Arms wont grow

Brolic

Brolic

Banned
Awards
  • Established
my workout was adjusted according to monday and wensday class, but schools out now till late aug

i want a routine that force my arms/delts to grow. since they are lagging, last summer it was legs.. i sqauted 2x a week..ie (1)full hi rep leg workout ,(2) squat and or leg ext for low reps

heres whats ive been doing

warmup-chin up/pull up

sun-delts/chest

tue-BACK,, always tryed to hit 4 lifts for with and 4 for thickness

thu-quads/ham

Friday-arms

Sat- open in case i missed a workout

i know all you guys have myspace.. so myspace.com/h5llidae

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yep, a good way to keep them from growing :thumbsup:

Brian5225

Brian5225

Awards
  • Established
Just be careful, I have experienced overtraining first hand. I usually train arms 3 times per week, but I used to train the entire muscle category of arms. I would train shoulders, tri's, bi's and forearms. But my arms actually got smaller because I overtrained. Some people can do it and get away with it, but I couldn't. Just listen to your body man...

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
I do arms once a week, sometimes i won't do biceps as i don't see the need to do them every week.

and there growing nicely :D

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
hmmm.. my boy told me to stick with 4-6 heavy reps
I find low reps with arms totally useless unless its my last set or something. People are way too concerned with their arms, end up spending too much time on them, overtrain, and let their other body parts miss out on training.
What does your arm workout lok like?

Fever

Awards
Yep, a good way to keep them from growing :thumbsup:
Word!!

I canned arms only days ages ago and it was the best thing I ever did.....my arms are still gaining size and are the biggest they have ever been as a result!

Heavy rows, pullups and chinups are the key......maybe the odd bicep isolation exercise after back training, but thats at the very most!

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
Your arms aren't growing because your doing what every other guy in the gym does when trying to get big arms, your doing isolation exercises. You need to do all compound exercises, your arms will come. You need to squat, dead lift, bent over barbell rolls etc... when working on your arms do standing bar curls and hammer curls and really stress at the top of the movement(squeeze those biceps) and lower the weight slowly with emphasis on your biceps. Other than that it takes time and working your arms 3 times a week will do squat :squat: With compound exercises your biceps are used a lot as stabilizers so they get worked enough.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
You need to gain between 15-20 lbs of muscle to gain an inch on your arms. Get to work.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
3 times is a bit much. If your deadset on doing more volume I would maybe do back say on monday with 3 sets for bi's at the end of your workout, then do bi's and tri's on thursday. For most even that's overtraining. But you won't know until you try it so give it a shot you don't have much to lose. I would say give it a few weeks and decide whether it's right for you or not.

Someone mentioned above that for most of us will grow in proportion to the rest of our body. So really when you gain 10-15lbs you add inches to the guns. Atleast that's what I've noticed myself.

Also their's always going down the IGF route some say there are site specific benefits.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
Your arms aren't growing because your doing what every other guy in the gym does when trying to get big arms, your doing isolation exercises. You need to do all compound exercises, your arms will come. You need to squat, dead lift, bent over barbell rolls etc... when working on your arms do standing bar curls and hammer curls and really stress at the top of the movement(squeeze those biceps) and lower the weight slowly with emphasis on your biceps. Other than that it takes time and working your arms 3 times a week will do squat :squat: With compound exercises your biceps are used a lot as stabilizers so they get worked enough.

been there done that............. the only way my slackin ass arms grow is when i am ON.

i wont argue the basic 3 though. really cant go wrong there.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Chin-ups are you're new best friend. Don't worry about isolation, maybe once a week max.. Do chinups all da matha shuckin' time.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
Word!!

I canned arms only days ages ago and it was the best thing I ever did.....my arms are still gaining size and are the biggest they have ever been as a result!

Heavy rows, pullups and chinups are the key......maybe the odd bicep isolation exercise after back training, but thats at the very most!
i may try this again, no direct train. just the basic 3 compounds...........I service automobiles as a trade, so i think i am constantly overtraining them. I am constantly using my arms pulling, pushing and gripping.

genetics help, thats a fact.

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
Chin-ups are you're new best friend. Don't worry about isolation, maybe once a week max.. Do chinups all da matha shuckin' time.
I was gonna mention chin ups as well, underhand or side hand and focus on your biceps, good shittt.

