I have a buddy that close grips more than he can regular bench? - AnabolicMinds.com

I have a buddy that close grips more than he can regular bench?

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.

I have a buddy that close grips more than he can regular bench?

I have been training a buddy of mine for 4 months, and im not a proffesional or anything but I have helped train a few people through the years, and my buddy couldnt bench press much at all so I kept having him work more on triceps and back, well one of the first things I had him do was close grip bench to get his bench press up, and he did about 50 more lbs than he does on regular bench, and its now been 3 weeks and he has went up on regular bench and closegrip bench but still is doing 5olbs more on closegrip. What is making it like that? ...We both weigh 185 and both 6ft tall and he has lifted 2 months and I have lifted 4 months and I close grip 225-6x he close grips 225-5x but I bench 295-1x and he bench presses 225-1x I never seen anything like it?

2. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

stronger arms than pecs or just bad form???
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by BAARON View Post
    We both weigh 185 and both 6ft tall and he has lifted 2 months and I have lifted 4 months and I close grip 225-6x he close grips 225-5x but I bench 295-1x and he bench presses 225-1x I never seen anything like it?
    I don't understand this last sentence. You said you were training him for 4 months? Then that you have been lifting for 4 months and he's only lifting for 2? Am I missing something?
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by leetuser View Post
    I don't understand this last sentence. You said you were training him for 4 months? Then that you have been lifting for 4 months and he's only lifting for 2? Am I missing something?
    Sorry I worded it wrong, I have been training for 4 months now after a 2 year break from training 4 consecutive years, but he just started training 2 months ago, and he close grip benches a good amount of weight for being so low on all other lifts. I think he just may have really bad form, he says he cant touch his chest for some reason, but I think its just an excuse.
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.

How far apart does he place his hands.. I don't do closegrip it's awkward because I have wide shoulders and when it put my hands that close together it hurts them.. I know when I started lifting my military press was better than my bench press. Either way only lifting for that amount of time and pressing that much is pretty impressive.
  6. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Does he come all the way down when he benches? Or does he do wide grip tricep press like some people actually do.
    NSCA - CSCS
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.

To answer both questions, no he wont bring the bar to his chest, he said it just wont go down that far, and he puts his hands only about shoulder width apart, we are both wide shouldered and I put my hands about 10 inches out from shoulder width. Yea either way it is impressive, ive never seen anyone close grip even close to what they bench press.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Am I gripping the BB too close for bench pressing?
    By Rock Lee in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 09-27-2013, 08:49 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-18-2011, 12:33 PM
  3. My close grip bench & regular grip problem
    By fruitpunch24 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-21-2010, 10:43 PM
  4. Rest-Pause for close grip bench
    By fieldt76 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 9