When you reach a Plateau

1. When you reach a Plateau

When my size and strength seize I usually take a few weeks off from training or just lift A LOT lighter weights for a bit then continue back to what I was doing.

What do you guys do? I was thinking this time to switch exercises, lift the same weight but different position Ex. Bench Press --> Chest flys??

2. i just work the same muscles extremely hard for two days in a row then take about four days off and go back to lifting extremely hard every other day and that works for me.
    •   

3. I do one of two things: either take some time off or change my rep/volume scheme.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

4. I have had success with changing my rep scheme

For instance if I have been training very heavy with low reps I will then go to moderately heavy for 15 reps. It is important not to train light and high reps, you still want to push your body (just in a different way),

I also incorporate things like supersets, or drop sets, half reps, etc. Just anything to shock my body into growth.

5. Cool I might give that a shot, so basically I would go from 80lbs dumbbell Arnold press to 60lbs Arnold press and do up to about 15-18 reps for a few weeks?
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by Dadof2 View Post
    I have had success with changing my rep scheme

For instance if I have been training very heavy with low reps I will then go to moderately heavy for 15 reps. It is important not to train light and high reps, you still want to push your body (just in a different way),

I also incorporate things like supersets, or drop sets, half reps, etc. Just anything to shock my body into growth.
    what he said

7. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I do one of two things: either take some time off or change my rep/volume scheme.
    That's pretty much what I was going to say, but I usually just do the latter.
    NSCA - CSCS

8. Quote Originally Posted by AlexParty View Post
    Cool I might give that a shot, so basically I would go from 80lbs dumbbell Arnold press to 60lbs Arnold press and do up to about 15-18 reps for a few weeks?
    Listen to your body.

Try 60's, and if you aren't near failure, farting, squirming, and grinding your teeth while trying to get that 14-15th rep then you need to go heavier.

9. Great thanks for the input guys..

10. I have some great workout partners so i'm comfortable knowing that they won't let me hurt myself (drop the weight on myself).

but, when i get stuck I focus on lifting to failure and then running negatives. Sometimes we'll do full sets of negatives with a heavier weight than usual.

11. I have some great workout partners so i'm comfortable knowing that they won't let me hurt myself (drop the weight on myself).

but, when i get stuck I focus on lifting to failure and then running negatives. Sometimes we'll do full sets of negatives with a heavier weight than usual.

12. i do that occasionaly (heavy negatives) until i cant go any more then lower the weight and do more negatives and then lower weight etc.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Cant seem to reach my goal, plz help
    By LA MIGRA52 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-28-2011, 09:25 PM
  2. The Goal Is Within Reach
    By Wudog in forum Old School Hormone Use
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-25-2010, 08:10 PM
  3. Squating please help me reach max!!
    By maddog28 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman