pullups

michaeljannis

Awards
what's up guys...

my whole life, I have never been able to do a pullup. and I really want to.. lol

so any advice for someone who can't complete a single effin pullup.

where do I start?

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Start with assisted pullups. I'm in the same boat. Unassisted I can crank out 1 or 2, unacceptable! I'm doing assisted until I get those lats used to that motion again.

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
what's up guys...

my whole life, I have never been able to do a pullup. and I really want to.. lol

so any advice for someone who can't complete a single effin pullup.

where do I start?

Go to a Smith Machine and lower the bar about halfway. Sit on the floor under the bar, extend your legs in front of you, put them on the floor and do the pullup. This way you will only be using some of your body weight, and should be able to crank out a few with no trouble.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Go to a Smith Machine and lower the bar about halfway. Sit on the floor under the bar, extend your legs in front of you, put them on the floor and do the pullup. This way you will only be using some of your body weight, and should be able to crank out a few with no trouble.
Good idea, I may try that as well and gauge it compared to assisted pullups. I've seen people doing it before and never tried it myself. You feel a little less self-conscious in a smith machine in a corner of the gym instead of the assisted chin/dip which is RIGHT in the middle. It's as if they do it on purpose....jerks. Thanks for the tip broski.

btw, I JUST repped you in another thread, lol
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Dadof2 again."

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
That smith machine pull up is a good one, but i started training with a friend just under a month ago and he also couldn't do any pull-ups and this is what I had him do, He can get 4-5 now. At the end of every workout for 14 days (lifting 4x per week) do a set of negatives where you jump up into the pull up and the lower yourself as slow as possible. Do this until you can hold yourself. In the third week don't do any negatives, and on your back day just do horizontal movements like cable rows. On you 4 week I bet you will be able to do a pull up or two. Good Luck

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Once you can do a few,I read an article that said to start with pull ups,and do 30.No matter how many sets it takes you.You should notice the number of sets getting smaller over time.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Once you can do a few,I read an article that said to start with pull ups,and do 30.No matter how many sets it takes you.You should notice the number of sets getting smaller over time.
Interesting, I'll incorporate that in as well. I don't care if michael started this thread, I'm learning too yammit. :)

michaeljannis

Awards
Good idea, I may try that as well and gauge it compared to assisted pullups. I've seen people doing it before and never tried it myself. You feel a little less self-conscious in a smith machine in a corner of the gym instead of the assisted chin/dip which is RIGHT in the middle. It's as if they do it on purpose....jerks. Thanks for the tip broski.

I completely agree with the above.. it is always right in the middle. I will for sure try some of these tips.

I hate being the dude that just attempts to do a pullup and always ends up just hanging there.. pathetic!!

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Don't be the kicker/squirmer either!Make it look smooth.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
IF YOU HAVE A PARTNER, JUST JUMP UP AND GRAB THE BAR, Have hime hold them steadyAND KICK YOUR feet back so yoir partner can grab em. Have hime hold em steady, and push on his hands to get yourself up. Lift off on your way down.

Another good way to increase your number is to alternate with your partner: you do one, he does one, you do two, he does two, no rest in between, until you can't finish the number. Pyramid down if you like, but no rest.

Or do x amount every minute on the minute, could be 2-5, until you can't do that number.

Or put up a chin-up bar at home, and do 5 or ten before every time you eat.

or....:D

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Alright guys, does anyone know a good way to be able to do a muscle up? I can do pull ups all day but I can't get the hang of these.

Dancebot 2000

Dancebot 2000

Awards
  • Established
Do a jumping pull up and slowly lower yourself, thus working the negative. Repeat until it takes less than 3 seconds to lower yourself. It's the quickest way to get the strength to do it.

