When you reach a Plateau

  1. When you reach a Plateau


    When my size and strength seize I usually take a few weeks off from training or just lift A LOT lighter weights for a bit then continue back to what I was doing.

    What do you guys do? I was thinking this time to switch exercises, lift the same weight but different position Ex. Bench Press --> Chest flys??


  2. i just work the same muscles extremely hard for two days in a row then take about four days off and go back to lifting extremely hard every other day and that works for me.

  3. I do one of two things: either take some time off or change my rep/volume scheme.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

    •   
       


  4. I have had success with changing my rep scheme

    For instance if I have been training very heavy with low reps I will then go to moderately heavy for 15 reps. It is important not to train light and high reps, you still want to push your body (just in a different way),

    I also incorporate things like supersets, or drop sets, half reps, etc. Just anything to shock my body into growth.

  5. Cool I might give that a shot, so basically I would go from 80lbs dumbbell Arnold press to 60lbs Arnold press and do up to about 15-18 reps for a few weeks?

  6. Quote Originally Posted by Dadof2 View Post
    I have had success with changing my rep scheme

    For instance if I have been training very heavy with low reps I will then go to moderately heavy for 15 reps. It is important not to train light and high reps, you still want to push your body (just in a different way),

    I also incorporate things like supersets, or drop sets, half reps, etc. Just anything to shock my body into growth.
    what he said

  7. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I do one of two things: either take some time off or change my rep/volume scheme.
    That's pretty much what I was going to say, but I usually just do the latter.
    NSCA - CSCS

  8. Quote Originally Posted by AlexParty View Post
    Cool I might give that a shot, so basically I would go from 80lbs dumbbell Arnold press to 60lbs Arnold press and do up to about 15-18 reps for a few weeks?
    Listen to your body.

    Try 60's, and if you aren't near failure, farting, squirming, and grinding your teeth while trying to get that 14-15th rep then you need to go heavier.

  9. Great thanks for the input guys..

  10. I have some great workout partners so i'm comfortable knowing that they won't let me hurt myself (drop the weight on myself).

    but, when i get stuck I focus on lifting to failure and then running negatives. Sometimes we'll do full sets of negatives with a heavier weight than usual.

  11. I have some great workout partners so i'm comfortable knowing that they won't let me hurt myself (drop the weight on myself).

    but, when i get stuck I focus on lifting to failure and then running negatives. Sometimes we'll do full sets of negatives with a heavier weight than usual.

  12. i do that occasionaly (heavy negatives) until i cant go any more then lower the weight and do more negatives and then lower weight etc.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Cant seem to reach my goal, plz help
    By LA MIGRA52 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-28-2011, 08:25 PM
  2. The Goal Is Within Reach
    By Wudog in forum Old School Hormone Use
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-25-2010, 07:10 PM
  3. Squating please help me reach max!!
    By maddog28 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 07-21-2010, 11:54 PM
  4. Reach Around
    By jakellpet in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-05-2008, 09:42 PM
Log in
Log in