Over training Question. .

JCeltic

Awards
I'm starting to think I may be overtraining on some days at the gym. .

Morning after my workout, I'll feel some soreness (as any other person on planet Earth does), but one of two things will happen. .

1. The soreness will last for a bit longer than I feel it should

and 2. I (as of late) do not feel I've been making the progress/gains I feel I should be noticing at this point.

How do you necessarily know if your over training?
Does everyone reach the point of "over training" at a different moment during their workout??

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
it's not a single point per workout, its an overall burnout of your body. what does your weight/cardio/sleep routine look like?

MB

JCeltic

Awards
I used to be significantly overweight ( around 275-288 lbs ), and have gotten my weight down to 245 lbs.

My cardio routine was 5 miles 3 X a week, first thing in the AM.

And atleast enough calories burned at the gym (through cardio) to equal anywhere from 1,000-1,500 calories X3 a week.

I haven't kept up with my cardio well for a few weeks now, (this is answering the sleep schedule part of your inquiry) due to my insomnia starting to catch up on me pretty bad.

I'm going back to my doctor for the 3rd time to be prescribed something else.

However,

Even when my insomnia was very mild, and seemed to be not happen all the time (parasomic isolated insomnia), I still noticed my above concerns here and there.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
So you aren't doing a weights schedule?

MB

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Couple possibilities here but require some more information on your situation.

1) How long have you been working out straight without significant breaks?

2) I am betting this is going to be the answer. What are your daily calories at? Am I correct to assume you have been severely restricting calories the past weeks to achieve this weight loss?

3) Like MB asked, what does your weight training routine look like?

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
A lack in overall gains is often the first sign. I recall John Berardi having a vertical jump test to asses CNS fatigue and over training but that would require you to know your Vertical Jump when you weren't (possibly) overtrained.

If you post a bit more about your diet and training we might be able to figure something out, but never underestimate the power of a week of from the gym. It gives you time to rebuild and repair, and you will hit the gym harder than ever in a week. I believe a week off is essential every 8-10 weeks depending on how you train, or at the very least a 4 day break if you don't train too intensely. There's lots of good articles about the benefits of taking a week of (and no you won't lose any muscle, quite possibly the opposite!).

Also do you take some BCAA's before your morning run to prevent muscle catabolism? That might help. And also how long are your training sessions typically? Try to keep it around 45-60 mins.

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
I think one thing you could keep checking when you wake up in the morning is your resting heart rate. It's been a while since I read about that but if your overtrained your resting heart rate will be higher than normal.

Thixotrope

Thixotrope

Awards
I would be willing to bet on the insomnia. With little or no sleep the body doesn't have any time to repair itself which is a catalyst for an extremely anabolic state in your body. If you don't sleep one night try skipping the gym the next day. Your body needs to recover from the previous sessions. Also to supplement you could start with Glutamine (5g, 4-5x per day) and Vitamin C (500mg every two hours). I've also read promising studies where ingesting creatine dauly was shown to boost immunity and cognitive function. CoQ10 and Vitamin E are also good to stack.

Maybe try melatonin, 5-HTP, or even kava kava to help you sleep (talk to dr about them first!)