Female new to the site

Siciliana 1

Siciliana 1

Awards
Hopefully I am on the right board to ask this question, because I know some of you can be brutal to the newbies. I am currently trying to get more tone, but I do not want to lose my chest in the process. I am 5'8 and 135 lbs. My measurements are 34F-25-35. I would really appreciate any suggestions on a good workout routine and dieting.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I don't think you have to worry about loosing that chest!Nice pic.You should do one with a dead wilted rose. :twisted: I would love the mood of that pic.

Do your cardio with weights.Probably higher reps 15-20.Theirs a girl at my gym who's very toned and it seems to be what she does.Sq's,deads,curls,skull crushers,bench,she does it all with higher reps and plenty of cardio.She is not big,but definately toned.As far as diet goes,thats individual as far as how many carbs and fat.Obvisouly somewhat low with high protien.Get complex carbs too.Rice,oatmeal,and potatoes.Try to avoid other carbs and ofcourse junk.Never drink a coke again!

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Welcome to the fray, Siciliana. It sounds like Pantera has the right idea. Higher reps and cardio for tone. But don't go overboard with the cardio.

Quinoa would also be a good carb/protein source. Don't forget your fish oil. Fats are important too.

Oatmeal and vegetables are great sources of fiber and carbs. The green veggies help with alkalinity and fiber while yams and potatos are sources of complex carbs.

To keep a discussion going...

For tone, would it be a thought to weight train, full body, every other day w/ cardio and possibly do additional cardio on the days in between?

Naturally we'd still want to have at least 1 day a week off...so maybe 3 days of weights (high rep)/cardio(HIIT), 3 days of cardio(non-HIIT?), and 1 day off? Possibly drop it down to just 1 or 2 days of cardio only and increase the number of off days?

I'm not sure if this would work or not for toning, hence for the sake of discussion.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Theirs millions of ways to train and none within reason are wrong.The girl I was reffering to sometimes does cardio before or after training,and sometimes both.She also does a split routine.Just one of the millions of ways though.I wish I had pics,she's retty hot.Shoulders,arms,calves quads,she has it all,but not big at all.I always want to tell ego lifters that they could learn alot if they watched her train and took notes.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Indeed, like I said. That was just one idea I had. So another option would of course be a split routine. Either push/pull days or one muscle group per day (chest, back, arms, legs, etc.) or even upper body/lower body days. Just look through a bunch of the logs on the site and you'll see that there are as many lifting schedules/routines as there are boardmembers. It's about finding the one(s) that are beneficial for you. And of course all of this training with adaquate rest.

Not to go off on a tangent but enough sleep is just as important as your training and your diet. The big three of lifting: Bench, Squat, Deads. The BIGGER three of lifting: diet, routine, sleep.

As for ego lifters, let them curl in the squat rack :) It makes them feel good and it makes me laugh...until I need to use the rack...

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
.As for ego lifters, let them curl in the squat rack :) It makes them feel good and it makes me laugh...until I need to use the rack...
It pisses me off when I don't need it.I said to one guy"i'm going to give it a try and see if I can sq in the curl rack."He kind of looks at me and says "actually it is a sq rack."Just goes to show how big of a problem it is.Then he tells me how it's perfect height and all..........:frustrate:

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
It pisses me off when I don't need it.I said to one guy"i'm going to give it a try and see if I can sq in the curl rack."He kind of looks at me and says "actually it is a sq rack."Just goes to show how big of a problem it is.Then he tells me how it's perfect height and all..........:frustrate:
You're right, I tried to laugh at it, but you're right. I can't stand it either. Manly men curling a bar that's 6' long or whatever with little fivers on the ends. DIESEL!

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You're right, I tried to laugh at it, but you're right. I can't stand it either. Manly men curling a bar that's 6' long or whatever with little fivers on the ends. DIESEL!
lol what if there were 25ers on each end? I'm guilty of this ...I always do barbell curls as part of my routine, but usually I'll take one of the open flat benches to do it on lol

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
lol what if there were 25ers on each end? I'm guilty of this ...I always do barbell curls as part of my routine, but usually I'll take one of the open flat benches to do it on lol
What pisses me off is that you can pick that weight off the ground and curl it.You can't take the weight you're going to sq,and throw it on the back of your shoulders.Maybe if you're doing high reps,but it's not safe or ideal.You should try one arm bb curls on the preacher pad if you curl 95 lbs.I would like to do them,but I wouldn't get a good wo.You might not either.Balancing that long 45lb bar would be pretty damn hard

I use the rack to do stiff leg deads sometimes.I always make sure another rack is open,or look around to see if theirs that guy waiting for me to finish.I would go to the platform and do them there if so.The reason I don't go there in the first place is cause some jacka$$ always leaves the bar loaded,and it sucks unloading.Another pet peave.People that don't rerack their weights.I'm so strong I can bench 315,But I cant possibly take one plate off at a time.

arizonanewbie

arizonanewbie

Awards
Don't worry Siciliana, people here are nice to newbs. As long as the questions are good. Yours is a fine question. Check out Dave Draper's website too, or his book Brother Iron, Sister Steel. Thorough and approachable.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Stop jacking my thread arizona newbie!This is about pet peaves in the gym!!!

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Check out craders log siciliana."classy and competition ready!"It will help you alot.

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
Hopefully I am on the right board to ask this question, because I know some of you can be brutal to the newbies.
welcome to the board, i'm sure you'll get lots of really good feedback and learn some really cool stuff

cheers
:thumbsup:

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
What pisses me off is that you can pick that weight off the ground and curl it.You can't take the weight you're going to sq,and throw it on the back of your shoulders.Maybe if you're doing high reps,but it's not safe or ideal.You should try one arm bb curls on the preacher pad if you curl 95 lbs.I would like to do them,but I wouldn't get a good wo.You might not either.Balancing that long 45lb bar would be pretty damn hard

I use the rack to do stiff leg deads sometimes.I always make sure another rack is open,or look around to see if theirs that guy waiting for me to finish.I would go to the platform and do them there if so.The reason I don't go there in the first place is cause some jacka$$ always leaves the bar loaded,and it sucks unloading.Another pet peave.People that don't rerack their weights.I'm so strong I can bench 315,But I cant possibly take one plate off at a time.

haha yeah I hear what your'e saying. I don't usually use the sq rack for anything but squats, unless the gym is really empty. I have long arms and like to use a wide grip so I like barbell curls. I get a pretty sick pump doing them too. I'm not a fan of the curl bar or of preacher curls. I stick to wide-grip barbell curls and cable curls, with some hammer curls and I'm good ;) Hits them proper

Sorry for helping to hijack the thread lol...way off topic here..

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
haha yeah I hear what your'e saying. I don't usually use the sq rack for anything but squats, unless the gym is really empty. I have long arms and like to use a wide grip so I like barbell curls. I get a pretty sick pump doing them too. I'm not a fan of the curl bar or of preacher curls. I stick to wide-grip barbell curls and cable curls, with some hammer curls and I'm good ;) Hits them proper

Sorry for helping to hijack the thread lol...way off topic here..
We're just initiating siciliana by hijacking her first thread. :) Try curls while doing this.They're called Gironda curls.He's an old bb'r that called them perfect curls.You slightly lean back at first.As you are raising the weight you slightly lean forward.This keeps constant tension on the bi's throughout the full range of motion.They really make a difference.You wont be able to get as many reps as usual.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
And keeping the elbows back through the whole motion while you just squeeeze. That's why I don't like preacher curls, it brings the elbows forward and it's too easy to utilize other muscles this way. You get a much better contraction in the bicep and isolate the musle much better when the elbows are back at your sides.

Siciliana 1

Siciliana 1

Awards
Wow, thanks to everyone for all the replies, I am going to check out the things that were recommended to me. I really do appreciate you guys for taking the time out to answer my question...

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Hopefully I am on the right board to ask this question, because I know some of you can be brutal to the newbies. I am currently trying to get more tone, but I do not want to lose my chest in the process. I am 5'8 and 135 lbs. My measurements are 34F-25-35. I would really appreciate any suggestions on a good workout routine and dieting.
Welcome! We're a wooly crowd, occasionally too "boy"sterous, but many fine folks here.

Here's a link w/ much good info from my old friend "Mistress Krista". She's well worth listening to.

I'd be careful about too much cardio, if I were you.. Read Krista.

And once again, welcome!

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
When I hear the word tone, :frustrate

~ Fundamental Guidelines ~
  • Workout hard - There are many different workout regimes, many that work well. Generally: Strength training is in the 6 rep range / Bodybuilding in the 8-10 rep range. - Rep range warmup: 15 ( sets 1 & 2 ) Working: 10, 8, 6 last three sets add drop sets to failure )

• Fast Efficient Workouts = 1hr - This is not hard and fast but studies have shown that Cortisol rises after 1hr

• Protein shake immediately after workout and then protein meal with carbs etc within 1hr

• Creatine - Mono or CEE you decide. Both before and after workout.

• Daily meals - 5 - 6 day ( including shakes ) protein = 1g per pound of body weight. Meal 1 ( breakies ) is shake plus oatmeal or whatever else you want ( apple is good fibre / system crap mover ), Meal 6 is post workout shake with creatine etc and then solid food meal. Carbs tapered down from morning to evening and fats tapered up from morning to evening. Protein is a constant.

• Sleep 8 - 10 hrs a night ( very imp for all natural BB'ers )

• Supps - Do you note the order in which these are and where supps come??? - a) Multivitamin / B complex b) Whey protein c) creatine e) Test boosters / stacks etc
~ Exercises ~
  • Squats - Biggest muscle and boosts test like crazy, work em hard and see results big time.