Fever

Awards
i may try this again, no direct train. just the basic 3 compounds...........I service automobiles as a trade, so i think i am constantly overtraining them. I am constantly using my arms pulling, pushing and gripping.

genetics help, thats a fact.
I wasn't talking about directly training them though! Heavy Rows, Pullups and chinups aren't bicep isolation exercises...they are the key to growth without isolation days!!!

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For me to get hypertrophy to take place in my biceps (I am assuming that you mean that when you say arms) I employ very strict form eccentric work. My biceps grow much better lowering moderate weight in a slow, steady, rate with strict form rather than lifting heavy weight that recruits secondary muscle groups.

Triceps...'nother animal...'nother story :)

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
For me to get hypertrophy to take place in my biceps (I am assuming that you mean that when you say arms) I employ very strict form eccentric work. My biceps grow much better lowering moderate weight in a slow, steady, rate with strict form rather than lifting heavy weight that recruits secondary muscle groups.

Triceps...'nother animal...'nother story :)
Yup the lowering of the weight tears more muscle fibers. There's so much to mention when it comes to growth of different body parts. Eccentric training is so important.

B5 what do you do for triceps?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yup the lowering of the weight tears more muscle fibers. There's so much to mention when it comes to growth of different body parts. Eccentric training is so important.

B5 what do you do for triceps?
Yup there is. I find that TUT is critical.

My tricep training is very hybrid. I am recovering from a C7 nerve injury that atrophied my left side pec, lat and tricep.

So I could detail it (actually I won't ;) ) but it is not at all conventional right now....its very unilateral right now. But knowing my body well and having a good training practice and discipline history already in place I am making great progress.

sesame189

sesame189

Awards
if you are going too do arm day in your weekly cycle stick to 2 exercises for bi`s and tri`s cause they get a work out as support muscles when you doing back and chest anyways

Brolic

Brolic

Banned
Awards
  • Established
A sample work out is

work warm- pull ups.. BB curl bar.

i traiin arms in 1hr max. bc i dont have to strip off weight..

bb curl
cross hammer curl
db alt curl
cable curl
ez curl

rope pushdown
bar pushdown
seated dips
cg bench

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
A sample work out is

work warm- pull ups.. BB curl bar.

i traiin arms in 1hr max. bc i dont have to strip off weight..

bb curl
cross hammer curl
db alt curl
cable curl
ez curl

rope pushdown
bar pushdown
seated dips
cg bench
That's a lot of isolation for the biceps.. Doesn't look like a good setup at all.

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
That's a lot of isolation for the biceps.. Doesn't look like a good setup at all.
Ironically I was going to say the samething, you're beating me to the punch Ozarka!!!!!!!!! but yes.... too much indeed. Two exercises are more than enough assuming all your other lifts are compounds. More is NOT better dude.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
as the others said, pullups/chinups/rows on back day and if you must have an arm day that includes biceps, do nothing more than two exercises maybe three sets each with good form. alternate and mix between hammer db curls, reverse grip bb curls, bb curls, concentration curls.

for tris, do two exercises three sets as well. pick two each time from close grip bench, weighted tri dips, skulleez, and even do some concentration diamond pushups up and down slow. these are just SOME ideas. there are MANY.

oh, and heavy weight with low reps and **** for arms. do high reps (10-12) with good form/low weight. they don't need to be murdered homie, as you should have already done that earlier in the week. WHAT THEY DO NEED is just enough pump/contraction to pump nutrients to them and tear the tears you made previously ever so slightly for JUST A BIT more growth, if you even need them depending on the routine you're on.
DON'T OVERTRAIN BROZAC.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
OH YEAH, and you're ON H-DROL?!?!?! and your arms ain't growing?!?!?! you're prolly already overtraining AND your diet ain't in check i bet.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
post up that diet with the macro ratio if you will. what are you eating?

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
OH YEAH, and you're ON H-DROL?!?!?! and your arms ain't growing?!?!?! you're prolly already overtraining AND your diet ain't in check i bet.
Ya most likely over training. Diets should take care of that so has to check the diet too. Good information for the dude.

WOLVERINE1000

Awards
What do you mean by working your arms out three times a week? Do you mean you train bi / tri on their own day, 3 times a week?

Or do you do something like one pure arms day, a chest back day, and a shoulders / legs day, thus, hitting your arms directly once a week, and hitting them indirectly twice a week?

