can do to bring this up to shape?

shrugs-4x4,275. warm up-1x8 135, 1x6 225
wide pull ups-5X6
Lateral pulldowns- 4X6
lower back thing-4X6
reverse flies-4x6
bent over rows-4x8

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
i normally do reverse flies on that machine that your sitting on and you do flies sitting up,

(which, btw, do you do them completely bent over or only partially?)

that fly machine is probly only working your rear delts, save that for shoulder day.

(bent over rows)I usually stand about 45 degree angle, something like that, not 90. As long as you feel it in your back more than your arms your doin it right.

I find seated rows to target thickness in my middle back the best. Close grip. And make sure to get a full stretch, lessn up the weight if you have to. I see guys bottom pin that machine then hug the cable to their chest only moving the bar a few inches or half a foot. I get as much of a stretch as possible, its definitly helped me over the keeping your back stiff version.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
wide grip seated row

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
For back thickness, try heavy rowing movements, such as barbell rows, t-bar rows, cable rows, dumbbell rows, ect.. Also, middle back thickness comes from having wide, sweeping lats, so don't forget to train those lat muscles hard from top to bottom. For the top lats, exercises such as wide-grip pull-ups and wide-grip pulldowns are great. For the lower lats, narrowing your grip tends to recruit more fibers from the lower areas of your lats. Exercises such as narrow-grip pull-ups, narrow-grip pulldowns (such as v-bar pulldowns), and one-armed rows all work great for hitting those lower lats hard. Just goes to show how important grip variations can help you achieve total muscle development.

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
DEADLIFT...DEADLIFT...DEADLIFT. Widegrip row and BB rows for more isolation!

For back thickness, try heavy rowing movements, such as barbell rows, t-bar rows, cable rows, dumbbell rows, ect.. Also, middle back thickness comes from having wide, sweeping lats, so don't forget to train those lat muscles hard from top to bottom. For the top lats, exercises such as wide-grip pull-ups and wide-grip pulldowns are great. For the lower lats, narrowing your grip tends to recruit more fibers from the lower areas of your lats. Exercises such as narrow-grip pull-ups, narrow-grip pulldowns (such as v-bar pulldowns), and one-armed rows all work great for hitting those lower lats hard. Just goes to show how important grip variations can help you achieve total muscle development.
:goodpost:....throw in scalpuar stretches between sets to help widen that back. you need a middle back before you can build on it!

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
DEADLIFT...DEADLIFT...DEADLIFT. Widegrip row and BB rows for more isolation!

:goodpost:....throw in scalpuar stretches between sets to help widen that back. you need a middle back before you can build on it!
Good stuff! Stretching and flexing between sets brings on numerous benefits to the muscles being worked!

Check out this thread. I talk a lot about the benefits of stretching and flexing between sets:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/97698-flexing-enhances-physique.html#post1417499

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
You need to deadlift. It will change your back completely in about 6 months.

As far as bent rows i either do Pendlay rows, or i do them where i touch the floor on each rep and am pretty close to parallel with the floor.