• Deadlifts / Chins / Bent over Rows / Pulldowns - 1st attempt either an palm up or palm down chin at the beginning of your back workout, if you can do one, try two, if you can do 15, add weight. Most important for back is to make the mind / muscle connection. Concentrate ( start with low weight and excellent form ) on getting a good contraction and not swinging with the weight. Calm controlled up down with good squeeze of lats at bottom of rep. All about the connection / squeeze

• Leg press

• Flat Bench Dumbell / Barbell - Always swap it up, it takes more muscle etc to do dumbells ( stabilizing muscles etc ) but switch it up - Start with dips to hit lower chest then move to flat bench / incline.

• Core work - Abs / lower back - work the weaker harder.
This should give you a good idea....Best thing for test.....squats ....good form, warm up well, be careful and grow!

Here's some links to get you started:

Training Primer

HIIT High Intensity Interval Cardio Training

Bill Starr 5x5 - Madcow Intermediate or Linear Version

Bodybuilding Nutrition - Sample Bodybuilding Diet

The Training Information Vault (programs, exercises and more) - Bodybuilding.com Forums

Anabolic Diet | Sample Bodybuilders Diet

Siciliana 1

Siciliana 1

Awards
Thank you very much, that was very in depth!!!!:wave:

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
There goes Neo again, pimping his own handy work all over the site. Jerk :)

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I don't like the word tone either neo.But what are you going to do.
It's just "slang" for low bf% with a little muscle.

Siciliana 1

Siciliana 1

Awards
Ok, 1 more question, when im taking my protein would it be ok to take casein pro in the morning and before I go to bed..Then take whey before and after I work out? Also I would appreciate any advice on the best casein and whey proteins to purchase and where I can get them in bulk? Once I get all of the things I need, I want to start a log with pictures of my progress. Im sure I will be using a variety of supplements so which forum should I post my log to? Thanks again to everyone that has been helping me gather all of this information!!!

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ok, 1 more question, when im taking my protein would it be ok to take casein pro in the morning and before I go to bed..Then take whey before and after I work out? Also I would appreciate any advice on the best casein and whey proteins to purchase and where I can get them in bulk? Once I get all of the things I need, I want to start a log with pictures of my progress. Im sure I will be using a variety of supplements so which forum should I post my log to? Thanks again to everyone that has been helping me gather all of this information!!!
I just use optimum nutrition's 100% whey.I eat right before I go to bed,and then drink a regular protien shake in the middle of the night when I get up to go to the bathroom.During the day I mix it with oats,peanut butter,and milk.ON might have a casein protien,they have lots I know.They are probably the best with price in mind.Mifght even be just as good as many expensive ones,it's very popular.I get 5lbs for like $40 at supplement stores.

T

tadpolar

Awards
Know how to punch and kick? Buy a free standing heavy bag and some boxing gloves. Learn the proper mechanics of boxing. All you weight lifters can say what you want but this will tone you up faster than lifting weights and it is a brutal workout of you incorporate bobbing and weaving plus doing timed rounds and going off to jump rope, abs, no weight sumo squats, lunges sit outs what you know about exercising. Lifting weights has advantages, I do lift but lifting weights does not compare to what you gain here, stamina, balance, speed, endrophins overall good feeling when your done

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
Know how to punch and kick? Buy a free standing heavy bag and some boxing gloves. Learn the proper mechanics of boxing. All you weight lifters can say what you want but this will tone you up faster than lifting weights and it is a brutal workout of you incorporate bobbing and weaving plus doing timed rounds and going off to jump rope, abs, no weight sumo squats, lunges sit outs what you know about exercising. Lifting weights has advantages, I do lift but lifting weights does not compare to what you gain here, stamina, balance, speed, endrophins overall good feeling when your done
:cheers:

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
LOL @ Hurley ;)

Toning = bullsh!t word of the fad industry

Toning is the equivalent of high rep endurance weight lifting. Personally I would highly recommend:

1. Learn good form

2. Go as heavy as you can until you find yourself packing on too much muscle :toofunny: I challenge you :)

No dig to you, new AM lady, but it bugs me that ladies think all they have to do is pick up a barbell and they'll get :

But in all honesty it's a challenge to get good muscle packed on.

Much Love,

Neoborn

P.s Sorry if I sound hostile, I'm not just that the Mrs. Neo was suffering from the same condition :)

Siciliana 1

Siciliana 1

Awards
No problem Neo, I just take it all in stride, im just trying to learn from all of you, but I dont want to get as muscular as Lenda Murray.

Siciliana 1

Siciliana 1

Awards
Thanks Pantera 101, I will be looking into both of those a.s.a.p.!!!!