Is there any workout value in playing the drums?

Matt Skiba

Matt Skiba

Awards
This might sound silly, but I was wondering if there is any physical value at all in playing the drums, more specifically faster hardcore/metal kind of drums.

I'm just wondering since I've been jamming with some friends recently, and I can feel something of a sting especially on my ankles if I'm operating the double kick pedal.

On top of that there are also fast drum fills and solos and upper body sort of stuff like that.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
You will get some. Cardio type at least if you get your heart rate up playing long sets.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hell i get some wailing away on guitar hero haha! However, after that gets old i break out the strat and jam away on some metallica. The wife loves it.......sike :)!

Thixotrope

Thixotrope

Awards
Hell yeah there is! I've been playing in bands for 12 years now and never met an overweight drummer! They usually have excellent muscle tone in arms and legs. My last drummer was shredded but built like a swimmer haha!

Yeah bro if you do blast beats for an entire 3 minute song and rest 30 seconds in between each song, that's just as good a HIIT cardio which has proven benefits.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
There are some fat drummers, but that isn't the topic here, LOL. Drumming is a great full body cardio workout IMHO, as long as you are playing at faster tempos and such.

Fat Drummers: Nicholas Barker (dimmu borgir i think), and Dennis Chambers (awesome jazz/fusion dude).

MB

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
When I used to play drums, my legs (especially my thighs) and arms were pretty damn muscular. It didn't do much for my stomach/chest/back but it was great for my arms and legs. I'd equate it to something like a light jog or brisk walk, as an exercise.

Thixotrope

Thixotrope

Awards
There are some fat drummers, but that isn't the topic here, LOL. Drumming is a great full body cardio workout IMHO, as long as you are playing at faster tempos and such.

Fat Drummers: Nicholas Barker (dimmu borgir i think), and Dennis Chambers (awesome jazz/fusion dude).

MB
Don't forget Vinnie Paul and Gene Hoglan!

I was generalizing =)

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I know I know! I love Hoglan, his work on Symbolic by Death is just amazing! He's also the "real" drummer for DethKlok, booyah!

MB