Calling All Squat Guru's

cripplerrip

Awards
After a long, long, lay off from the weights, I'm going to hit it again. My problem is that squats like to put a lot of mass on the glutes. I like to fill out my quads as much as possible, with out any or as little as possible glute growth ( if that's possible ) . Anything I do will have to be as easy as possible on the knee's. They aren't that bad now and I want to keep em that way.

What do you guys suggest ? Front squats, raised heels, limited range of motion? I also have a safety squat bar, haven't used it yet.

Thanks

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
If you really want to hit the quads hard do either front squats with heels raised, or even better zercher squats. The zecher squats are amazing for making that tear drop look. Here's how to hold the bar for one:

cripplerrip

Awards
If you really want to hit the quads hard do either front squats with heels raised, or even better zercher squats. The zecher squats are amazing for making that tear drop look. Here's how to hold the bar for one:
I know I've heard that name before, but never looked into it. I'm going to try them, I'm decent with regular squats, but front squats, I'm like a monkey with a football. Was great you inluded the pic, MUCH appreciated.

bryan4592

Awards
front squats are what you want, the zerchers are also a good exercise. Squats won't hurt your knees, poor form or lifting beyond what your capable of will hurt your knees. Squats should strengthen them.

dawaro

dawaro

Awards
After a long, long, lay off from the weights, I'm going to hit it again. My problem is that squats like to put a lot of mass on the glutes. I like to fill out my quads as much as possible, with out any or as little as possible glute growth ( if that's possible ) . Anything I do will have to be as easy as possible on the knee's. They aren't that bad now and I want to keep em that way.

What do you guys suggest ? Front squats, raised heels, limited range of motion? I also have a safety squat bar, haven't used it yet.

Thanks
Front squats are definitely what you are looking for. The zercher squats are also good but do to the bar placement you will be limited to less weight. Zerchers are also excellent to build your core up.
You never want to do any squats with your heels raised. That is a bad habit to get into. It was actually a training aid someone ran with. It is used with powerlifting trainees to force them to push off their heels and not their toes. The easier safer method is simply to curl your toes upward during the lift, it forces you to transfer the weight to your heels. It also keeps a neutral position on your knees and reduces the shear force on them.
If you want to keep your knees healthy NEVER limit the range of motion on squats. When you limit the range the knee is the breaking system and absorbs the force. Another thing that will help save your knees is making sure your stance is correct. Your feet should be at a 30 degree angle. You want them pointing in the same direction the knee travels as you descend. If your feet are straight ahead when you squat and your knees go out at an angle to clear room for your upper body it is going to cause a twisting of the knee.

cripplerrip

Awards
Thanks for all the responses, any others, I'm still listening.