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
i say stick with cable lat pull-downs.
just continue to increase weight over time until you can lift your body weight.
mix it up too - do some wide grip, close grip, behind the head and in front.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
thats the way the military does it too. when they say give me 50 pushups, they are willing to scream at you however long it takes for you to get those 50. if you do 3 then drop to the floor, its not like its over :D

The Batman

The Batman

Awards
lat pull downs and lose some weight.
Also you have to try to do a pullup, many people I have trained when they were unable to do one had pitiful effort and just gave up without really even trying.

The Batman

The Batman

Awards
Alright guys, does anyone know a good way to be able to do a muscle up? I can do pull ups all day but I can't get the hang of these.

Start by doing some sets of very explosive pullups, around 5 reps at max speed. Eventually you will power right over the bar. adding weighted pullups and dips will also help greatly as well.

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established

btw, I JUST repped you in another thread, lol
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Dadof2 again."

Yeah, the assisted pullup machine is almost always the hugest machine in the gym, and its placed right where everyone can see.

The Smith machine method works fairly well, and I really like the idea of hitting the negatives.

And thanks for the reps!

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
batman has some good tips.

also, your strength might be there but your technique and coordination could be holding you back.

pull-ups get you in the motion of pulling straight up but with these you have to pull yourself out away from the bar so you can get over it.

i've done them, but they look extremly ugly when i try them. it's a really tough move!

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
Spent years trying to help guys learn to do a pull up. It was before I knew much about all these weight lifting dos and donts, but just try them every day. Do negs, switch from palms in and palms out, try some wide, med, and some close grip. Do negs all those different ways, try a max effort pull from the bottom with all those ways and try to use a little swing/momentum to help you up somewhat, and just keep working at it.

There was nothing worse than a Marine that couldnt do a pull up, so I made sure that anyone under my charge was going to do pull ups. But back then there were ways to make sure it got done, so youre just going to have to make yourself do it on your own. But youll be able to do it, just keep working at it man.

tadpolar

Awards
if you belong to a gym with a pull up assit machine that could help you

joeflex73

joeflex73

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Was in the same boat at 270....dropping 30 lbs has helped, but also some of each of the above such as 30 reps is a goal now(usually 5 sets now), doing cable pulldowns and the assisted machine all helped greatly. I made it a concerted effort though for a few weeks since I have an abundance of thickness but average width. Backday lately has been barbell rows (just because I have a lot of thickness doesnt mean I dont want more!), pullups, pulldowns to front or rear and heavy to 6 reps, and wide cable rows. Each week Im able to do a little more.....

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
Just read this over at tnation. Found it very funny..

"(By the way, the best exercise for increasing your chin-ups is the Push Away From the Dinner Table You Fat Bastard.)"

greenbra

Awards
The best way I have found for getting someone able to do pulls up is with static and eccentric motions.

grab the bar and literally jump up and hold yourself in a contracted postion at the top of the bar. Try holding yourself for aslong as you can. This helped me way back in the day.

the best thing I think you could do is practice the eccentric part of the motion. Jump up and grab the bar. and try and lower yourself to the ground over a 30second period. Try doing it 3 times in a row. rest a couple minutes and do about 4 sets of this. The follow with some palms facing pull downs with some fairly heavy weight. 4-6 reps.

Hope that helps.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i did 6 unassisted chinups and may have been able to squeak out a 7th today, I was pretty happy about that

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Just read this over at tnation. Found it very funny..

"(By the way, the best exercise for increasing your chin-ups is the Push Away From the Dinner Table You Fat Bastard.)"
I like t nation too!

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established

I completely agree with the above.. it is always right in the middle. I will for sure try some of these tips.

I hate being the dude that just attempts to do a pullup and always ends up just hanging there.. pathetic!!

Updates? I expect a pullup here soon!

Matt6969

Awards
  • Established
I was at the low pullup stage for a while. now i can do 22 palms out going all the way down. when i started i could only do like 7 or so. the way that i improved is alot of PT piramids. i would do up to 200 pullups a night only about 100 on average. and to improve i suggest alot of bent over dumbbell rows and lat pulldowns with the piramid if you really stick to it you will be up to 20 in about 1.5 months.