Single set workouits

1. Board Supporter
    Answers

Single set workouits

I googled and found several blogs talking a study from the ASCM that for health purposes you can perform single-set routine several times a week obtaining similar results to multiple workout routines in recreational lifters. My question is the following: Is it possible to use a smilar protocol with heavy weights and slow movements to try to increase muscle mass for bodybuilding purposes? I think this will be great specially when cutting, since you can be still energetic at the time of performing your cardio after working out. Any comments?

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Answers

i'd be interested in checking up on what's said. i am not skeptical; i'm really interested. someone talk to the man.

3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Answers

well, in my amateur opinion, now that i just thought of it, you may have some argue that this would not cause enough tearing of the muscle fibers. BUT, i would think that you could do an insane number of reps, like say 30 until you fail at that, and maybe then later that evening, do the same number of reps but with 2.5 lbs. more weight if we're talking plates.

like say, BENCH, the big bad ass exercise the BENCH. i love typing it that way. each time you do it, add 2.5 to the left side, then next time 2.5 to the right side, then 2.5 to both, then next time a 5 on the left side, then next time a 5 on the right, and so on.

amateur opinion, but i see no reason for it not to work. you are not by any means overtraining and you are overloading your muscles. i just wouldn't do it 50 times a week. 5-8 maybe. and i'm not sure going above a certain number of reps would be healthy either.

•   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Answers

a total of 2.5 lbs. advancing each time you do it. you won't always every time be able to add that. you may find you'll plateau. actually, you will. i mean, if it were as easy to just add 2.5 lbs. every week to the barbell, i'd be benching, oh, say, 700....thousand! 700,000 is what i'd bench by now were that to be true.

5. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Answers

Try checking out DC training / dogg crap training. You do one working set per exercise, but it is a rest pause where you go all out for one set, wait ~10secs go again then wait another 10secs and go again. It has a cult following, and has produced some pretty good results.
    Muscle Pharm Rep

6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Answers

can anyone point out good sources nevermind scratch that GREAT sources to find out the proper information on this technique of lifting

7. Board Supporter
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by pmiller383 View Post
    Try checking out DC training / dogg crap training. You do one working set per exercise, but it is a rest pause where you go all out for one set, wait ~10secs go again then wait another 10secs and go again. It has a cult following, and has produced some pretty good results.

Hey, can you tell me any regerences to look for. I think this is really interesting.

Thanks!

8. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by william3162 View Post
    Hey, can you tell me any regerences to look for. I think this is really interesting.

Thanks!
    huh?
    Muscle Pharm Rep

9. New Member
    Answers

My wife and I used DC training with great results. We changed things up a bit and now we are doing more of like what Dorian did, still one set to failure and mix it up with either a rest pause, forced reps, drop set ect. We might start throwing in a bit of Hany's FST7 training. We will still do our one set to failure, but at the end of the workout, hit an isolation movement the way Hany described it. We will experiment with this a bit and keep you posted.

10. New Member
    Answers

I googled and found several blogs talking a study from the ASCM that for health purposes you can perform single-set routine several times a week obtaining similar results to multiple workout routines in recreational lifters. My question is the following: Is it possible to use a smilar protocol with heavy weights and slow movements to try to increase muscle mass for bodybuilding purposes? I think this will be great specially when cutting, since you can be still energetic at the time of performing your cardio after working out. Any comments?
    Post a link to the article please.

11. JDF
    Advanced Member
    Answers

HST - 1 working set 3x a week

12. Board Supporter
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Reverin View Post
    Post a link to the article please.
    I did not find the original article but I am posting a link to a blog related to it.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...19/ai_75085426

13. Board Supporter
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by pmiller383 View Post
    huh?
    I mean "references".

14. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Answers

I mean "references".
    Oh. That makes much more sense lol. If you google DC training I'm sure you will find some good articles on it.
    Muscle Pharm Rep

15. New Member
    Answers

16. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Answers

One great source is to check out is Mike Mentzer's books. His methods are to the single set extremes - but some BBs (Yates for example) have used this method to some extent. I've tried it and it is definitely effective, but like any program, you should switch back every so often. Also, Mentzer's program, or any single set programs, require you to work to failure - this is the most important point to remember. True failure, not "rack the weight when it starts to get tough and your muscles are starting to burn". check it out.

17. New Member
    Answers

I have the original articles....pm me if you want them...not sure if they can/should be posted in the open forum

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Single Digits here we come!
    By FlexW99 in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 106
    Last Post: 08-03-2010, 03:57 PM
  2. Single Best Supplement
    By Future in forum Supplements
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-03-2010, 09:21 AM
  3. getting to single digit bf%
    By keater824 in forum Nutrition / Health