1. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.62%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

quest for a chest...HELP

SO i am on a quest to help build up my pectorals. they are much smaller than all my other muscles on my upper body. I do bench, inline, decline, pec deck flys, DB flys, DBincline, DB decline, DB flat and still cant seem to get them to grow. I have tried all different WO's.

i have lately been doing military style lifting. i take 5 seconds to lower the bar and 3 to raise it. I also vary it up by taking 5 seconds down and exploding up. all my lifts are pretty high for my weight and i make sure i use as close to perfect form as i can get...yet i am still seeing almost no growth on the upper pectoral. please help me :-D
    - Join Me: Tex89 M-Sten RX Log... Dicing that iron -
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/222790-tex89s-msten-rx.html

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.55%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Have you ever integrated dips into your chest workouts? Dips really helped me with chest development and you can really overload them this way.
  3. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.35%

Quote Originally Posted by TexasLifter89 View Post
    SO i am on a quest to help build up my pectorals. they are much smaller than all my other muscles on my upper body. I do bench, inline, decline, pec deck flys, DB flys, DBincline, DB decline, DB flat and still cant seem to get them to grow. I have tried all different WO's.

i have lately been doing military style lifting. i take 5 seconds to lower the bar and 3 to raise it. I also vary it up by taking 5 seconds down and exploding up. all my lifts are pretty high for my weight and i make sure i use as close to perfect form as i can get...yet i am still seeing almost no growth on the upper pectoral. please help me :-D

Whatever you're doing now, do the opposite for a few weeks and see what happens.
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.62%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by OCCFan023 View Post
    Have you ever integrated dips into your chest workouts? Dips really helped me with chest development and you can really overload them this way.
    yup i do dips with everychest WO, usually using BW+45-100 lbs
    - Join Me: Tex89 M-Sten RX Log... Dicing that iron -
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/222790-tex89s-msten-rx.html
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.55%

What programs/routines have you had success with in the past and what is your current routine?
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.06%

How do you currently train your chest?

If you are currently doing low volume work, then switch to high volume or vice versa.

Here is a method that I picked up from a friend several years ago. I use this whenever I hit a plateau. It is essentially a varient on what is known as a 21 (you may already be familiar with this)

You are going to need a workout partner and a phonebook. The exercise that you will use is the flat barbell bench press.

Rack the bar with a weight that you would normally get about 3 reps with. Get situated on the bench and place the phonebook on your chest. Get your partner to unrack the weight for you, and then proceed to do 7 reps from the phonebook to full extension hitting the phonebook every rep. Then on your eighth rep have your partner remove the phonebook, and then do 7 more reps from your chest to approximately where the top of the phonebook was.

You can also use a weight where you could normally get 5-7 reps, and do 7 from the phonebook up, then 7 from chest to top of where phonebook was, and then 7 full reps. This would constitute a full 21.

This exercise is a killer, and you will likely work to failure. So you don't want to do this more than one time per chest workout.

You could also start doing pushups until failure at the end of your workout for. Maybe put your feet up on a bench to make them more difficult.

Just remember if your chest isn't growing it is because your body has adapted to your chest routine. So just change the routine and your body will be forced to grow.
  7. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.35%

You could also be overtraining, or not eating enough.
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.57%

Here is a good article, might make you "check an ego at the door" since it cuts out bench press =-)

http://ezinearticles.com/?Bodybuildi...owth&id=548826

In theory it does work and I would give it a shot
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.05%

In bodybuilding sometimes less is more. Logic doesn't always apply here. If you're doing 20+ sets for chest...STOP (unless you're taking a substantial amount of anabolics) because your natural recuperative abilties probably aren't that high.

If you try this workout for 6-8 weeks I guarantee you'll see results (assuming you are getting sufficient calories with emphasis on protein and complex carbs and mono/polyunsaturated fats and plenty of sleep):

Incline Barbell Press-5 pyramided sets of 8 up to your 6-8 rep max. ex. 8xbar, 8x135, 8x185, 8x225, 8x275. The last set should be to absolute failure. If you can get 8 on the last set go up on next weeks poundages. If you can't get 6 on the last set its too heavy either go down or get it in spec the next week.

Incline Flyes-I know they're flyes but go HEAVY 3 sets of 8 reps

Cable Crossovers-2-3 HEAVY sets of 8-10 reps

Do it once a week. It may not seem like a lot but I promise you growth will ensue. I did this routine for about two years and gained size and strength the entire time. If your diet and recovery aren't in check though don't expect **** for results. Still having problems? Cut down cardio to 3-20 min low intensity sessions per week.

Also military style lifting is BAD on joints. You're more prone to injury going slow like that. Tendons and ligaments don't appreciate it at all. Remember Force = mass x ACCELERATION. You want to blast the weight up and let it come down as fast you can while still controlling its descent.

Good luck!
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.57%

Quote Originally Posted by Thixotrope View Post
    In bodybuilding sometimes less is more. Logic doesn't always apply here. If you're doing 20+ sets for chest...STOP (unless you're taking a substantial amount of anabolics) because your natural recuperative abilties probably aren't that high.

If you try this workout for 6-8 weeks I guarantee you'll see results (assuming you are getting sufficient calories with emphasis on protein and complex carbs and mono/polyunsaturated fats and plenty of sleep):

Incline Barbell Press-5 pyramided sets of 8 up to your 6-8 rep max. ex. 8xbar, 8x135, 8x185, 8x225, 8x275. The last set should be to absolute failure. If you can get 8 on the last set go up on next weeks poundages. If you can't get 6 on the last set its too heavy either go down or get it in spec the next week.

Incline Flyes-I know they're flyes but go HEAVY 3 sets of 8 reps

Cable Crossovers-2-3 HEAVY sets of 8-10 reps

Do it once a week. It may not seem like a lot but I promise you growth will ensue. I did this routine for about two years and gained size and strength the entire time. If your diet and recovery aren't in check though don't expect **** for results. Still having problems? Cut down cardio to 3-20 min low intensity sessions per week.

Also military style lifting is BAD on joints. You're more prone to injury going slow like that. Tendons and ligaments don't appreciate it at all. Remember Force = mass x ACCELERATION. You want to blast the weight up and let it come down as fast you can while still controlling its descent.

Good luck!
    Good routine since both of you seem to be the same height, maybe build. I remember Charles Glass saying something along the lines of "Once you explode a muscle, its like dynamite, you cant explode it again!" Same concept applies on your methods, good stuff!

Similar Forum Threads

1. Which to believe? Quest Ultra E2 or Standard Quest E2?
    By pcgizzmo in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-04-2012, 10:28 AM
  2. Manifested Quest For Chest
    By manifesto in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-18-2008, 12:30 AM
  3. Flat bench to the chest or couple inches above chest...
    By bbillcee in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-02-2008, 07:30 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-24-2008, 07:51 PM
  5. Chest 2x a week to improve upper chest?
    By AldrichAStern in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-18-2006, 09:32 PM