chest size

H

hawks31

Awards
Need sine help with my chest size. The weight i put up is high/challenging, work my chest the same amount as I do the rest of my body but everything else seems to be getting bigger and my chest is staying the same size. What can I do/should be doing to get my chest size where I want it?

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
You could try switching your rotine up.

Maybe do 10 sets of 3, or 4 sets of 12 or 3 sets of 10 and try doing different tempos like doing slow negatves (down portion of the lift).

H

hawks31

Awards
im 5'5" 170. can put up 225 x5 bench. i try switching up my routine all the time. for instance one week (i have designated days for each muscle group... tri, back, leg, chest, bis) ill do all dumbell presses and the next week il do all barbell also switching between cable flys and dumbell flys.

Thixotrope

Thixotrope

Awards
Try a good shock routine every couple of weeks. Maybe something like this:

Incline Barbell Bench-3 sets x 6 reps
Flat Dumbell-3 sets x 10 reps
Cable Crossovers-3 sets x 15 reps

The catch is to Triset these 3 exercises only resting in between every triset.

Incline-->Flat-->Cable-->rest for 30 seconds and repeat

There are hundreds of shock rountines so get creative. You could 10 sets of 10 reps for one exercise. You could do 100 rep sets. Something extreme to surprise your muscles and stimulate some new growth.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I have the same problem, just started to overcome it.
My chest is my weakest part of my body, I can also throw up 225 for 5 though, but growth is the slowest in my chest.

I feel like I hit my shoulders too much when I do chest, my shoulders are waaaaaaay larger in comparison too. My delts are big. Wish I had the same thing going for my chest lol.

Lately I've tried doing different things like holding the contraction longer, various rep ranges, slow negatives, and less range of motion on bb press since I'm tall (stresses the shoulder less this way and lets you focus more on your chest by keeping your chest contracted throughout the motion). Seems to be working now, but I'm in a cut/recomp. Definately noticing more definition and more of a ripped look on the inner/upper pecs now though, which were lacking before.

Thixotrope

Thixotrope

Awards
Gutterpump, I know a big focal point in my chest lifts involve me pinching my shoulder blades together and holding them there for the duration of my set. This takes as much pressure off the delts as is biomechanically possible by spreading my chest wide and minimizing front delt involvement.

Try focusing on your shoulder blade position next time though(if you don't already). After I starting doing that I took it a whole new level.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Gutterpump, I know a big focal point in my chest lifts involve me pinching my shoulder blades together and holding them there for the duration of my set. This takes as much pressure off the delts as is biomechanically possible by spreading my chest wide and minimizing front delt involvement.

Try focusing on your shoulder blade position next time though(if you don't already). After I starting doing that I took it a whole new level.
I'm finding this kindof odd now to hold for the duration, I'm so used to pressing as far up as I can with power, that my shoulder blades automatically move out and forward. Maybe I should just drop the poundage down some and try to learn this all over again.

Reverin

Reverin

Awards
I would drop down, I just did my chest today with 3 seconds down, pause for 2 seconds then contract up. 185lbs was challenging and I normally warm up with 185, but definitely a challenging workout and would highly recommend dropping weight due to its structure and form emphasis.

Thixotrope

Thixotrope

Awards
I'm finding this kindof odd now to hold for the duration, I'm so used to pressing as far up as I can with power, that my shoulder blades automatically move out and forward. Maybe I should just drop the poundage down some and try to learn this all over again.
Yeah at first it seems as if it limits your range of motion but when the shoulder blades separate near the top of the lift that's the moment when the emphasis gets shifted from the pecs to the front delts. Its something I got used to and if you analyze this change you'll find that you're keeping continuous tension on your chest instead of giving it a breather when you hit the top and lock out.

I noticed this when watching powerlifting and bodybuilding videos too. It may be a bit of a downer when you have to take the weight down but when your chest starts stretching your shirt who cares right? :bb3:

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
I noticed this when watching powerlifting and bodybuilding videos too. It may be a bit of a downer when you have to take the weight down but when your chest starts stretching your shirt who cares right? :bb3:
You have to ask yourself "Am I in it for the weight I use or am I in it for the looks (making myself appear bigger)" Personally i'd opt for the latter any day.....

Reverin

Reverin

Awards
Biggest thing I learned from Charles Glass was checkin the ego, hardest thing to do to...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Anabolics 7
G Training Forum 1
kashra General Chat 2
J Training Forum 8
boricuarage Training Forum 12