Ectomorph in Need of Help

Page 3 of 3 First 123

1. Quote Originally Posted by jpk View Post
    Dave, I'm a die hard ecto and what's really worked well for me is keeping food, even little amounts, in my stomach the whole time I'm awake. I do mean food, not donuts or sugary [email protected] I'm not convinced that the total intake is nearly as important as just spreading it out real wide. Kinda like putting fertilizer on your lawn. I've never really been convinced that eating a lot at one sitting allows for full digestion and utilization of nutrients. Also, most younger lifters I know do not get enough sleep. This is when you heal and grow the best. So many of the vets around here say, "eat, lift, sleep." The only thing I would add to that is Don't Overtrain! Be fully recovered before you go tear down your muscles in the gym. That recovery time is different for everyone, but I think ectomorphs take longer to recover than mesomorphs. Because we're so frustrated (and usually intense personalities) we want to blast right back to the gym before we start to lose anything.

Ok sorry for the rant. Best of luck lil' brotha!
    I totally agree but I find it hard for an Ecto who trains only 3 times a week to ever over train unless he stays in the gym for 2 hours doing 4 exercises each body part sort of thing but if you're looking from week to week you train your body part once a week. If you're eating right and getting enough recovery from your glutamines, vitamins, rest/sleep etc.. than you should almost always be completely healed the the next round.

2. Quote Originally Posted by AlexParty View Post
    I totally agree but I find it hard for an Ecto who trains only 3 times a week to ever over train unless he stays in the gym for 2 hours doing 4 exercises each body part sort of thing but if you're looking from week to week you train your body part once a week. If you're eating right and getting enough recovery from your glutamines, vitamins, rest/sleep etc.. than you should almost always be completely healed the the next round.
    Part of the Ecto problem may be from limiting body parts to once a week. The program I have benefited from the most was a 3x full body routine. When I was on a 5-day split I saw little if any results.
    Here is an excert from the HST website on training frequency:
    "In order for the loading to result in significant hypertrophy, the stimulus must be applied with sufficient frequency to create a new "environment", as opposed to seemingly random and acute assaults on the mechanical integrity of the tissue. The downside of taking a week of rest every time you load a muscle is that many of the acute responses to training like increased protein synthesis, prostaglandins, IGF-1 levels, and mRNA levels all return to normal in about 36 hours. So, you spend 2 days growing and half a week in a semi-anticatabolic state returning to normal (some people call this recovery), when research shows us that recovery can take place unabated even if a the muscle is loaded again in 48 hours. So true anabolism from loading only lasts 2 days at best once the load is removed. The rest of the time you are simply balancing nitrogen retention without adding to it."
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by dawaro View Post
    Part of the Ecto problem may be from limiting body parts to once a week. The program I have benefited from the most was a 3x full body routine. When I was on a 5-day split I saw little if any results.
    Here is an excert from the HST website on training frequency:
    "In order for the loading to result in significant hypertrophy, the stimulus must be applied with sufficient frequency to create a new "environment", as opposed to seemingly random and acute assaults on the mechanical integrity of the tissue. The downside of taking a week of rest every time you load a muscle is that many of the acute responses to training like increased protein synthesis, prostaglandins, IGF-1 levels, and mRNA levels all return to normal in about 36 hours. So, you spend 2 days growing and half a week in a semi-anticatabolic state returning to normal (some people call this recovery), when research shows us that recovery can take place unabated even if a the muscle is loaded again in 48 hours. So true anabolism from loading only lasts 2 days at best once the load is removed. The rest of the time you are simply balancing nitrogen retention without adding to it."
    Great post! To be completely honest I haven't been enjoying Yates program at all! I find I have to motivate myself to get into the gym...and when I'm there it's a mental battle. I didn't have that problem at all with GVT. I think I will be switching to a HST program (I was looking into one anyways) as I completely agree with the one week recovery thing.