WOLVERINE1000

Awards
Reason I ask is I've done a program similar to that. One day back / chest, one day shoulders, one day pure arms, and then somehow fit legs in once or twice a week (I'm in law school, so sometimes the leg training has to take a backseat). Anyway, that program, with a good diet with lots of 'tein and carbs seemed to get my arms bigger. Problem is they've plateaued at about 16.5'' - I'd love to get 18''s

But anyway, what's your program like?

Thixotrope

Thixotrope

Awards
Look, just work your arms once a week using 3 exercises, 8-9 sets per muscle group, with heavy weight possible even supersetting.

A little weight makes for little arms. I don't see Lee Priest doing alternate curls with 15lbs. Get some rest, eat right and GET TO WORK!

Brolic

Brolic

Banned
Awards
  • Established
post up that diet with the macro ratio if you will. what are you eating?
well my diet is polly off bc i havent factored that fact that i gain alot of weight over the past 4 months about 14pds... but i try to eat 2x bodyweight =protein and 4xbodyweight=carbs..

but yes im growing,. i had to buy all new my boxers bc my glutes and quads got too big..

being in college an workin FT its hard to cook, so i take alot of weight gainer shakes and 1$burgers and tons of boars head chicken sandwhiches

Brolic

Brolic

Banned
Awards
  • Established
sun- ches-delt
tue-back
thu- legs
fri- arms
sat- in case i missed a workiut due to school/hw/work

Condition1

Condition1

Awards
  • Established
oh, and heavy weight with low reps and **** for arms. do high reps (10-12) with good form/low weight. they don't need to be murdered homie, as you should have already done that earlier in the week. WHAT THEY DO NEED is just enough pump/contraction to pump nutrients to them and tear the tears you made previously ever so slightly for JUST A BIT more growth, if you even need them depending on the routine you're on.
DON'T OVERTRAIN BROZAC.
I agree with higher reps for arms for growth, 10-15 range IMO. As for an arm day, i'm a fan of it with 3 exercises, high reps. It helped my growth.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Hdrol is not known for mass. That mistake one. Its known for good recomp. Uping cals while strength goes up and not gaind to much BF. I personally dint think it was worth it.

I bet if i showed you a pic of my arms and then told you what i did youd listen...then agian most of the guys here have that ability.

Others said the basics, stick to them. 3 times a week unless 2 exercises for 2 set for no more than 10 reps is going on.

EDIT: Only skimmed casue im on my way to lift. BUT try 1(ONE) blast day. maybe 4-5 exercises, 10-12 reps for 2-3 sets each, take a week off and come back with low reps. Worked for me.

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
Know whats really funny? people saying doing arms twice a week will never make them grow yet 90% of the people who say that have never even attempted it.

I do arms twice per week but only do 2 exercises with 3 sets - bis and tris superset. So for the week my total sets are 6 supersets. Look at total volume not how many times you work the muscle per week.

My calves only started growing when I worked them 3 times a week , same with my forearms and twice a week for my delts. The general consensus of why calves should be worked twice or 3 times per week is that they are under constant tension (walking)... well my delts and arms are under lots of tension as well since I work a labor intensive job so it makes sense. I suppose if you sit at a computer all day then this may cause over training. Don't talk **** about a routine unless you have tried it first hand cause body building is ****ed up and sometimes what makes no sense is actually the most effective thing.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
Hdrol is not known for mass. That mistake one. Its known for good recomp. Uping cals while strength goes up and not gaind to much BF. I personally dint think it was worth it.

I bet if i showed you a pic of my arms and then told you what i did youd listen...then agian most of the guys here have that ability.

Others said the basics, stick to them. 3 times a week unless 2 exercises for 2 set for no more than 10 reps is going on.

EDIT: Only skimmed casue im on my way to lift. BUT try 1(ONE) blast day. maybe 4-5 exercises, 10-12 reps for 2-3 sets each, take a week off and come back with low reps. Worked for me.[/QUOT

yeah, i know there are better mass-bringing compounds out there, but if diet/training are in check, from what i've read/saw, people have gained just as much on a 6 week cycle of h-drol as a three week of superdrol, and that is A LOT.

also, i have no discrepancies with what you say regarding arm training, so i'll assume that that info goes to brolic.

thanks for the information, though, mentaltwitch.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
6 week cycle of h-drol as a three week of superdrol, and that is A LOT.

