returning to gym after sickness

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64%

returning to gym after sickness

I have recently been sidelined with a pneumonia-like virus and have been out of it for about a week or so, but I am starting to turn the corner. My question is, about how long after I start feeling better should I return back to the gym? I have heard lifting weights is not good for you when you're sick or getting over a sickness. If any of you could help me out with a rule of thumb on this topic, that'd be greatly appreciated!

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.24%

Quote Originally Posted by pride515 View Post
    I have recently been sidelined with a pneumonia-like virus and have been out of it for about a week or so, but I am starting to turn the corner. My question is, about how long after I start feeling better should I return back to the gym? I have heard lifting weights is not good for you when you're sick or getting over a sickness. If any of you could help me out with a rule of thumb on this topic, that'd be greatly appreciated!
    What I've always heard is the day you feel like going back to the gym you should actually wait 3 days past that. Even though you may physically feel better, there are still remenants of virus or bacteria and any further weakening of your immune system could cause you to come down sick all over again. I know that fro personal experience
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64%

Thanks! I appreciate it.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14%

Definitely wait as long as you can.

Your body is very brittle.

I know this from experience. I went to the gym after a week off due to sickness and thought I could start right were I left off. Wrong! Wrong!

I ended up tearing my pec muscle. Take your time and when you go back just do high reps to get your muscles back in the game. Believe me an injury like that is not a good thing.

Similar Forum Threads

1. returning 5a SD.
    By n8te in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-19-2010, 10:13 AM
  2. Returning With a Question.
    By marshalltucke in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-17-2009, 09:49 AM
  3. Returning to the gym finally!!!
    By theJmad in forum Pics
    Replies: 20