4. Quote Originally Posted by DaveWalton View Post
    Great post! To be completely honest I haven't been enjoying Yates program at all! I find I have to motivate myself to get into the gym...and when I'm there it's a mental battle. I didn't have that problem at all with GVT. I think I will be switching to a HST program (I was looking into one anyways) as I completely agree with the one week recovery thing.
    I looked at the GVT when I was looking for something to phase into from a 5x5 cycle. I actually did it last week but did not like it at all. It is hard to describe but I felt more wore out than worked with the amount of reps involved and I didnt like the idea of training legs just once a week. I had looked into the HST before so I have decided to go that route. There is some information http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com

5. Great post Dawaro. If you trained lets say Monday, Wednsday and Friday. The only real time where your in a semi-anticatabolic states only sunday?
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by AlexParty View Post
    Great post Dawaro. If you trained lets say Monday, Wednsday and Friday. The only real time where your in a semi-anticatabolic states only sunday?
    That is the claim of their research. On the HST site it list the actual reference sources if you want to look into it further.
    While I do not claim to be any kind of expert on the subject, although I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express, it seems to make a lot of sense to me. While I was doing the 5x5 I was using a progressive loading scheme and most of the time I was able to increase my weight each workout even when hitting the same body parts 3x a week. I was a little sore at the beginning of some of the work outs but nothing that prevented the lifts or didnt ease after the warm-ups. The theory isnt really anything new. Powerlifters have been lifting multiple times a week forever. And the 5x5 popularized in the 70's by Bill Starr advocated full body work 3x a week. Even programs like Bill Phillips' Body for Life work body parts 2x a week. Bodybuilding is really the only group that I have seen that advocates a 5-7 days between body parts. Is it fact or fiction? I think that is something the individual has to try for himself and see what works for him.

7. Today was my first day trying it out (hypertrophy specific training...I used the workout from this site..."What is the best HST workout?"). I worked out at my uncle's home gym so it was a bit of a pain in the ass having to switch all the weights around but all in all good workout. I noticed that for some exercises the tempo had to be slower than others for it to really burn and get the lactic acid flowing. All in all pretty decent...and really tiring!

I doubted the 15s a little as the weight seems so little but when you go at a slower pace it really burns.

I'll definitely keep you guys posted.

Hey AlexParty...what program are you on anyways?

8. Quote Originally Posted by DaveWalton View Post
    Today was my first day trying it out (hypertrophy specific training...I used the workout from this site..."What is the best HST workout?"). I worked out at my uncle's home gym so it was a bit of a pain in the ass having to switch all the weights around but all in all good workout. I noticed that for some exercises the tempo had to be slower than others for it to really burn and get the lactic acid flowing. All in all pretty decent...and really tiring!

I doubted the 15s a little as the weight seems so little but when you go at a slower pace it really burns.

I'll definitely keep you guys posted.

Hey AlexParty...what program are you on anyways?
    No real program. I have my diet intact. When I go to the gym it's 3 times a week 2 body parts each time with 4 exercises. I usually lift as heavy as I can with little reps around 6-8. I'll do supersets depending on how I worked the body part out. I might try the GVT but I don't like staying in the gym for more than an hour and 30 minutes so I find the 4x4 is perfect.

9. Quote Originally Posted by AlexParty View Post
    No real program. I have my diet intact. When I go to the gym it's 3 times a week 2 body parts each time with 4 exercises. I usually lift as heavy as I can with little reps around 6-8. I'll do supersets depending on how I worked the body part out. I might try the GVT but I don't like staying in the gym for more than an hour and 30 minutes so I find the 4x4 is perfect.
    GVT doesn't take longer than an hour because you only have 60 seconds between sets or 90 if you are doing supersets. It should take under 50 minutes.

10. Quote Originally Posted by DaveWalton View Post
    GVT doesn't take longer than an hour because you only have 60 seconds between sets or 90 if you are doing supersets. It should take under 50 minutes.
    Than I shall give it a try
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. The Ectomorph Workout
    By suncloud in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 117
    Last Post: 03-04-2015, 07:57 PM
  2. Ectomorph Needs Help
    By Stryfe in forum Bulking
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-20-2011, 09:45 AM
  3. 5x5 for the ectomorph?
    By DaveWalton in forum Bulking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-17-2008, 05:12 PM
  4. Rephrase: WHICH 5x5 for an ectomorph?
    By DaveWalton in forum Bulking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-12-2008, 12:41 PM
  5. Confessions of an Ectomorph
    By JoeAverage in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-09-2008, 07:12 PM