Id like to see those logs/threads. Solo runs. They may look like thy have gained more casue its good for leaning and eats up cals, but the logs i have seen are not comparable. I think your actually the first person to make that statement. This is not an attack, just a point.

Steel = Not sure who that was directed too, but i agree if it was me. I used to do alot of different things till i figured it out to. just got shock it sometimes.
My calves are the same way, but i do 2 days in a row, light. 1 day off, the heavy 3 sets or 20 or soemthing like that.

Brolic

Brolic

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i ran hdrol bc i was mild and its for newbies and i have great gains 208 to 217 as of last friday//

WOLVERINE1000

Awards
Know whats really funny? people saying doing arms twice a week will never make them grow yet 90% of the people who say that have never even attempted it.

I do arms twice per week but only do 2 exercises with 3 sets - bis and tris superset. So for the week my total sets are 6 supersets. Look at total volume not how many times you work the muscle per week.

My calves only started growing when I worked them 3 times a week , same with my forearms and twice a week for my delts. The general consensus of why calves should be worked twice or 3 times per week is that they are under constant tension (walking)... well my delts and arms are under lots of tension as well since I work a labor intensive job so it makes sense. I suppose if you sit at a computer all day then this may cause over training. Don't talk **** about a routine unless you have tried it first hand cause body building is ****ed up and sometimes what makes no sense is actually the most effective thing.
Interesting that you mentioned calves. I totally agree about the calve work 3 x week. I heard that calves and biceps, because they are smaller muscles, can be worked VERY frequently, and therefore, can be worked more. My BB friend stated that biceps, especially for him, recovery quickly. However, I think triceps should only be hit twice a week, TOPS!

WOLVERINE1000

Awards
sun- ches-delt
tue-back
thu- legs
fri- arms
sat- in case i missed a workiut due to school/hw/work
Looks good, my only critique. Arms on Friday does not give them enough time to rest before you hit them indirectly via chest / delts.

Try...
Sun - off
Mon - Back / legs
Tues - off
Weds - Arms
Thurs - off
Fri - Legs
Sat - chest / delts

This is what I used to do.
Mon - Pecs / Back attack
Tues - off
Weds - Shoulders / legs
Thurs - off or maybe arms depending on soreness
Fri - Arms or day off if I worked them on Thurs.
Sat - off
Sunday - legs
Press Restart button

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
That wasn't directed to anyone one person, just people in general.

I have started to train arms twice per week and so far I like it. As mentioned already the biceps are a smaller muscle group so it does make sense they would recover faster. What contradicts this argument is that they get worked with back, and tris with all pushing movements. Nonetheless I am going to give this a shot, cause what do I have to lose, I may hit gold.

Brolic

Brolic

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i cant go to gym on mondays and wensday bc of class.. but sometimes we get early and i will go of i missed a workout....

i always have a tuff time goin to gym on sat bcof the gyms hours... i dont like lifting when the sun is still shining... it sounds werid, i like nite training.

my arms feel rested

WOLVERINE1000

Awards
my arm workout yesterday.

2 sets of BB curls. 40 lbs x 12, 60 lbs x 12. (easy weight o have perfect form and get blood pumping)
2 sets of rope pull downs. 70 lbs x 10, nice and slow. 130 lbs x 10, nice and slow again.
back t a set of BB curls. 80 lbs x 6. Then back to ropes. stacked machine (150 + 10 lbs weight) x 8.

A quick break for the arms by doing some situp exercises for about 5 minutes.

Preacher x 2. 20 lbs on each side of bar x 8. Behind the head two handed tricep extension with a dumbbell x 2. First, 45 lbs x 8. Second, 60 lbs x 8 reps.

Once again, some quick ab work to get my arms a few minutes to heal.

now for the heavy hitters. Chins and dips with dipping belt.
Chins:
5 reps + 10 lbs extra weight
3 reps + 25 lbs extra weight
2 reps + 35 lbs extra weight followed immediately by 2 reps of only 10 lbs extra (drop set)

Dips:
8 reps + 25 lbs extra weight
8 reps + 45 lbs extra weight
5 reps + 70 lbs extra weight, followed by 3 reps of 25 lbs extra weight.

Go home and grow. I did this Friday. I won't be touching the arms directly or indirectly til Monday or Tuesday. Sunday will be a leg day if I get all my work done (law school blows).